TFArchive
Premium Member
join:2003-02-03
Gloucester, ON

TFArchive

Premium Member

[Internet] Backblaze users

Hey Guys,

As a former user of Bitcasa who got kicked for using their service as they built it I've been forced to go to another cloud vendor for my offsite backups. I have chosen Backblaze because I like the way they operate by building their own equipment and passing the savings on to the customer.

But my issues is I have about 17TB to upload again and without the pattern matching of bitcasa I will be uploading all of it now.

With my 25/10 Teksavvy DSL I can upload at about 750KB/s 24/7 so that is about 60GB a day.

Is anyone on Rogers 150/15 or 250/20 able to get higher than this during their uploads?

I know the limitation is their location in California but I'm hoping Rogers might have better routes that could speed up my backups.

I also have Crashplan and their speeds are horrible as well.

BTW, my local backups are on several 2TB portable drives that I keep in a camera case so I still have a backup but I like the extra security of a cloud backup.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm willing to try just about anything.

Thanks

file
join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

file

While I'm not a Rogers customer I can say that I've had good success with »www.sosonlinebackup.com/ for my backups. I also like that they archive, so even if you delete your stuff locally it's still available from them no matter what unless you explicitly delete.

For speeds I'm on Bell Aliant FibreOP here in Atlantic Canada. I started out with 30Mbps upload and managed to saturate that completely to them. I upgraded to the highest tier and had it peaking at around 60-80Mbps.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to TFArchive

Premium Member

to TFArchive
If you have 17 Terabytes of critical storage, you should probably look at purchasing something better for off-site storage.
TFArchive
Premium Member
Gloucester, ON

TFArchive

Premium Member

In terms of critical data I only have around 1 TB, the rest is downloaded TV shows/movies etc, that I could get again if I really needed to but it would be a huge pain as it may no longer be readily available.

Thanks for the suggestion of SOS Backup, I will look into them further.

Thanks
king_2015
join:2010-09-15
King City, ON

king_2015 to TFArchive

to TFArchive
In all honesty what is the purpose? Are you running a business or is it for personal self? A 17 TB of space is alot, the new asus router line up allows you to do the same as these other cloud sites. If I was in this situation for personal interests not business i will do it on my router running as a cloud that could be accessed anywhere on the internet.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

" In terms of critical data I only have around 1 TB, the rest is downloaded TV shows/movies etc, that I could get again if I really needed to but it would be a huge pain as it may no longer be readily available. "

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Am I reading this correctly, OP wants to backup 17tb mostly pirated content to backblaze, while killing his Internet connection for months?

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

Its HIS call, HIS connection, not sure ... why is that a big deal?

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

If the OP really has 17tb, this is not feasible as a backup plan.
He really needs a better plan to keep his data.
As for the 1tb of data the op mentioned, that fits the criteria of a backblaze backup, as for the other 16, it doesn't. Even considering moving that much data on a residential connection is silly. And I'd also guess the op has no clue as to the backblaze restore process.
TFArchive
Premium Member
Gloucester, ON

TFArchive

Premium Member

Thanks for the advice guys. From talking to the SOSOnlineBackups guys and trying their trial they look like a good fit for my needs.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

To get back to the original question - I am backing up about 3.5TB with Backblaze and I have the Rogers 250/20 service. But even with the speed turned all they way up the best I ever get to upload is about 35 GB/day. I can't tell if they are throttling or if that is the maximum upload speed that I can get to Cali from Toronto.

I have 1TB/month on my plan and I start throttling back about halfway thought the month and manage it to not get overage charges. I generally end up using about 970MB/month. If Backblaze actually did use anywhere near my full upload bandwidth I would pay up for unlimited for a few months but I don't think it is work it since it will only help a little bit.

One thing I have learned is that if you rename a file then Backblaze isn't smart enough to know that it is the same file. I cleaned up the file names on a bunch of my movie files so that they would import properly into Plex and this will extend my backup time by a few weeks.