spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Rewstama
join:2006-11-20
canada

Rewstama

[DSL] SmartRG WiFi throttling

Need some help throttling the wifi on this modem.
The others in my house are killing my connection and I cant even open a simple web page from my wired connection.

On the Advanced WiFi setup page, which setting do i use to scale this back?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

If the other people in the house are using your bandwidth and you don't want them to, can you not simply change the password? Even if you could reduce the wifi broadcast strength, that's not going to do anything to reduce their bandwidth usage, just the wifi range.

heyyahblah
join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah to Rewstama

to Rewstama
I think he wants something like QoS setup, like what I want to do when I get my SmartRG.

I just upgraded my service to 50/10 from 15/1 and waiting for my SmartRG to arrive in the mail.

I have a WRT54GL that's at the end as well and I want to replace it with a new wireless ac router and use the SmartRG in bridge, just trying to figure out what kind of router to get because I want to make 2 SSID's if thats possible.

One called 'home' (that only I would know the password) and the other one called 'guest' and control the QoS on the guest SSID to limit access to my speed. ie. Say no matter how many devices connect to 'guest' I want to limit guest to say 15/3 to as many connections they want they can time each other out while my remaining home network will have 35/7 no matter what time of day i want to access my connection say my guest network gets saturated with laptops, tablets and other devices. This is what I'm planning to do. May sound greedy but I'm paying for the connection and like the user mentioned above, I'm not planning to 'share' 50/10 with the house hold if someone decides to download linux distros and popcorntime at the same time so I get left in the dark with a snail connection.

I am trying to figure out a plan like this for myself.

Rewstama
join:2006-11-20
canada

Rewstama

That's exactly what I'm trying to do; limit the maximum throughput on the WiFi.

There's got to be an easier way than bridging the modem or enabling QoS.

BTW, you'll love the SmartRG.. it's 100 times more stable than the Sagemcom.

heyyahblah
join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

heyyahblah

The only thing I can think of is turning the SmartRG into bridge mode when I get it and find a router that will allow dual SSID's ... like home/guest like I mentioned that will allow QoS services on the 2nd SSID. I am thinking this might be the only option. I mean this has to be a way to do this.

Either that or their has to be a way to dedicate IP addresses via the router ... ie

192.168.0.1, 0.2, 0.3

and get all the devices to connect and say lock IP's to a specific machine (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc) then QoS all the IP's to a limited connection (ie, all IPs other then 0.1 get 15/3 and yours gets max throughput.

There has to be a router out there with settings like that.

I really want the WRT 1900 AC
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario

bjlockie

It looks like the SmartRG has sids.