uniqs

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

[Business] Looking to downgrade internet

So I am trying to cut some monthly costs and just talked to a Comcast rep. Even though I have verified here with multiple sources, before I pulled the trigger, I wanted to verify with the rep that 5 dhcp addresses are possible once I remove my static ip block. His response was that you only get one.

I know NetFixer See Profile has confirmed the 5 available dhcp addresses in the past, but am looking for some additional reassurance before I do this. I will be dropping my static ip block and purchasing my own modem.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

So I am trying to cut some monthly costs and just talked to a Comcast rep. Even though I have verified here with multiple sources, before I pulled the trigger, I wanted to verify with the rep that 5 dhcp addresses are possible once I remove my static ip block. His response was that you only get one.

I know NetFixer See Profile has confirmed the 5 available dhcp addresses in the past, but am looking for some additional reassurance before I do this. I will be dropping my static ip block and purchasing my own modem.

Here is a link to a recent post by NetDog See Profile regarding that subject: »Re: [IPv6] Customer Owned Devices with Business Services

TL;DR -- Five dynamic IPv4 addresses, and more dynamic IPv6 addresses than anyone could possibly use.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to ropeguru

to ropeguru
I've taken advantage of more then 1 dynamic IP before and I don't have anything more then business starter and my own modem.
keason
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI

keason

Premium Member

What cable modem supports more than one dynamic address?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by keason:

most any modern one. any of the ones listed for business class at »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net, and even then some (i used a Zoom 5341J with multiple dynamic IPs for a while)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to keason

Premium Member

to keason
said by keason:

Any standard cable modem (or a bridged gateway) for which the customer is paying for a "c02" (two IP addresses), or a "c05" (five IP addresses) config file.

I have personally had no problems with Comcast's BCI config file allowing me to get up to five simultaneous dynamic IP addresses on a bridged SMCD3G-CCR, an SB6121, or a DOCSIS2 DCM-202.

Here is a log excerpt from my current SB6121 that shows the BCI "c05" config file that is being used:

Here is a current "Addresses" display from the SB6121 that I am currently using with three routers behind it:

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
I was looking for that when I was on the phone with the rep. Thanks for find it for me.