Waltjb
Premium Member
join:2014-10-10
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

Waltjb

Premium Member

[Internet] Question about 2nd 5G wireless from MOCA AP in Echo

I understand that the MOCA AP generates a 2nd 5G wireless (network?)

On the Arris router, I see NAME (2.4 G) and NAME5G (5 G). The AP creates NAME-5G.

When my iPhone is connected to NAME5G, it shows on the router LAN Client List and on the 5G Client list. However, when it is connected to the NAME-5G, it no longer shows on the router's LAN nor 5G client lists. I am still connected, however, and can access the shares on the LAN. I use the NAME-5G most of the time because the AP is close to where I am, and the speed is about twice that of what I get if I connect to NAME5G.

Is this the normal expectation because the router has only the one 5G SSID?
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel

said by Waltjb:

Is this the normal expectation because the router has only the one 5G SSID?

No, that's been configured wrong. BHN intends to set up the router and AP so that they have the same SSID and expects devices to roll over to each channel seamlessly.

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Thank you. I guess that's something else for the list.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Waltjb

Premium Member

to Waltjb
That's only partly correct Aprel... The SSID issue is an easy fix which I will send to him. The other issue it would appear AP isloation has been enabled on the AP otherwise he would be able to connect to the other devices on the network.

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Thanks for the explanation, BHNtechXpert. I can log on to the router OK, but have no idea about how to access the AP or even what the AP UI looks like. I figure that will be fixed the next time a tech is here.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Waltjb

Premium Member

to Waltjb
To properly sync up the AP with the Echo modem....

Simple....

The AP is automatically configured with the Echo modem home network parameters when the WPS push-button function is used to pair the two devices. To configure with WPS, complete the following steps.

1. At the AP, press and hold the WPS button for a minimum of ten (10) seconds
2. Release the AP WPS button
3. Within two (2) minutes press the WPS button on the MODEM.
4. At the AP, wait until the red LED ring around the WPS button stops blinking; this indicates that the AP has joined the AWG’s network with identical wireless settings

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Done! I now see the iPhone when connected to NAME-5G on both LAN and 5G client lists. Thank you very much. It was simple, and seeing an 81 yr old man run from the living room to the back bedroom should have been filmed!
Waltjb

Waltjb to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I rejoiced too soon. I just logged on to the router again, and the iPhone is gone from both client lists.

Neither the 2.4 G or the 5 G settings on the router have the AP isolated box checked.

Oh, well.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Waltjb

Premium Member

to Waltjb
Don't rely on the modem client list as a validation that something is working....that isn't what that is for...If you are able to connect, surf and do whatever else you expect to do then you are fine.

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Ah!! I learned something new again. Thanks.
Waltjb

Waltjb to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you are able to connect, surf and do whatever else you expect to do then you are fine

Good. I can do all those things.
So, as I understand it now, the 2.4 Ghz wireless is replicated on the AP with the same name, e.g. NAME. However, the 5 Ghz wireless on the router is not replicated with the same name on the AP, so I see only one 2.4 Ghz SSID.
On the router the 5 Ghz is NAME5G, and on the AP it is NAME-5G. That's why I see two 5 Ghz SSIDs?
Should the name of the 5Ghz on the AP be the same as the one on the router?
I downloaded the user guide for the WCB3000N, so now I know how to access it. I did, but did not make any changes.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Waltjb

Premium Member

to Waltjb
If you synced them correctly they will have the same name for both.

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

Waltjb

Premium Member

I thought I did. So, I should not have two 5Ghz wireless SSIDs?

I'll turn off my iPhone, so nothing is connected to the -5G one and try it again. Should I hold the button on the AP until it turns red, or just for the 10 seconds?

I synced again, but still have 2 5Ghz SSIDs.

Should I change the name on the router to match the AP or vice versa?

Never mind! I finally got a good sync. I now have one SSID for the 2.4 Ghz and only one SSID for the 5 Ghz. Whew!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Waltjb

Premium Member

to Waltjb

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Indeed!
Now I can think about ordering a second AP for the guest room.
Waltjb

Waltjb to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Is the WPS light on the AP supposed to be green all the time? I never paid attention before, so it may have been that way since it was installed. It has been green since the good sync.

Wiseguy
@73.191.134.x

Wiseguy

Anon

Yes. Its suppose to be green

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Thanks.
Atomic
join:2012-02-27
Saint Petersburg, FL

Atomic to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you synced them correctly they will have the same name for both.

Good afternoon, BHNtechXpert - Gary if I recall... I just had Echo installed yesterday and all is great with it. However, I have this issue the OP had with duplicate SSIDs appearing on some devices when setting up WiFi connections. I have a service call set up for Sunday morning as L2 support could not get me squared away - but ideally I would like to solve this and cancel the appointment.

It is strange to me because not all devices see the repeated SSIDs. For example, an iPhone 6 and iPad only see the network SSID listed once for the 2.4 and 5MHz bands respectively. However, a Panasonic Smart TV shows both bands listed twice and they can be determined which is the Gateway and which is the AP by signal strength so I just connected to the strongest which was the Gateway.

I cannot figure out why some devices see 2-4 networks (depending on 5GHz support) and other just see the 1-2 (depending on 5GHz support).

