Search similar:

uniqs
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

question about ordering self install...

I used to have an att phone line but haven't for about 4 years. I'm considering ordering bare dsl without a phone line. Uverse isn't available here.

My question is about the fact that the nid is in the basement. I assume that even with the self install a technician needs to have access to the nid? When you order dsl self install do they still set up a specific date/time for installation so that you can be available to allow the technician access to the basement?
Or would I have to pay the $175 fee for a full technician install under these circumstances?

My concern is that they would send a technician out at some random time and then he wouldn't be able to access the interface and it would lead to problems completing the install or require me to pay additional fees.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

My previous experiences with ordering DSL service without POTS voice service is that if their database indicates that there is an existing wire pair to your dmarc (NID), they won't even bother to schedule a tech to look at the NID or the pedestal for a DSL self install. The customer is given a date on which the circuit is expected to be active, and if it works, it works. If it doesn't work, then you would have to schedule a service call to fix the line problem (for which you may or may not be billed, depending on the reason for the failure). In my case (on two separate occasions), the problem was the physical wiring connection work in the CO had not been performed (even though it had been reported as being done), and I was not charged for the service calls.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to asdfdfdfdfdf

Anon

to asdfdfdfdfdf
For Uverse, a customer self install is tech only does outside work, verify signal at closest point available.
If your NID is in the basement, tech would verify at the terminal, and done.

Self installs do not have specific time frames, the job is listed as 8am to 8pm, anytime during that time frame a tech would do work at cross box, verify sync. If this is CO based, handled by different department, not sure of policy. But if desire a full tech install billable, and if have a failed installed possible billable if problem is not outside.

On jobs I dispatch on, repair or install, I always mount the NID outside, if brick home, drill into mortar.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

Thank you both for replying and reassuring me.