joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

1 edit

joewho

Premium Member

[Plumbing] tub drain

Bottom of a tub drain leaking onto ceiling of tenant below. I've repaired the shower once and the ceiling below twice. Is this a one man job or do I need someone at the tub upstairs and someone down here to hold the pipe? I'm thinking of just disconnecting that short run and turning it from here, but the drain would probably just spin. Any tricks you could share? The reason I ask is because the metal piece that needs to come out is old and corroded. I'm worried that if I try to take it out the metal will just break. It's occupied and I can't leave the folks with no way to take a shower.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

There is s special wrench which fits inside the tub drain which is used to remove it. Normally the pipe will stay in place while the drain is turned but to be safe have someone hold the pipe.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

I always come here first, but do search the internet. There is a special tool that expands. It's expensive. Just saw a video that showed a nifty trick of using a claw hammer. Plus, these questions may help someone else.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· cO-0dx9w

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to joewho

Mod

to joewho
Proper tools are pretty cheap. You will probably need one to install the new drain.

»www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF ··· kq5qnl_e

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho

Joe-- need to know exactly where its leaking from to give you a good estimate of what it will take to repair it. If its leaking from the spot on your flashlight, you would have to cut out all the old galv, and drum trap, and repipe with new plastic, using a fernco coupling at the drain and vent connections.. If this doesnt make any sense, just call a plumber.

-j
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

4 edits

joewho

Premium Member

Got the proper tool. Found that someone caulked around the ring and just needs new putty. Plus cleaning the caulk out of it. All you see in the pic is good. I had to open the ceiling to find the leak. Did this before, about a foot over due to the shower leaking. Strangeness at home depot last night. It must have been beginners night. Not putting anyone down, but it was comedic.
Edit: tp, I have plumber at the ready in case it was all that. You can see the new pvc at the tub. Was standing on a ladder in at bathtub holding flashlight and phone, so the light wasn't in the exact position.
Update: There's a rubber seal, so rather than take it off, I tried to tighten it. lol, the cross broke off and the escutcheon came off, leaving the rest. I really don't want to buy the extraction tool because I'll probably not use it enough to pay for itself. On top of that, home depot doesn't even have a simple, plain drain. Like money is no object? It is. In a rental you have to get things done as reasonably as possible. I guess this one is going to cost someone, and it ain't gonna be me. .