Search similar:

uniqs

inthebutt
@69.118.94.x

inthebutt to lorenzo4

Anon

to lorenzo4

Re: [Electrical] Fixed Rate on Electricity Ends Nov 30 --seeking new Supplier

Don't feel bad, the f***ing fed gov changed my locations "capacity zone"...so prices should be going up 10-20% on power, they WANTED power to go up... that was the reason for the change. AND the poco wants to raise rates like 10%...

One year get f'ed for 30% increase.

Oh and I have a basic service charge of $24/month just to have a meter on the house.

Low bill is .12 /kwh.

Over the past winter it went up over .20/kwh

Delivery costs me more than the "power" what a joke.

disconnectef
@32.217.45.x

disconnectef to joewho

Anon

to joewho
Some of these utility bills look like they could be from the 1970s! I can't remember a bill under $100 in the last 20 years. Right up through the mid-'90s, I didn't worry about my electric usage at all, with eight 4-tube troffer fluorescent lights burning all day and most of the evening in my studio, my HP Laserjet II laser printer running 24/7 with its 800W fuser lamp, my huge sound system running as background music all day and night, ten PAR38 incandescent floods in the livingroom ceiling, a 175W merc vapor lamp that came on during dark (photo controlled), electric space heaters in the winter, and much more.. bill was always under $100. Then came 2002, and suddenly the bill became $160 when the split between generation and delivery charges came along. That's when I started fixing things, replacing incandescents with CFLs, shutting off the outdoor lights. Switching to inkjet printers. For background music, I stopped idling my 17kW sound system for background music and got myself a little mag field amplifier that uses only 38 watts playing at soft levels and reserved the full frontal music listening to Thursday nights. In the past 3 years, I have converted ALL of the lighting to LEDs. The PAR38s upstairs are all LEDs now. The troffers downstairs are LEDs. Desklamps, track lighting... all LEDs. The only energy pigs are my two overclocked Q6600 based workstations, with hot running nVidia GPUs and 6-10 physical 7200 rpm hard drives in their server cases, plus four external USB drives for backup connected to each machine. This is all on a 3000VA UPS, which runs off a Sola-Hevi Duty CVS transformer. There are surge protectors at the Cutler-Hammer breaker panel and they consume a not insignificant amount of power as they get warm to the touch in normal use.
There are six of us in our family and everyone's got at least one laptop and tablet and a couple of cell phones each. I have no idea how many chargers are plugged in at any one time, but I'm certain these phantom loads add up to significant consumption too.
With the average bill being in the $400-600 range now, depending on how austere we are, and with the forecasted increases due to shutting down coal fired plants, that solar array I've been thinking about is starting to look almost viable.

horsey
@208.103.232.x

horsey

Anon

Are you on the hook for a NPP
I pay 14 cents + $12.00 a month at a tax rate of 5% and I thought that was high.
Expand your moderator at work

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit

mityfowl to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected

We've been deregulated in Tx. for over 12 years. From the beginning I spent an hour or 2 once a year shopping the rate and was always able to beat the primary supplier by 20-40%

This year is $.091/kwh, last year was $.081, these are always 1 year contracts with penalties for early out. The companies usually have mo-mo, 3 mo 6 mo and occasionally I have seen 2 yr. That's total bill/kwh. The suppliers have gotten trickier over the last couple years. You have to read and sometimes call the billing company.

I always go fixed not variable. 1year. I wouldn't like to do it more often than once a year but you might be able to save some money, or not

We use a lot of electricity for 4-5 months so it really pays to shop. 2-3000 kwh is common in the summer.

Most TX electricity is generated with NG but there is also coal and nukes.

I've had 1 or 2 companies go out of business mid stream but it wasn't a big deal.
mityfowl

1 edit

mityfowl to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
I think the PUC made this »www.powertochoose.com/ and it's a good starting tool.

For you guys getting or deregulated hope you have something like we do.

Damn I forgot to mention right now if I was signing up there are a number of choices at $.077-$.084.
contsole
Premium Member
join:2003-12-30
Newington, CT

contsole to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
I think I got the same letter from my generation supplier in CT. I checked the comparison website and shockingly it appears that CL&P might be the best choice. There was one lower but only for 3 months. They don't make it easy to switch back. There are buttons to choose any supplier but CL&P. You have to call and if you follow the voice prompts, it simply points you back to the website and leaves you at a dead end in the phone tree. Get an agent and they will make the switch for you. Now I just have to make sure that some ridiculous cancellation charge doesn't show up on my bill in a few months.

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
I used to save the 10-20% here in NJ with 1year fixed rate plans from various suppliers over the last 3 years, but something changed over the last 6 months or so. I can no longer find any suppliers who beat my local incumbent. I have reluctantly switched back both my electric and gas to the big boys...looks like they won in the end.
Jackal1
join:2010-08-10
Lincoln, NE

Jackal1 to disconnected

to disconnected
Geez makes our rates here look pretty good:
Residential Service:
Customer & Facilities Charge Single Phase $/BILL $11.15
Energy Charge $0.0995 (summer) $0.0730 (winter)

That's including delivery and energy.

disconnectef
@32.217.36.x

disconnectef to mityfowl

Anon

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

I think the PUC made this »www.powertochoose.com/ and it's a good starting tool.

For you guys getting or deregulated hope you have something like we do.

Damn I forgot to mention right now if I was signing up there are a number of choices at $.077-$.084.

"No plans found. Your zip code may not be in a service area open to competition."

What's a NPP? I know that our town voted against Sempra Energy building a plant here 15 years ago. Some believe we are being punished for this with higher enerby rates than tne rest of CT.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
I think you misunderstood what I posted.

