join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 edit

jm101

[Price] Comcast Offer

Our triple play promo is about to expire so I called a week or so ago to see what was available. The loyalty rep offered the same price we have now ($119.99/month) with a 2-year contract. Not bad. I called today and was told it would be $119.99/month only for the first year but we could probably call up after the first year to have our rate adjusted again. I am almost completely sure the first rep did not mention this but oh well.

Is that still a decent price? We have the HD Preferred triple play with just a standard X1 box and STARZ. We also pay $1.99/month for an HD DTA.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

EDIT: When we called to possibly order the rep said he could offer it to us for something like $109 for a year after tax. When I called back to verify I found out that he really just gave us $10 off for 3 months. But apparently the price for the remaining months will be $119.99 before tax which is still not bad. Hopefully it's true though.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 recommendation

owlyn

MVM

Well, I just compared the latest FIOS offer to what I have now. It's a little better, but not enough to get me to switch. Basically, for $10/month less (including all taxes, etc.) than I am paying now, for the next two years, I get more-or-less the same channels I have now, plus all premiums (I have only HBO and Starz now). I would get their equivalent to X1 (6 channels at a time, 3 TVs). Internet would be 50/50 up/down (as compared to 105/10 I have now). Phone service would include the price to keep the number unpublished (like that matters these days). Also includes their best gateway device (not thrilled, I like my own router).

I don't care all that much about the premiums, so that's not an incentive. The biggest incentives for me are more HD channels (I only care about NICK HD, which I would get with FIOS and isn't offered on Comcast), as well as the "whopping" $10/month difference.

For me, it's just not worth the hassle of having to be around all day for install, possible need to rewire the house in case they claim my existing RG79 and wiring pattern isn't good enough (works fine for Comcast, but I know it's just barely), change of email address, learning what the new technical problems will be and how to fix them, etc.

I called retentions on 10/30 to see if the would do anything, and basically, except for trying to get me to go to X1, they weren't offering anything. I'll go to X1 eventually, but, geez, after what, two years or more, you'd think they'd have it stable.

Anyway, I hope this helps you determine if you are getting a good deal.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

1 recommendation

FureverFurry to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101
said by jm101:

Hopefully it's true though

That's the tricky part; if it's going to be true .

FWIW, I pay about $112 for Blast 50/10 and Digital Preferred on a promotion. That does include the modem fee and the $3.99/mo "insurance" plan.

I'm envious that you got Retention folks to quote pretty much the same price when you've called back. My only luck is "bad", lol.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

jm101 to owlyn

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

Well, I just compared the latest FIOS offer to what I have now. It's a little better, but not enough to get me to switch. Basically, for $10/month less (including all taxes, etc.) than I am paying now, for the next two years, I get more-or-less the same channels I have now, plus all premiums (I have only HBO and Starz now). I would get their equivalent to X1 (6 channels at a time, 3 TVs). Internet would be 50/50 up/down (as compared to 105/10 I have now). Phone service would include the price to keep the number unpublished (like that matters these days). Also includes their best gateway device (not thrilled, I like my own router).

I don't care all that much about the premiums, so that's not an incentive. The biggest incentives for me are more HD channels (I only care about NICK HD, which I would get with FIOS and isn't offered on Comcast), as well as the "whopping" $10/month difference.

For me, it's just not worth the hassle of having to be around all day for install, possible need to rewire the house in case they claim my existing RG79 and wiring pattern isn't good enough (works fine for Comcast, but I know it's just barely), change of email address, learning what the new technical problems will be and how to fix them, etc.

I called retentions on 10/30 to see if the would do anything, and basically, except for trying to get me to go to X1, they weren't offering anything. I'll go to X1 eventually, but, geez, after what, two years or more, you'd think they'd have it stable.

Anyway, I hope this helps you determine if you are getting a good deal.

Thanks! Definitely helps. Our two big options are AT&T U-verse and Comcast. We had U-verse before and weren't too thrilled. Their Internet speeds were pretty bad and they kept threatening to take away stations.

You are definitely right about the hassle of a new installation. Plus we recently purchased a new Comcast Gateway.

The X1 is becoming a pain. If I recall we had it installed in February. It was decent for a while but the recent problems have been annoying. I can't even count how many times we have had to reboot it in the past month. A rep yesterday was trying to sell us on a X1 DVR and talked about its features. Haha. Yeah... when it works.
jm101

jm101 to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

said by jm101:

Hopefully it's true though

That's the tricky part; if it's going to be true .

FWIW, I pay about $112 for Blast 50/10 and Digital Preferred on a promotion. That does include the modem fee and the $3.99/mo "insurance" plan.

I'm envious that you got Retention folks to quote pretty much the same price when you've called back. My only luck is "bad", lol.

That is the tricky part for sure! Maybe I should call billing again.

That isn't too bad. We just have Performance Internet.

Lol. We usually get lucky with promotions.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

Robert to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101
When I use to work for Comcast, any 2 year agreements came with a discount the first year, and then the 2nd year it was locked in at the regular price. This is why they offer 2 year agreements, because they know you are locked in on the 2nd year at the regular rate.

We were not allowed to make adjustments to customer's pricing when they were on the 2nd year (the system would give us errors).
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 edit

jm101

said by Robert:

When I use to work for Comcast, any 2 year agreements came with a discount the first year, and then the 2nd year it was locked in at the regular price. This is why they offer 2 year agreements, because they know you are locked in on the 2nd year at the regular rate.

We were not allowed to make adjustments to customer's pricing when they were on the 2nd year (the system would give us errors).

Thanks!

One rep I spoke with said something like the rate can't be adjusted for the second year because I would need to downgrade or disconnect which would break the contract. Makes sense. If it only went up like $10-$15 the second year it wouldn't be that bad but $25 (I think) is a bit steep.
jbd441
join:2014-03-20
Sarasota, FL

jbd441 to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

I though Comcast was past the 2 year agreements. I stayed with Comcast for internet and have been thinking about adding TV service with them or switching to Verizon. All Comcast upgrades/bundles are no contract. Verizon gives you a choice and with their latest promotions I can't see a price difference, only with a two year with Fios you get a $400(triple play) Visa gift card. The other prices are the same. JME.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

jm101

Called back today and it turns out Comcast applied a regular Digital Preferred package (No Starz and HD) then added the HD so it would be $129.99/month before tax. Retentions initially offered us $129.99/month before tax for the same package we have now so we opted for that. Way to keep a promise Comcast.