join:2014-11-04
Georgetown, TX

deveticus

[Connectivity] Massive Random Packet Loss, Good Signal Strength [78626]

console_conn···tion.log
18,157 bytes
Trace route and ping log.

Click for full size
Plot of my ping to 8.8.8.8 (google public DNS).
Click for full size
Modem.
Ever since 10/26/2014 I've been experiencing prolonged periods of packet loss. I've had 3 technicians out to my home, replaced the cable modem, and all of them say that they can't find anything wrong on my end.

In the logs you'll see my first attempt with my router connected, but after that I plugged directly into the modem.

Seems to occur more during the day, and not so much during the early morning and late evening near midnight. No idea what could be causing it.

Thanks in advance!

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Showing the whole ping plotter screenshot would be helpful so we can see where the packet loss starts and if it is real or just reported.

Edit, also shoot sdl3tech a pm. Looking at your ping log there you're showing latency at the first hop. That can happen easily if you're saturating your upstream bandwidth. He can check the actually bandwidth usage of your modem and node.
deveticus
join:2014-11-04
Georgetown, TX

deveticus

Hey thanks for the tip.

It hadn't occurred to me to look at data I was sending up. My CentOS box was blasting my local network with tons of connections and data to seemingly random addresses.

What worries me is that it looks like it has either been rooted or joined some bot net. I've blocked off all of the IPs and ports that it was sending to. A virus scan returns nothing, but I can't think of any other reason a computer would behave like that.

Anyway, time to reformat this box and flush all my passwords.

Thanks again for the help.
lcornejo
join:2014-03-20

lcornejo

Key based log ins baby! get rid of those passwords. Also did you install any software recently? Maybe a misconfigured service.