My link is only for Texas.

I hope YOUR state has a tool like this.
Expand your moderator at work

horsey
@208.103.232.x

horsey to disconnectef

Anon

to disconnectef

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu ··· er_plant
Just a bad idea them things

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

said by disconnected :

I did some shopping around, and all of the suppliers advertizing in CT are over $.10/kWH

The state mandate a minimum percentage to be from renewable sources.
I am on UI, suddenly their rate becomes more attractive for my usage pattern - I would average $0.086 and their rates can be predicted well in advance)

CL&P here, using Con Ed. Just got my renewal letter and they want 11.56 cents, it looks like CL&P is actually cheaper at 9.9.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G

MVM

said by ptrowski:

CL&P here, using Con Ed. Just got my renewal letter and they want 11.56 cents, it looks like CL&P is actually cheaper at 9.9.

Not for long... CL&P just announced that they're seeking a rate hike (to approx. 12.5c/KWH) come Jan 1st...

-Tursiops_G.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

oooof

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to Frink

Anon

to Frink
Apparently, the independent energy market isn't what it's cracked up to be:
said by Systrum Energy :
Do to the extreme fluctuations in the wholesale energy markets Systrum Energy has decided to disengage from the electric energy supply side of our business.
All electric accounts have been transferred to their preferred alternative electric suppliers.

While we currently continue to provide gas service to customers, we are not accepting new customers at this time.

The decision to take these actions was designed by our management to protect our customers from the impact of price increases and reduced energy supplies caused by the historic weather conditions this year.
(Google the company if you want the source page.)

Termites
@174.64.136.x

Termites to pjsutton

Anon

to pjsutton
I pay 9.7 cents per kWh, Warner Robins Ga.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
I had a door to door salesman show up selling solar panels with free panels and free install. The catch, they charge for usage at 10.7 kWh and the rate is locked for 20 years. He said I could do it if the landlord signed off on it.

I don't even know how much I pay for electricity anymore other than the bill is so confusing (I have the discounted rate due to disability) and I just look at the total due and pay it. I also take aggressive measures to save electricity like shutting off lights and I changed the timing on my porch light to shut off at 2 AM instead of sunrise.

But my electric bill is at least $125 a month. By comparison my former neighbor in Iowa gets bills that are not nearly as high but Iowa does not have deregulation and his house is only 60 Amp service.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy See Profile
I don't even know how much I pay for electricity anymore other than the bill is so confusing (I have the discounted rate due to disability) and I just look at the total due and pay it. I also take aggressive measures to save electricity like shutting off lights and I changed the timing on my porch light to shut off at 2 AM instead of sunrise.

But my electric bill is at least $125 a month. By comparison my former neighbor in Iowa gets bills that are not nearly as high but Iowa does not have deregulation and his house is only 60 Amp service.

How do you get a discounted disability rate? How does that work? I've never heard of it and there are thousands that have a disability.
It's simple to figure out. What you pay including taxes, fees and add on items and the kilowatts. That's the effective rate per kilowatt you are paying.

What does a 60 amp service have to do with it? I can suck up a lot of kilowatts with 60 amp.
[/bquote :

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
You had Dominion and now NRG took over, same with me. I went with Con Ed for a 2 year fixed rate as they seemed the lowest. Now CL&P is looking to raise their rates again so the delivery fee still may rise. I still filed a complaint with the DPUC as the rate was not honored.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Jack in VA

Premium Member

to Jack in VA
Massachusetts requires that DPU regulated utilities discount rates for people that meet the qualifications.

It's still a lot of money even with the discount. When I was growing up $50 electric bills and $70 gas bills (in the winter) were the norm. And that was with an inefficient floor furnace.

My point is electric deregulation (splitting generation from distribution) was a mistake. Iowa does not have that nonsense and their rates are cheaper. And they don't mandate low income discounts and less fortunate people (like my former neighbor, who is disabled) don't struggle to pay utility bills as much as they do here.

If they don't have deregulation (like Iowa) then the utility has to make rate cases (to justify the entire rate) before the DPU every six months.

disconnectef
@32.217.40.x

disconnectef to Sr Tech

Anon

to Sr Tech
I heard today that the DPUC approved the rate increase. Oh boy another 29%!

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech

Premium Member

They did, so I would assume the delivery fee will rise as well. disgusting. All utilities should not be allowed to exchange on the stock market due to they only really raise rates for the share holder.I wonder if any of the share holders are working for the dpuc? mmmmm there is something to look into.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to horsey

Premium Member

to horsey
said by horsey :

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu ··· er_plant
Just a bad idea them things

Why do you say that? Especially in the United States they are one of the most dependable and trouble-free service of energy we have. In addition they have a very low impact on the environment.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by Msradell:

In addition they have a very low impact on the environment.

That is debatable, but I would disagree.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Im from pennsylvania where a lot of that coal comes from. We also have a lot of nuclear power plants. Nuclear plants by far have less a impact on the environment.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I think this is off-topic for this forum but what the hell. The damage from coal to the environment can be measured in centuries. The damage which is possible from a nuclear plant failure is measured in millennia. Considering nuclear power has not even been around for a century your assessment of risk is very short sited.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

We dont live in the soviet union or a depressed japan. They are safe here. The closest we have come to any nuclear disaster was 3 mile island which is in my backyard and that was what 40 years ago. I still have 10 toes and 10 fingers after living thru it

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Once we have safely disposed of all the nuclear waste which has been created to date then come back and tell me how safe they are. Until then you can't really even put a price on the energy created.