spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Black20VT
join:2003-05-30
UK

Black20VT

[WIN7] Network drive not consistently connecting on startup

I've recently set up 4 PC's to share a Synology network drive in a small office.

But there's a big problem, in that 75% of the time, when starting up, the network drive is reported as not connected. But a few seconds later, everything connects. However, all user files including links, desktop items etc are on the network drive so don't come up. A few seconds later, or a refresh and the desktop items do, but not the taskbar shortcuts.

This is on 4x W7 Pro PC's with SSD's running on WiFi.

It's almost as if the PC starts on the SSD's too fast before the wifi connects, reports the lack of network drive, then the wifi connects and it's back, but by then shortcuts are lost etc.

Can anyone advise on help, as this is a really big issue each time the PC's start up.

Thanks.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by Black20VT:

It's almost as if the PC starts on the SSD's too fast before the wifi connects

Indeed it is exactly like that. There's no inherent synchronization that will defer login until such time as 'everything you might need' (including network) is ready. This isn't really an SSD issue, just that you happened to have slower startup before you got the SSD, so you got lucky.

I think there's a policy setting that helps. Let me look.
dave

dave

Premium Member

Click for full size
OK, here it is. Run the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) and look under Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon.

Black20VT
UK

Black20VT

Thanks for this, but unfortunately, it's not worked?

What else can I try?

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

What antivirus are you using?
Have you tried the enviroment with a clean boot?
»support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Or
»support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
Is it still having problems using these troubleshoot links?
(Just remember to reset everything after)

I also remember topics here a while back utilizing the IP address instead of the computer names for sharing needs.
Maybe it was "how to share between Win 7 and XP" that might dig up the topics in a search.

Have you tried resetting the wireless router.
What is your router model?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Black20VT

Premium Member

to Black20VT
Disable automatic logon so users have to logon manually, which will inject some delay into the procedure?

Use roaming profiles? (Not sure you can do that with a plain NAS rather than a DC)

Fundamentally, though, you have to recognize that you're trying to make the system guarantee something it does not offer a guarantee for.

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC to Black20VT

to Black20VT
You could set the HDD Hibernation for the Synology to none. It's under Hardware & Power. Once done, it'll always be up and running.

Black20VT
UK

Black20VT to dave

to dave
Thanks for the all the pointers. Changing from wireless to gigabit LAN has helped, along with adding a login password to slow things down

Thanks all!
Black20VT

Black20VT to StephenRC

to StephenRC
Already done, as I do that as standard procedure. I did double check though after your pointer