MVM
join:2001-05-09
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

Building from barebones--do I have everything?

Click for full size
Hi all,

I decided I wanted to use a machine with dual NICs as a firewall/router for my home and as I was looking for hardware with which to to do this I decided that building from barebones would make sense. I'm cool with installing an OS onto an existing system and configuring all the software, and I'm pretty comfortable troubleshooting and swapping components in an existing system. I have not, however, previously assembled a machine from a starting point such as this and could use some advising.

I've assembled the pictured shopping cart on NewEgg and am hoping you can let me know if all of that seems to be compatible, and if there's anything else at all I'd need to buy. As it stands I'm pretty pleased with the overall spec to cost and am hoping I have it all right.

Here are links to the specific items I am looking at:

1. Barebones System: Shuttle XH61V

2. CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 Ivy Bridge Dual-Core 2.6GHz LGA 1155

3. RAM: Kingston 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333

4. HDD: Patriot Blaze 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal SSD

5. Thanks for any advice you can offer!
    Jim
moxley
join:2003-09-15
21740-1906

moxley

Hey Jim,

I would personally go with the below computer, which is cheaper and comes fully ready to go with an OS. You can add a second USB NIC.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/del ··· p=1&lp=1
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
- PSU
- CPU Cooler
- TIM (thermal paste)
- Grounding strap

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

2 edits

mmainprize to JAAulde

to JAAulde
Whats your plan, as i think the best firewall setup is running on UNIX/LINX
What software are you planing on using may help determine what hardware you get.

»DIY firewall/router from old PC (with any *nix)
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to moxley

Premium Member

to moxley
While yes that is cheaper and could be a good alternative, your other reasons don't matter. A USB NIC will be horrible for virtually anything. That said, a PCIe NIC is certainly possible to add. And given he wants to use it for a firewall, the inclusion of Windows 8.1 is all but useless given I doubt he wants to use Windows for that.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
You're not missing anything. The PSU, cooler and other details should be covered in the first item, the Shuttle barebones kit. The only thing I'd make sure of is whether or not the kit uses SO-DIMM or standard. Other than that, it looks good. Have you picked an OS for the firewall yet? I'm personally fond of pfSense but there's many options.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2
said by bbear2:

- PSU
- CPU Cooler
- TIM (thermal paste)
- Grounding strap

The PSU comes with the system--it's external.

Dang...CPU cooler, eh? I'll have to look around.
JAAulde

JAAulde to mmainprize

MVM

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

What software are you planing on using may help determine what hardware you get.

Basic idea is Linux with iptables, isc dhcp, etc.
JAAulde

JAAulde to JoelC707

MVM

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

You're not missing anything. The PSU, cooler and other details should be covered in the first item, the Shuttle barebones kit. The only thing I'd make sure of is whether or not the kit uses SO-DIMM or standard. Other than that, it looks good. Have you picked an OS for the firewall yet? I'm personally fond of pfSense but there's many options.

Hmmm, it does come with the PSU, but I'll have to dig around to see if it comes with the CPU cooler. It was not something I had not considered, so bbear2 See Profile's mention of it was good. The specs on newegg said SO-DIMM for the RAM, so that's what I went with. The whole thing seems more like a laptop, really (I guess since it's small profile).

I sort of like the idea of something like pfSense or DD-WRT X86 or ZeroShell, but I alos like the idea of a basic Linux install running just the services I want configurable in the standard way.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to JAAulde

to JAAulde
said by JAAulde:

said by mmainprize:

Basic idea is Linux with iptables, isc dhcp, etc.

I did not see that listed as an OS for that Barebones package, but it may work just look into it first, before you but it.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD

JAAulde to moxley

MVM

to moxley
Thanks moxley See Profile. I had seen a few Dells and haven't dropped them from the possibility list. Hard to ignore that price!
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
Shuttles tend to use a custom built heatpipe setup specific to their cases but it's been many years since I've actually had my hands on one to know if they've changed that or not. FWIW, the CPU you picked should have a cooler with it and should be fairly low profile so even if it doesn't have their custom cooler, the stock Intel cooler should be sufficient.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

said by JoelC707:

Shuttles tend to use a custom built heatpipe setup specific to their cases but it's been many years since I've actually had my hands on one to know if they've changed that or not. FWIW, the CPU you picked should have a cooler with it and should be fairly low profile so even if it doesn't have their custom cooler, the stock Intel cooler should be sufficient.

I found the specs here: »www.shuttle.eu/fileadmin ··· 1V_e.pdf

It says it has a built in heat pipe cooling system. I don't personally know whether that covers my bases, but I am intuiting from your info that my shopping list is covered at this time.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yep, that's what I was referring to.

Though personally the Dell does look like a good option, especially if you can pick it up locally (it shows as in stock in my local Best buy).

The only other thing to add might be a USB stick to load the OS from but chances are you might have a spare around already (or maybe you've configured a PXE boot system and don't need it lol).
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
Seriously, don't forget the TIM. You'll burn up your CPU without it.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

said by bbear2:

Seriously, don't forget the TIM. You'll burn up your CPU without it.

Ok, got it, thank you!

Thanks to all who helped out!

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to JAAulde

Premium Member

to JAAulde
said by JAAulde:

said by bbear2:

- PSU
- CPU Cooler
- TIM (thermal paste)
- Grounding strap

CPU cooler will be inside the box with the processor and TIM will be on the cooler. No need to change that unless you are overclocking. For your use of this machine, the stock cooler and TIM will be just fine.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

said by Cthen:

said by JAAulde:

said by bbear2:

- PSU
- CPU Cooler
- TIM (thermal paste)
- Grounding strap

CPU cooler will be inside the box with the processor and TIM will be on the cooler. No need to change that unless you are overclocking. For your use of this machine, the stock cooler and TIM will be just fine.

Super, thank you!