spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Apache77
join:2011-11-13

1 edit

Apache77

Cable speed upgrades coming for Quebec?

I love TekSavvy, but I have to admit that the enemy is looking more and more attractive these days.

Videotron has unlimited 120/20 for $100.95/month, and unlimited 60/10 for $78.95/month. Bell has comparable packages. TekSavvy's unlimited 60/10 costs $134.95.

I'm paying $84.95/month for TekSavvy's unlimited 30/10, and I'm basically happy with it, but after seeing the competition I've got a wandering eye.

I hope TekSavvy is going to up its speed/bandwidth limits soon, because I'm not sure how much longer I can stay stick with them with such attractive competition (and I'm saying this as someone who loathes Videotron).

Come on TekSavvy. Give me a reason to stay.

edit: I should add that the Videotron prices I mentioned above include a $10 discount for being bundled with TV or phone, but still ... tempting.

johnny532452
@198.84.254.x

johnny532452

Anon

I'm also still tempting.. I'm on teksavvy 15/10 and I paid 63.95$/month

I can have 30/10 for the same price with videotron (I have a tv) and I will get no more slow down time at 7pm. Sometime I can't even watch netflix in 1080p because the period of 7-9pm is slow.
joychung
join:2010-03-28

2 edits

joychung to Apache77

to Apache77
normally I don't do reply cause I'm lazy. cause u are in quebec and mine too, I give u some thing point out:

1- Teksavvy is reseller of videotron. if u get slow speed with teksavvy u also slow when with videotron. They don't control much speed.
2- I believe that Teksavvy will adjust their price when more people demande it.
3- Teksavvy is the reason that Videotron force to lower their price. I remember those days where Videotron remove the unlimited option and don't care their client quit cause no competition out in quebec support cable.
4- Videotron never open business for lose so expect some surprise happen in bill when bundle their service with the famous line I still remember ("contribution to improve cable network")

U will see better profit with videotron if u bundle their service. for the speed of 120 and up u need to call videotron if they able to provide to ur addresse and with the price they advertise. Even on their website it say my house in montreal near they HQ of videotron not available for speed over 60 here.
joychung

joychung to johnny532452

to johnny532452
1- get 30/10 for 63.95$ + 30 with unlimited = 93.95$ for 30/10
2- get 30/10 for 53.95$ + 10 for unlimited + (obligation) TV 46.00$ + free illico terminal
3- get 30/10 for 53.95$ + 10 for unlimited + (obligation) TV 38.00$ (lowest from website) + 6.99$ illico terminal rent
4- get bundle = Tele + internet 30/10 unlimited for 79,95$/month for 3 month after that 4e to 24e month : 106,89 $ this is 2 year contract underlying.

do ur math.
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain to joychung

to joychung
said by joychung:

normally I don't do reply cause I'm lazy. cause u are in quebec and mine too, I give u some thing point out:

1- Teksavvy is reseller of videotron. if u get slow speed with teksavvy u also slow when with videotron. They don't control much speed.
2- I believe that Teksavvy will adjust their price when more people demande it.
3- Teksavvy is the reason that Videotron force to lower their price. I remember those days where Videotron remove the unlimited option and don't care their client quit cause no competition out in quebec support cable.
4- Videotron never open business for lose so expect some surprise happen in bill when bundle their service.

U will see better profit with videotron if u bundle their service. for the speed of 120 and up u need to call videotron if they able to provide to ur addresse and with the price they advertise. Even on their website it say my house in montreal near they HQ of videotron not available for speed over 60 here.

1. Generally true, but the reality can be a bit more complicated than that.

2. Many of TekSavvy's costs are based on sweetheart tariffs that the CRTC gave to the incumbents without doing sort of due diligence. I don't think there's as much room to maneuver here as we all might hope. TekSavvy still remains the superior value for cord-cutters, and I don't have to fuddle-duddle around with some loyalty twerp to get a fair price.

3. Thankfully, the CRTC imposed third-party access on cable network operators. Let's hope TekSavvy and CNOC don't put their foot of the gas in the struggle to get the Cable Cos to treat TPIA and TPIA customers equitably.

4. TekSavvy generally has much more transparent in their billing and in their communications than any incumbent that I've dealt with. I've Never dealt with another TPIA, but TekSavvy's point of presence on DSLr is challenged by few and matched by none.

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to Apache77

to Apache77
I'm one of those that jumped on the $79.95 for 1 yr promotion at Videotron. Well the truth is pricing went up $3.50 within 3 months, we will be going back to TSI before the 12 months are up. The service is spotty at best, I had to power cycle (removing battery off modem) a few times since we got the service.

I can achieve better stability on my old VDSL2 connection + voip.ms.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Apache77

MVM

to Apache77
TekSavvy offers all Videotron speeds except the 200 meg tier, so there is no pressing need for speed upgrades.

In terms of pricing, the CRTC granted Videotron permission to charge something like $2,200 per 100 megabit for the connection between TekSavvy and Videotron. As a result, a TekSavvy customer who maxes out his 120 meg cable line for 2 hours a day will cost TekSavvy more than $2,600 per month.

So no, TekSavvy's rates aren't going down until the CRTC fixes their broken pricing scheme.
Apache77

Apache77

Yeah, this kinda sucks. I feel like I've gone over to the dark side.

I'm jumping ship for Videotron's unlimited 60 (unlimited 120 isn't available in my area yet), but I feel like such a bastard because TekSavvy's been awesome to me for the past two years, and I haven't had a single complaint about their service or billing.

It's just too hard to resist more speed for less money, even if my past experiences with Videotron have convinced me that they're pure concentrated evil.

I'll come back to TekSavvy (and the light side) in a heartbeat if/when there's a more level playing field and they can offer me the same speeds/prices as Videotron.

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

Jay_P

said by Apache77:

Yeah, this kinda sucks. I feel like I've gone over to the dark side.

I'm jumping ship for Videotron's unlimited 60 (unlimited 120 isn't available in my area yet), but I feel like such a bastard because TekSavvy's been awesome to me for the past two years, and I haven't had a single complaint about their service or billing.

It's just too hard to resist more speed for less money, even if my past experiences with Videotron have convinced me that they're pure concentrated evil.

I'll come back to TekSavvy (and the light side) in a heartbeat if/when there's a more level playing field and they can offer me the same speeds/prices as Videotron.

If you want to stay on the light side you could also consider DSL 50/10 if you qualify for that speed. Pricing is in line with Videotron and you won't have to fight each year to keep your rates down.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Apache77

MVM

to Apache77
I would definitely be on 50/10 VDSL2 if it were an option in my new place. I had it in the old place and it was great, but when I moved, the fastest DSL speed was 5 meg.
Apache77

Apache77

I did seriously consider TekSavvy's unlimited DSL 50 about a month ago.

Long story short: Still slower and more expensive than Videotron's 60, with modem/installation/activation/dry loop fees.

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

Jay_P

said by Apache77:

I did seriously consider TekSavvy's unlimited DSL 50 about a month ago.

Long story short: Still slower and more expensive than Videotron's 60, with modem/installation/activation/dry loop fees.

True if you have TV with Videotron otherwise it's higher at $98.95. You could also take the cheaper 300 GB package + ZTC.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Apache77

MVM

to Apache77
With unlimited upload and unlimited off-peak, you can stretch that 300GB pretty far. I've done 1500GB or more in a month, without ever going over the 300GB cap.