join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to NewnImproved

MVM

to NewnImproved

Re: UPDATE!!!COUPON PRINTER PROGRAM MUCH WORSE THAN YOU THINK!!

said by NewnImproved:

On the other hand, Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. Yes Fox News (who, as part of an 800mil dollar settlement has to distribute valassis mailers for 10yrs since'09) had been already been convicted of hacking.

I can't find anything about Murdoch being convicted of anything. One of his employees was convicted of phone hacking. He answered a summons to the UK Parliament; but where was he on trial for "hacking"?

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to NewnImproved

Premium Member

to NewnImproved
said by NewnImproved:

They got some lawyers that penned all of it. I too have some lawyers.

Lawyers need to be paid money. How much are you prepared to dish out? How much of your time are you willing to devote this this? Both normal business hours and other time, not just time posting rants on the 'net. And if the lawyer doesn't think you stand a chance of winning they ain't going to pursue it.
It's a nice rant tho.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

3 recommendations

Blackbird to NewnImproved

Premium Member

to NewnImproved
There are so many, many ways your name could have been linked to your gf or her address that it becomes difficult to imagine. Anything you may ever have registered, ordered, or been legally notified at that address becomes fodder for the data miners... Anything you have that involves geo-location (computer software, cell phone, etc) can identify your location with varying degrees of accuracy... Anything she may have ever posted on a social website naming you, or that her friends may have posted linking the two of you, or anything similarly eMailed by her that named you... Anything that coincides between your computer and that of your gf can link you to her address, especially if you share the same modem/ISP.

The ability of software to correlate seemingly trivial details out of various databases would astonish the average person... and that IS what 'satellite' programs like "coupon printer" are designed to support.
NewnImproved
join:2014-11-07

NewnImproved to NormanS

to NormanS
Not the guy himself and I'm not referring to the phone hacking thing either.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

I still can't find anything about a conviction. As of June, 2014, an ongoing Federal investigation; but aside from the UK trial for phone hacking, nada. Zip. Nothing.

Searched on, "Rupert Murdoch convicted of hacking", "News Corp. convicted of hacking", and "Fox News convicted of hacking". Only comes up with the UK trial of a senior editor, and the US investigation. Nothing else.

So where did you get your information, and how does it tie into a coupon program?
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to NewnImproved

Premium Member

to NewnImproved
it could have been that, when your girlfriend registered with "redplum", they asked if she knew anyone who might be interested in redplum-coupons and she gave your name.. or, it could be that redplum got your address from the US postal service.. one of those two..

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy to NewnImproved

Premium Member

to NewnImproved
said by NewnImproved:

Not the guy himself ...

But you specifically mentioned the guy himself (Rupert Murdoch).
Hyperbole diminishes credibility in a technical forum.
NewnImproved

NewnImproved to redwolfe_98

to redwolfe_98
I've lived with her for 1 year.Known each other 18yrs. She knows the reasons why I don't enter my name into or onto any form and she wouldn't either. I can honestly say the only place my name had appeared anywhere was logging into my email with her computer right around the same time these mailers started coming.
NewnImproved

NewnImproved to NormanS

to NormanS
I don't know how many rounds of law suits there have been but I know of three settlements. The second is because of News Corps unwillingness to comply to the mandates of the first. There were allegations of BOTH parties hacking each others databases for passwords, customer lists etc.. This was in direct violation not only with the law but with the mandates set by the court showing that not only News Corp was violating the non-compete mandate and trying to find their way around it, they were breaking the law. I didn't see any evidentiary findings as this was only transcripts but the fact that a lawyer of that caliber would even introduce this as possible evidence means there was something behind it. Valassis claimed "they were up to their old tricks" My lawyer faxed me these.
NewnImproved

NewnImproved to Snowy

to Snowy
My mistake. I implied involvement and direct responsibility due to his CEO status. Who would have thought that these coupons had these kinds of implications behind them. And by these kinds I don't mean coupons in general, I mean the ones I suspected as having deceitful information gathering techniques specifically.
NewnImproved

NewnImproved to vaxvms

to vaxvms
I have lawyers and time and gov. officials and people that work in the gov. that work on their computers as friends. If they are doing nothing wrong they have nothing to worry about. If they are..well you'll be reading about this or hearing about it on the news. Maybe not FOX but msnbc or or cnn or any of those other news companies that like handing out lies daily. Don't get me wrong I'm a conservative and I prefer FOX news ANY day over the other ones because they say what the others wont, but at the end of the day, they are a company trying to make money and if the money they are making is by illegally obtained information well, enough said.
But I digress, It's probably not News Corp. that is behind this. The methodology is there but the practice is Valassis. Although News Corp is distributing Valassis's coupons maybe ONE of them is engaging in this behavior hoping the other will get blamed? I mean there is still lawsuits pending. They've been at war for the better part of a decade. I can't even email this .exe. to my friend. pissing me off at the moment.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS to NewnImproved