I have factory reset the AP both through the GUI and with the button on the device. I have successfully WPS paired it to the Gateway and even tried manually configuring it to match. The only thing I have not tried is turning off the SSID Broadcast for SSID1 on each band of the AP as I am not sure if that will also disable the radio altogether. Additionally odd seeming is the Default Gateway as listed on Advanced Setup page of the AP GUI reads 0.0.0.0 by default after pairing. Changing it to 192.168.0.1 makes no difference in performance and Auto Configure is checked. I have set it back to 0.0.0.0.

I am stumped. This would be cool if I wanted to run 2 different networks throughout my house each with it's on 2.4GHz and 5GHz unique SSIDs, but my understanding is that it should be configurable so that only 1 SSID is broadcast for each band regardless of your location in your house/network. Adding to my head scratching is that some devices only see one instance as expected, yet others see the duplicates as well.

I hope you can help me out and I can avoid this service appointment. I so appreciate all you do here. This site is well populated with your sage knowledge for all who lurk.

P.S. I would like to add my name to the list of Tampa Bay customers for early 150/10 speed upgrade access as soon as it is available to the early adopter requests.

Thanks so much in advance, and if I need to take anything into Direct, let me know and I will jump right on it. I would like to solve this and move on. If I can figure out how to Direct that is, lol.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Waltjb

Premium Member

to Waltjb
I can't now because I don't know what you have changed since you logged into the admin consoles of the AP's the simple and proper solution would have been for you to follow the instructions I posted above for each AP.

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Is this for me? Although I did log on to the AP, I didn't change anything. I followed your directions for syncing.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Waltjb:

Is this for me? Although I did log on to the AP, I didn't change anything. I followed your directions for syncing.

No Walt...

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Thanks. Had me worried, since I sent the availability times as you asked, I thought the "can't now" referred to that.
Atomic
Saint Petersburg, FL

Atomic to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Sorry Walt and sorry to hijack your thread. I have the same problem. Gary, the current configuration is exactly your instructions. Reset access point to factory default. Verified it was reset as it had the Actiontec default SSIDs listed. Paired with gateway. Verified SSID1 and PSK matches Gateway on AP after pairing. It does. Still seeing duplicates on certain devices.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

You are going to see two for each band but they will be the same...one will have a stronger signal than the other based on where you are in the home. If you are lucky enough to have devices that are smart enough to determine the best connection between the two (sorry Apple you aren't one of those devices) then it will autoselect and connect to the best one.
Atomic
Saint Petersburg, FL

Atomic

So what I am seeing/experiencing is normal behavior? Field techs and level 2 support representative had both affirmed that you should only see the SSIDs being broadcast once regardless of where you are in relation to the equipment.

If this is in fact normal, please play out the following scenario with me:

My Panasonic plasma has a network adapter that is wireless-N and supports 20/40MHz at 2.4GHz or 5MHz. I have it set to use DHCP assignment and it sees the same 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs listed twice for a total of 4 (even though other devices mysteriously only see the 2.4GHz or 5GHz SSID once depending on what they support (which is the part that has really thrown me off). The TV, unlike my network printer (static IP), does list signal strength. So if I want it to be on the 5GHz band, I can pair it to the stronger or weaker signal and it should not matter. If I pair it to the weaker one, it should automatically realize that the same network has a gateway right there and switch over to it regardless? Same goes for the network printer on the 2.4 GHz SSID?

If the answers are affirmative to how it should behave on the above scenario, how come some devices only see the one instance and others see the duplicates when searching SSIDs?

Side note: It does appear as if the iPhone does switch over from 5GHz on the gateway to 5GHz on the AP depending on where I am automatically without any need for user intervention. I am no Apple apologist, but I think the Apple devices are among the few I have that only list the SSIDs once as I can only presume they recognize the redundancy?

Anything in particular I would need to do to get on that Tampa area speed boost to my Lightning 90? Another thread I should be posting in?

Thanks again Gary on all fronts. I may not need that service call after all. Sometimes the biggest problems are already solved despite your best efforts, right?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Atomic:

Side note: It does appear as if the iPhone does switch over from 5GHz on the gateway to 5GHz on the AP depending on where I am automatically without any need for user intervention. I am no Apple apologist, but I think the Apple devices are among the few I have that only list the SSIDs once as I can only presume they recognize the redundancy?

Only the latest Apple devices do it and in our tests not very reliably. Samsung products switched the fastest and almost without fail. The older the device the less likely it will meaning you will have to select the better of the AP's manually.
Atomic
Saint Petersburg, FL

Atomic

So the 2 different band's SSIDs being visually broadcast to certain devices twice is in fact the expected behavior? I would not be questioning this behavior of the network at all if that was what I had been told from the get go.

The devices that are not seeing duplicates - iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 4s, iPad 2nd gen, iPad 3rd gen, Samsung laptop, Roland digital piano.

Devices seeing duplicates - Brother printer, one year old Panasonic smart tv, Samsung blu-ray player.

Some are static, some DHCP, so that appears to have no bearing. DHCP range is set to start at 100 and all static IPs are in the lower range starting with 192.168.0.2 so I should not be having conflicts as a result of that.

I cannot confirm WiFi observations for my PC or Xbox One, which are hardwired.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Waltjb

Premium Member

to Waltjb
Based on your description of the issue it is working as expected.

Waltjb
Waltjb
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Waltjb

Premium Member

Response to Atomic?