All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

phonefused
@99.243.95.x

phonefused

Anon

Looking for pots options or reliable voip.

Currently we have Rogers cable phone and have had several outages related to power where our batteries (UPS+ATA battery) have outlasted the batteries/power on Rogers end. Due to the environment we really need reliability plus fax so I'm not sure about voip since we would be in the same battery situation.

I've been looking and found:
Bell (of course)
primus
allstream
teksavvy(but it seems you can't order)

Is there anyone else that can provide pots services (at hopefully reasonable prices) or any other suggestions for some type of more reliable voip setup.

Thanks
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

AFAIK that's about all you're going to find for copperline POTS service.

As for VOIP options, I've had very good experiences with Fongo/FreePhoneLine, but it's only ever going to be as reliable as your Internet connection. Most VOIP provided will give a failover configuration that you can have ring a cell phone if the VOIP is disconnected for some reason. If cellular and satphone are not an option and you've found that the Internet is too unreliable, then I'm afraid you've already listed your options for copperline.

For Fax, have you considered a Fax-to-email gateway? There's several services out there that will do this quite cheaply, and it could save you needing to worry about fax service.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

1 edit

BACONATOR26 to phonefused

Premium Member

to phonefused
voip.ms, buy your own equipment and get a UPS battery backup. $1/month for a DID and less than a cent per minute for all LD Calls.

Fax is not reliable or guaranteed on a VoIP line.

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to phonefused

to phonefused
Been giving voipmuch a go for the past month or so. Very stable service right outta the box, $9.45 unlimited.

So far so good.
»www.voipmuch.ca/
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to phonefused

to phonefused
If managed cable VoIP isn't working for you then an unmanaged VoIP solution probably isn't going to work if you're concerned about it lasting through an extended power outage.

My recommendation would be VoIP and a cell phone that runs on the Bellus network for emergencies

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by yyzlhr:

If managed cable VoIP isn't working for you then an unmanaged VoIP solution probably isn't going to work if you're concerned about it lasting through an extended power outage.

My recommendation would be VoIP and a cell phone that runs on the Bellus network for emergencies

having your own VoIP ATA with a service like voip.ms combined with a smartphone that gets LTE where you can load any mobile app is probably a good system. simply use the mobile app has fallback if you've lost power for too long and your UPS goes down, voip.ms can be easily configured to ring your ATA device first then your mobile app.