uniqs

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Bar & Chain Oil

Is there a general range for bar oil viscosity? I would assume there is a summer and a winter blend? To be clear, I'm asking what real bar oil viscosity is, not just what people use as an alternative (motor oil, tranny fluid, etc). Thanks.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor

There is a summer and winter blend. Just not sure what the viscosity difference is. Some people just cut the summer blend with kerosene to thin it...

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Ask the manufacturer.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I buy mine at Tractor Supply. It's 30W. They also had stuff on the next shelf labeled "winter weight" but it didn't say the viscosity. The shelf was completely full too, I guess because this is Florida.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Lurch77

MVM

to Lurch77
Huh, never thought about that before. I use the same stuff year round but then I'm pretty much a fair weather woodsman and don't cut when it is extremely cold.

I wonder how much it matters since the engine should add some heat to the reservoir.

/tom

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Lurch77

Mod

to Lurch77
I never thought about this before but not sure it really applies to Texas. Anyway, I looked for info on Echo saws as I have both a chain saw and power pruner made by them. Found this in an Echo Owners manual

"CHAIN LUBRICANT
Proper lubrication of the chain while in operation reduces friction
between the chain and the guide bar to a minimum and assures
a longer service life.
• use bar and chain oil of high quality for this purpose.
• Do not use used or reclaimed oil to avoid various oiler
problems.
• Use ECHO bar and chain oil.
• When ECHO bar and chain oil is not available:
Use motor oil, etc.
• Use bar and chain oil of the following grades:
SAE NO. 30 ..... in summer
SAE NO. 10 ..... in winter or when cutting resinous trees.

• When refueling, also refill chain oil."

»www.echo-usa.com/getatta ··· 3db2b5ab

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
My concern is if it's too thick, will it kill the pump? I was given a gallon jug of #150 circulating oil. A couple people told me it would be great for bar oil. But it just seems like it would be too thick, with the pour point being 25F. Looks like it is a 40 grade.
»www.zoro.com/i/G0449434/ ··· Xt8P8HAQ

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

tschmidt

MVM

said by Lurch77:

I was given a gallon jug of #150 circulating oil.

The other critical attribute of bar oil is that it is sticky so it does not get flung off the chain.

I have a Jonsered CD2153. Bar oil recommendation is pretty vague. Says as robbin See Profile posted about not using used oil. There is a note that at temperature below 0C some oils get too thick and can damage the pump. No recommendation for specific grades just wimps out and says consult your service agent.

I mostly use Echo bar oil, since that is my dealer sells. I'll have to look at the fine print as to viscosity tomorrow when it is ligjht.

/tom

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Lurch77

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

Looks like it is a 40 grade.

Just thin it with some light oil or kerosene to SAE 30 or 20 weight, depending on the temperature.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to Lurch77

to Lurch77
As tschmidt mentioned, sticky is a very important quality of bar oil.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl

It's also the worst attribute of bar oil as it gums everything up with an oil/sawdust goop. The pro loggers around me just use motor oil and quite often its used oil. They thin it with kerosene when it's really cold out.

Too thick of an oil can ruin the oil pump, particularly on a homeowner grade saw that may use plastic parts.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

In my quick research of this subject I found a forestry forum where some professionals said in very cold weather they use diesel fuel.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl

I'll bet the #1 reason for using diesel is that they have it on hand for the heavy equipment.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Sounds smelly, much worse than the normal 2 cycle mix exhaust.