Gone Fishing

Premium Member

[Tip] Bing as an IT Troubleshooting Tool

»blogs.msdn.com/b/william ··· ons.aspx
Snapped 2014-11-05 19:56:51
quote:
Using Bing for technical instant answers and automated solutions

William Keener
Engineering Program Manager responsible for Support Diagnostics and Automated Solutions

Bing has been providing factual instant answers (and translation instant answers) for some time now, but recently they added "technical" instant answers for questions about Microsoft products and technologies or technical support issues. My previous team built the content management system that our internal content delivery teams are now using to add technical instant answers to Bing. Here's an example technical instant answer for the "Cortana" search term

Read more @ »blogs.msdn.com/b/william ··· ons.aspx

Related:

• Bing as an IT Troubleshooting Tool
»windowsitpro.com/cloud/b ··· ing-tool

• Bing: "Windows update troubleshooter"
»www.bing.com/search?q=wi ··· a3b71a7f

• Bing: "Cortana"
»www.bing.com/search?q=Co ··· 55756e38
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

3 recommendations

lorennerol

Premium Member

If the "technical" answers are sourced from the morass of poorly written articles and moronically moderated "support" forums that MS runs, uh, no thanks. I can't remember the last time I actually found a solution in any of that mess.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

It's probably as good as using stackoverflow to solve your programming problems...

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

2 recommendations

urbanriot to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

If the "technical" answers are sourced from the morass of poorly written articles and moronically moderated "support" forums that MS runs, uh, no thanks. I can't remember the last time I actually found a solution in any of that mess.

Glad someone else has said this. You'd think that skilled Microsoft employees would be aiding TechNet forum posters but sadly they're only there to cut and paste steps that don't apply to the issue. In most instances the poster knows more than the Microsoft moderator.

Poster: "I have this complicated problem and here are the technical steps I've taken and of course I've tried to restart the server."

Microsoft: "Step 1, Press the start button.
Step 2, Press Shut down.
Step 3, Select Restart.
Please reply to this thread if this doesn't fix your problem."

Poster: " ... "

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Gone Fishing

MVM

to Gone Fishing
Google has been doing this for years. I know many people, myself included, that search through Google using error messages and such. Guess what? I sometimes find the answer I am looking for. Bing is just the first search engine touting how good the results will be, which in my experience, is not accurate.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
LOL yes that is about the in depth knowledge they offer.

Many of them just love to shotgun post KB articles which are of no use as well.

I am not sure they are even human, I think its some bot that just picks out words and then just posts canned solution based on the hit score from a database file.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing
If you think the "support" forums are crazy-making, go open a PSS case for $400. You'll find that what used to be a group of highly skilled and knowledgeable engineers has been replaced by the wizards who aren't quite bright enough to post irrelevant answers in the support forums.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing
This is like trying to use yahoo to find out if the pope is gay. you'll never get the correct results.