MVM

to NewnImproved
Show me. I can't afford a Lexus-Nexus search, and ordinary Internet search is drawing a blank.
NewnImproved

NewnImproved

Old fax machine using actual fax paper. Dont ask why I still use it. I have to rescan all this and email it which is no problem but its 3:09 am and my gf is sick but worst of all giving me the stink eye. I'll def do it in the morning.
NewnImproved

NewnImproved

in the transcripts its the actual transcribed shorthand but the content below is based on it..

two subsidiaries, News America Marketing ("NAM") and NDS Group plc ("NDS"), were accused by multiple parties of stealing computer technology, hacking into business plans and computers and violating the law through a wide range of anti-competitive behavior. NAM attempted to drive its competition out of business, by among other things, illegally hacking a competitor's password-protected website on eleven separate occasions over a several month period. The Board did not remain oblivious to this misconduct, which required NAM to pay out more than $650 million in settlements to three competitors. Another subsidiary, NDS, was accused of illegally extracting software code from competitors' smart cards and posting the information on the Internet. This allowed hackers to create counterfeit cards that could be used to illegally intercept satellite television protected by competitors' smart cards. Several News Corp Board members sat on the Board of NDS and NAM, so their knowledge of this malfeasance is clear. 4. As if these incidents were not enough to require the News Corp Board to
NewnImproved

NewnImproved to NormanS

to NormanS
NAM is News corps..read this..
NAM breached FGI's secure computer system." FGI had evidence that someone working at NAM hacked into a password-protected website containing confidential information intended only for FGI

and its customers. According to trial testimony, the password-protected site contained FGI's proprietary advertisement inventory. In addition to past advertisements, there were advertisements contemplated for future use as well. A subsequent investigation by FGI uncovered evidence that someone at NAM had illegally accessed the site. FGI sent a letter to David DeVoe, Jr., CFO of News Corp, but FGI did not get a response. 44. FGI also reported the incident to the FBI, prompting investigations by the

FBI, the Secret Service, and the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice. Recently, New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg requested the Attorney General and the Director of the FBI to look into these allegations anew as part of the FBI's investigation into allegations of phone-hacking of September 11 victims by News Corp employees. 45. In 2006, Valassis Communications, another NAM competitor, filed a

lawsuit in federal court in Michigan against NAM alleging conduct substantially similar to that alleged by FGI. Valassis alleged that NAM, which is involved in a number of related marketing businesses, threatened its customers that if they contracted with Valassis for particular types of advertisement, NAM would impose severe economic penalties with respect to the other marketing services that NAM provides by significantly raising the price of its other services. According to Valassis' complaint, this economic penalty was often more than $1 million, and in some cases, as high as $5 million. 46. NAM's conduct was no aberration, but rather came at Murdoch's

directions. At the trial, Carlucci testified that he told NAM employees: "...Last night Mr. Murdoch was saying now you have to really go after [Valassis]." [Emphasis added.] Debra Lucidi, a former director of business development for Sara Lee, also testified that

NAM "threatened to charge a higher in-store price, if the company gave its FSI [freestanding insert, i.e. couponing] business to Valassis." 47. Following a trial in a case brought in Michigan state court, a jury awarded

Valassis $300 million in damages. Thereafter, NAM settled with Valassis for $500 million and agreed to a ten-year business arrangement with Valassis. 48. Similarly, Insignia Systems filed a lawsuit against NAM alleging the same

type of behavior. Insignia alleged that due to NAM's campaign of improper and illegal tactics against it, Insignia's stock price was driven down from $11 in 2002 to less than 30 cents in 2005. NAM used the same types of tactics against Insignia that it had used in its attempts to drive FGI and Valassis out of business, including falsely telling customers that Insignia was unable to perform its contracts; removing Insignia's advertisements from retailers; and offering uneconomically large payments to retailers to exclude competitors. 49. Shortly after opening statements were delivered, NAM, rather than face

another jury, agreed to pay Insignia $125 million to settle the case. 2. 50. Hacking and Illegal Conduct
NewnImproved

2 edits

NewnImproved

My lawyer believes there is some merit to what I'm saying.The phone hacking scandal dominated the news but the rest seems suppressed for some reason. I mean it was a settlement. I was wrong, they weren't convicted. A settlement means POOF there goes the evidence right? There's no telling what exactly is going on here but something is going on. I see these people are not above this type of behavior but now, to catch them in the act. It doesn't even seem like we're talking about coupons anymore does it? well tomorrow, to focus on the program itself and it's behaviors. I can't send it to my comp sec friend cause the program wont email. It's not too big but email says its potentially dangerous. I'm sure I can direct him to the site to dl it directly.Oh well im out, thanks
NewnImproved

