uniqs
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Can't get Google to load in IE?

I usually use Firefox as my browser of choice but just to see how IE is lately I opened it up and tried to go to Google and it would not load. It just hangs like its trying to go there but never loads.

It loads fine in FF on the same machine and IE can go to all other websites fine. Only problem seems to be with google. I tried www.google.com ad just google.com but it just hangs. Anyone else experiencing this?

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat

MVM

Loaded ok here v11
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
For me, it depends of the Google service I try to use. For example, IE.8 works terrible with Google Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps). I have to wait for several minutes to settle down and open a page there... On the other hand, plain Google search page works just fine, so far...
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Just going to main google.com web page and no good. Odd thing is that this seems to be the same on all my PCs. I set them all up the same with same settings on each one. Could this be a setting or something like that? Because, as I said, I can get there fine with FF.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Try google.ca.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

It's not that I can't get to google. I can use other browsers. That's not my question. My question is why can't IE get there? Seems odd to me.

Can't be my connection or ISP or modem or router because I can get there via other browsers. But yet it can't be just that PC because other PCs that I set up the same way can't get there either. Therefore I'm thinking that it has to be a setting but for the life of me I can't figure what I changed that could account for one website not being able to be visited.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
try to find what the problem is..

have you tried accessing other websites, for testing? like "dell.com", yahoo.com, dslreports.com..

check to see if IE has been configured to use a "proxy", or if your DNS settings have been changed..

i was able to access google.com (and microsoft.com) with IE 6, running windows xp..

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
No problem here running IE 11 on Windows 7x64. My first guess would be that it's a DNS server issue but since your other browsers are working that kind of throws that out. I guess the first thing to do would be to reset IE to the default settings, it's under Properties Advanced and go from there.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
What version of IE are you running and on what OS? Knowing this could help narrow down what is causing it.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Take a look at the IE add-ons, Extensions and tracking protection.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Sentinel

to Sentinel
Like a lot of companies, Google dropped support for IE8 a couple of years ago just like Microsoft did and has dropped support for IE9 for some online apps.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Could be TPL'S and other. Do you have added lines in your Hosts file that could prevent Google from running under IE ? Reboot your DNS and try again.
First I read of this sort of bug with IE.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

redwolfe_98,
Yes, I can go to any other website. At least as far as I can tell. I have not been to every website Not set to use proxy and I have default DNS settings.

BGB,
Good question. I am running IE 11 fully updated on Win7 on all PCs involved.

rfhar,
I rarely if ever use IE so I have no add-ons or extentions. As for tracking I will check that.

siljaline,
I have only the default hosts file. No lines have been added.
I don't think this is a bug in IE. Since no one else seems to be having these problems I am fairly certain that it must be a setting that I changed that for some reason Google doesn't like.

I guess I will just have to reset to default settings and then go one by one until I figure it out.
Sentinel

Sentinel

Premium Member

OK, even weirder. So I took 1 PC and reset IE to default settings. Not too much of a surprise, I was able to go to google. Then I set the settings right back they way I had them before and, big surprise, I was still able to go to Google! Checked against another machine that was set up the exact same way and it could not go to Google either. Rest to default and then put the settings back the exact same way as it was before the reset and now I could go go to Google.

So the only thing I could think is that somehow a hidden setting got changed and resetting it back to default fixed it.

Thank you all for your ideas. All fixed I guess.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

I was just going to say do an (RIES) reset IE but you've done that and succeeded. Could be a zone setting that went awry on you.

At least resetting IE isn't too big of a deal.