spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

TVWS Carlson Wireless

Any updates to anyone using this gear? Curious about cost/distance/NLOS performace/speed

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

I'll have to look it up. Around $3,000 for AP and $600 for client. The testing so far from what I've found was only a few miles. Speed was like under 10 Mbps.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
I am waiting for channel bonding to become a thing and the CPE price to halve before I will look at it.
I think a UHF tv channel is only 6 or 8mhz and so we would need to bond multiple channels together before any decent speed is realized.
A 10mbit AP typically wouldnt be able to handle 5mbits per client and you cant really be offering 5mbits or less to customers anymore.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

The FCC's idea for "one channel per market (for non-licensed gear)" will sink that idea.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor

said by WHT:

The FCC's idea for "one channel per market (for non-licensed gear)" will sink that idea.

Possibly true. RSM here is looking at just licencing 30mhz blocks because it doesnt look like there will be a RF reference database avaliable to the devices, so they are thinking if the WISPs just have 30mhz to play with we can just set the channels as we so please, like with current gear.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to wirelessdog

MVM

to wirelessdog
Without naming vendors (my understanding is that I'm under an NDA), all I can say is "very beta". With one vendor we're really heavily into knob-twiddling ("oh, there's a problem, try manually setting the modulation on those clients" - that kind of stuff). Another vendor looks good (low ping, good throughput), but requires a standalone PC with the base which is kind of hokey.

In general - expensive, slow, max of less than a dozen customers per (expensive) base. On the upside, working customers with no LOS and 2 hills in the way, so... there's that.

I have no sense if this stuff will ever get to WISP "commodity" status.

And as it is, we're talking 6MHz channels, so you are not competing with cable or good DSL, you're only looking at people with satellite as their other option.

YMMV, etc.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by sporkme:

I have no sense if this stuff will ever get to WISP "commodity" status.

The WISP TVWS market is probably too small for Qualcom Atheros. If they came in, you will have Ubiquiti and Mikrotik products at low cost.

Google is using Neul module for their demo network in South Africa. It has many bugs, and their custom IC is not ready yet. For whatever reason, they only have maximum 16QAM, so theoretical max is 24 mbps. Because of bugs, and noise from TV transmitters in adjacent channels, it shifts to lower modulation, eventually BPSK.

I developed an FPGA-based TVWS platform in 2009/10 but could not find venture capital to make products or even go through FCC/IC compliance tests with prototype modules. The few interested VCs seem to think Carlson Wireless will corner the market. It is similar to them thinking no new company can compete with Ubiquiti in WiFi spectrum. Innovation is being suppressed due to such mistaken belief.