spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brokentwice
join:2002-07-05
Phoenix, AZ

brokentwice

AZ - Cox Ultimate tier, Getting new modem today

Just bought a new Router yesterday an Asus and its awesome.. speeds are "great".

My speed tests show about 105-110 Most of the time and usenet Shows about 13mb down..

Right now i have the black Motorola SB6120. I have checked my settings and it shows that There Is 4 channels Down and 4 channels up..

What I wanted to ask before spending more money that might not be needed... is I'm looking at going in the next hour to get the SB6141 which from reading My current modem is only capable of 150 while this one that I'm going to buy in an hour states : 8-channel downstream data speeds up to 343.1 Mbps

Would i see better speeds more So closer to what I see some people on here getting?

as I know that ultimate should be 150 about Right?

also would i be doing Wrong going with this one and not the SB6183 that is a little more?

I know the SB6183 does 16 channels .. but is that even needed right now? Cause I would like to save the Cash and go with the SB6141 as best buy has it on sale for 88.99 vs the SB6183 which is 129.99

Thank you in advance and hope everyone is doing well

godbless

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

I suggest save the cash and get the SB6141. I have seen some problems reported with the SB6183, most of it because Cox doesn't have 16 channels available everywhere, and even the places that do might not have them "enabled". The SB6141 is solid and tested. If you can't get 150Mbps direct to it then its likely you have other problems. IE the routing issues going on in AZ.
brokentwice
Phoenix, AZ

brokentwice

Darn lol just got back and bought the more expensive one. Lol.

No harm
If it works right?
Should future proof me?

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

As long as everything works then your golden. I would upgrade my SB6141 if I could but its not available around here. Looks like its available on Amazon though..maybe Santa?
brokentwice
Phoenix, AZ

brokentwice

WOW all i have to say this is such a difference !!

before I was luck to hit 120.. now I'm hitting constant speed tests of 180!!!along with the new asus router RT-N66R this is like finding broadband all over again LOL

thank you for the help

I checked and it seems that there is 12 channels bonded for download.. Although not the full 16.. thats still much better then the 4 I had before
brokentwice

brokentwice

Nothing like getting a new modem. It works for 5 mins then it's off line hah. Called cox and they said they are doing work in the area and will have it back up by 7pm lol guess not the day for a modem purchase haha
brokentwice

brokentwice

Can I ask what were the issues you saw reported with the 6183? Seems that each time I download a large file the modem resets and shows time not established in the log. On the phone with cox for over two hours now. Is this cause it only finds 12 download channels and not the full 16?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

not getting ToD in no way affects your service at all. thats just for timestamping the logs.
brokentwice
Phoenix, AZ

brokentwice

I was told they would have to look into the config file and firmware. I didn't want to be the beta tester so I took it back and got the 6140. On phone. Now with cox. Been using my iPhone 6 plus all day. Ugh lol
brokentwice

brokentwice

its a shame got it all working with the 6141 and I must say the speeds are not as insane as it was when the 6183 was working right... but still better then before..

i should be able to hit the 150 with a 8 down modem Right ?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Yes, 150 will be possible with the 6141. In fact you should be able to get the Powerboost of 188 if it is available.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to brokentwice

Premium Member

to brokentwice
You would not have been a beta test. The 6183 is listed as a compatible modem, so the config file and firmware were available, they just may have needed to load them on your 6183.
brokentwice
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

brokentwice

I really wish I could have kept the other modem. Seems like it was much faster.

This one isn't hitting nearly what that one was getting.

edit: Guess its just the Problems cox has been having the past few days.

Though not exactly as fast as the 6183 I would say this has improved tons and is right up there now . Currently pulling 180

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by brokentwice:

I really wish I could have kept the other modem. Seems like it was much faster.

Are you just judging by speedtest or actual throughput? Not sure if speedboost is still a thing since upgrade, but if so, that might explain why the illusion of speed is greater on higher channel modem.
brokentwice
Phoenix, AZ

brokentwice

Seems that it was a cox issue. Things are running amazing and just as good as the 6183. With no connection drop issues.