spc
Search similar:

uniqs
trinket
join:2014-06-06
Palo Alto, CA

trinket

[Connectivity] T3 timeouts Zoom 5341J

Wondering if anyone could assist me? Recently my connection has been dropping quite frequently. Not sure if this helps, though here is some diagnostic info:

Hardware Version A0
Software Version 5.5.8.6J

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

[Connectivity] Re: T3 timeouts Zoom 5341J

Well, the signal levels and SNRs that you modem display all look OK, but the error messages/T3 timeouts in the Event Log indicate an upstream issue of some kind:

From: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What do messages about timeouts mean?
quote:
T3 ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )

Explanation: The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also lower the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem's power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request.
So the problem could be due to a low upstream SNR (uSNR), or an issue with the node or with that modem.

Try IMing netcool See Profile and see if he will take a look at this to figure out what may be causing them.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to trinket

to trinket

Re: [Connectivity] T3 timeouts Zoom 5341J

It's also possible that Comcast was doing some maintenance at ~1:30 to ~1:45 AM. They tend to do stuff like this in the small hours when most people are sleeping. If you're a night owl that can be a problem. Do you see this at other times of day or on other days in the early AM?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to trinket

Premium Member

to trinket
FWIW, the upstream power on channel# 4 is on the high side and may be *intermittently fluctuating* even higher out of spec.
trinket
join:2014-06-06
Palo Alto, CA

trinket to Streetlight

to Streetlight
Yeah, its been happening during the day too :/
trinket

trinket to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: [Connectivity] Re: T3 timeouts Zoom 5341J

Thanks telcodad, I'm IM;ing him now. BTW here is a smokeping from last 24 hours. Also not 100%

»/r3/sm ··· lifornia
mattspe
join:2014-11-17

mattspe to trinket

to trinket

Re: [Connectivity] T3 timeouts Zoom 5341J

I'm having the same issue. I had a Motorola Surfboard SB6141, self-installed and was working fine with Blast Plus for almost 6-months. All the sudden the connection went out and would not come back. Comcast sent a tech out but I think he did not know what the issue was. He kept saying that my signal was fine, so it had to be my modem.
I gave the benefit of doubt and bought a new modem. Same exact issue. Finally after searching I found many people have had this issue too...it does seem to be tied to a bad upstream power level. I called Arris support and they confirmed that my upstream power (57db) was way too high and out of spec so this is likely causing the reboot. My logs look very similar to what is posted above.

My question is: How do I communicate this issue to Comcast and get the right people to work on it?
I've already gone over every inch of hard-wire connection in my new, replaced cables, splitters etc. It seems clear to me that there is a problem with the line to my house.
I have already spent a lot of time on the phone with Comcast and with the previous tech who seemed unfamiliar with how to fix the issue.

Any recommendations? TIA