spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

1u server with specific requirements

Looking for an inexpensive barebones 1u server that's has to have these specific requirements. The big think is the HDCP compliant output

2.5 GHz or faster dual-core or quad-core 64-bit (x64) processor
1 available PCI Express (PCIe) slot, which can be either an x1, x4, x8, or x16 type slot
HDCP-compliant graphics card or on-board graphics
No NVIDIA nForce motherboards or chipsets
Has to have bays for cd rom and 2 sata hard drives

If someone can point me in the right direction I would apreaciate it.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Most importantly, what is your budget for this?

Given the HDCP requirement I assume this is for HD video streaming so a low end video card is OK? It's highly unlikely that a server is going to have DVI/HDMI ports on it as they are generally still VGA only so you're almost certainly going to need a video card.

Given that, the PCIe slot you desire, is that for the video card or is that for something else? In other words, you're likely going to need TWO slots, right?

As for the drive bays, what size drives? Two 2.5" or 3.5" drives? Most 1U servers will use laptop drives for optical or are you expecting a 5.25" bay as well (can almost guarantee you this is not going to be possible)?
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

Yea. I'm trying to downsize my computer I'm using now my windiws media server. I'm using a ceton infinitv card. I would even consider a 2u server but the place I wanna put a small wall mounted rack has limited space. I'm gonna be using a 2.5" sata drive fir my boot drive and a 3.5" drive for the recordings.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Ahhh OK, so two PCIe slots, and two drive slots (either one of each or both 3.5" with an adapter). Laptop sized optical drive is likely OK in that case too. Budget?
azradio
KG7JQM
Premium Member
join:2003-12-29

azradio to nyrrule27

Premium Member

to nyrrule27
While what you're asking is totally do-able, you might want to consider the amount of noise that a 1u case, server or otherwise, is going to make. That is going to have a lot of little tiny fans that spin real fast. Not pleasant in your home theater room, for sure.

You can mitigate that a bit if you use a 1u case and put a regular motherboard in it. You'll have to skip RAM with huge colorful heatsinks and locate a special low-profile cooler for the CPU, but I have built these for bars to play back content and they get the job done. I would certainly steer clear of off the shelf server hardware though, as it will be INSANELY loud.

I'll let others chime in for hardware suggestions, but I did want to throw my two cents in.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_ to nyrrule27

Premium Member

to nyrrule27
1u blades Are VERY LOUD just a fyi

the little fans spin at 12 to 20,000 RPM with only 9-12CFM the db level is about 100-110db

even with PWN fans it's still LOUD

your going to want at lest a U4 blade so you can use a standard heat sink

I use 1u heatsinks with a standard intel fan with PWN stole it from a 775 heatsink I had

the unit is fairly quiet and cool 35C idle not too bad for a dual "quad core" set up
but these heatsinks have about 3 pounds of pure copper each
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to azradio

Premium Member

to azradio
I agree, those tiny fans are going to be horrible for an HTPC setup. He did say a 2U would be acceptable which would get him ~80mm fans and be much better (all of my off-the-shelf 2U servers are whisper quiet once they settle down after initial boot so I'm sure a custom built one can be much quieter). I'm still waiting on a budget number personally but maybe I'll throw something together in a little while and hope it fits.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to nyrrule27

Premium Member

to nyrrule27
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($97.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($69.97 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $240.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-09 20:35 EST-0500

You didn't give me a budget so here's what I've come up with. This build assumes you will transfer the Ceton TV card and storage from the existing computer. Can also transfer the power supply as most 2U cases will take ATX power supplies. Do you have the low profile bracket still for the Ceton card? If so, virtually any 2U case will work as they use upright low profile slots. If not, you will need to get a case with horizontal slots and use a riser card such as this: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -Product. I did not include a case simply because I did not know which one you needed and PC Part Picker doesn't support rackmount cases. The ones I saw on Newegg were all around $60-75 or so and they all fit your other requirements.