spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RyanJ
@204.203.50.x

RyanJ

Anon

Dual-modems in new house?

I just bought my first home, and it's 2-story. I can't afford to have an electrician come and wire it for ethernet until probably February, but I need a wired connection for my desktop upstairs.

I have my media server and wireless router (Asus RT-AC66U) downstairs with the modem. There is another coax connection upstairs in my room, and I'm wondering if I can leverage that somehow to bring a wired connection there.

Suggestions?

flwpwr
@24.113.96.x

flwpwr

Anon

2 modems likely means 2 separate accounts which is roughly $50-$100/month extra.

Your realistic options are:

1 add a wireless receiver to teh upstairs computer, and hope the router covers the range.
[the usually better way to do this is buy a cheap wireless router that supports natively or through third party firmware the ability to act as a wireless to ethernet bridge. As routers are generally better at both receiving and transmitting than the usb addon cards they sell. You can also by an internal card to add to the PC, but those are going the way of the dinosaur and probably hard to find these days, plus probably older tech.

2. Try moca over the coax.
3. Down and dirty hole drilling in walls to run the Ethernet yourself. Just be sure to get some sort of sealant to fill the holes after you insert the cable through them. Some some of plastic clipped attachment for the outside of the house to run the wire around it, and a detectoir that can find power wires before you drill.

RyanJ
@204.203.50.x

RyanJ

Anon

I've looked at MOCA via coax, and it looks interesting. Do you have any experience with it?
teeitup
join:2010-03-15
Port Orchard, WA

teeitup

Powerline adapters are another option. They are getting cheaper and faster and can be very reliable depending on electrical wiring.

flwpwr
@24.113.96.x

flwpwr to RyanJ

Anon

to RyanJ
Other than what my company does [comcast]for anyroom dvr service no. I have one sub that uses it but I never touch his stuff so all I can say is he likes it.