NewnImproved to Blackbird

to Blackbird
You are more or less on the right track. Just now I tried to send the .exe RARd via email to my friend and Yahoo and gmail produced a 552-5.7.0 failure notice saying its potentially harmful. I know that could be a number of things but I always have HTTPS tried multiple browsers and the email security temporarily off.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to NewnImproved

to NewnImproved
I professionally work in the security field and my wife uses a coupon printer on her Macbook. She goes to 3-4 couponing sites weekly and saves us hundreds of dollars casually couponing (not the insane crap you see on tv).

We don't have any of the issues you describe.

The email server is blocking the .exe file and they are smart enough to look inside compression. It is very typical for email servers to block .exe's due to the high likelihood of them being malicious so it's probably not just the file you're sending. Changing settings on the end point or using SSL to connect won't modify the server's behavior.

I might suggest paragraphs in your posts.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to NewnImproved

Premium Member

to NewnImproved
said by NewnImproved:

... I can honestly say the only place my name had appeared anywhere was logging into my email with her computer right around the same time these mailers started coming.

If the coupon printer software was installed at the time you used her computer to log in to your eMail account (assuming you used her computer's browser), right there you have a linkage that data mining could use. The first level of things the coupon printer software does is to track every thing done in the browser(s)... that's how they create the packet of user information they sell to clients for ad-targeting.

If the coupon printer software has downloaded even more malicious software (some do), then the compromise of the computer and its data might go even deeper. As to what information the software might have accessed regarding you while you were checking your eMail in the browser is open to speculation, depending largely on the detailed capabilities of the data-mining software installed on your gf's computer as well as any information regarding you and your eMail account "out there" in other databases independently available to the data miners.
NewnImproved

NewnImproved to Uncle Paul

to Uncle Paul
Duly noted sir. I have someone on .exe as we speak and it's already not looking too good. It is a Compaq and probably alot more vulnerable than a mac. My friend said something about SMTP to her Microsoft Exchange. It's not common or even something he's come across but very real.
NewnImproved

NewnImproved to Blackbird

to Blackbird
Excellent. You are right on the money my friend. What I've been seeing with the mailers I've been receiving is the end point. I was trying to trace back how this company got my name and then the coupon printer was from the same company.

I have someone on .exe as we speak and it's already not looking too good. It is a Compaq and probably alot more vulnerable than a mac. My friend said something about SMTP to her Microsoft Exchange. It's not common or even something he's come across but very real.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to NewnImproved

Premium Member

to NewnImproved
You've said " I have someone on .exe as we speak"
Please help me (and others) understand. Just what does the "on .exe" mean?
NewnImproved

NewnImproved

He is ON it..like he's doing it now. He has the PC on his network. Downloaded the three alternate versions (they have different names) on a separate linux box and is putting it them all through their paces.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS to NewnImproved

MVM

to NewnImproved
OIC! I was using the wrong keyword in my search! I went by your claim of "hacking convictions". But this wasn't a criminal hacking case, it was a civil anti-trust case. It would really help if you drop the hyperbole, and just stick to the facts.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to NewnImproved

Premium Member

to NewnImproved
My mother has all of these coupon things on her computer, other than the occasional toolbar taking over her browser she hasnt complained about any other issues.

I questioned her about mail and she doesnt get anything unwanted. (it surprises me too she is on a lot of crap lists).

I like others think your issue may lie elsewhere, or your SO is using your info to sign up for free raffles and coupons as well as hers, ( I had to tell my mother to stop doing this for me).
NewnImproved

NewnImproved

Although that is common. Not a possibility in this case. I agreed with her downloading that even though I assessed the threat. My fault but I as well as my SO are very security minded due to many factors. This was a slip and won't happen again.

I'm currently gathering the scope and collecting the data with help. The vulnerability Analysis was done and a Correlation is underway.
NewnImproved

1 edit

NewnImproved to Uncle Paul

to Uncle Paul
It's nothing like that stuff on tv. This is how it went.
Thus far my girlfriend has printed like 10 coupons.
3 out of the ten were medications for me.
3 were medications we looked up to verify contraindications.
0 out of the three coupons were used.
3 Mailers show up addressed to me for the same medications.
0 coupons were printed for a local dentist. We did however look up a local dentist and planned to call to make an appointment.
1 mailer shows up for a local dentist 11 days later.
All mailers bear the company name that created the .exe
O times was my name entered into any fields on that site.
4 out of 4 mailers were directly mailed in my name to an address where I don't exist.