spc
Search similar:

uniqs

doityourself
@50.132.92.x

doityourself

Anon

[HVAC] replacing a wall heater

Hi, I have a 240v wall heater that I am putting in to replace one that was there when I bought the house (never used it). My cadet register heater has 2 black wires from it. In the wall I have two wiring harnesses (thermostat and breaker box?), each with 1 red, 1 black, 1 white, and the copper ground (8 total wires). How do I wire all those to the 2 black wires on the wall heater? Thank you for any help

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

2 edits

1 recommendation

tschmidt

MVM

Re: replacing a wall heater

Not sure why you posted this question three times.

You should double check exactly how your residence is wired. Assuming normal color code The Red and Black wires are hot, since the heater is 240v the White neutral wire is not needed.

Remove the thermostat to see how it is wired? It should be a two pole thermostat to open both hot conductors. For that you are going to need a cable with 4 conductors plus ground. If the thermostat is only a single pole it presents a shock hazard in that even when the heater is off it is still live. If someone opens up the heater thinking it is off they are at risk of 120v shock.

Normally the 240v feed is routed to the thermostat, so it can be switched, then on to the heater.

/tom
edit:looks like the mods deleted the extra posts.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 recommendation

tp0d to doityourself

Premium Member

to doityourself

[HVAC] Re: replacing a wall heater

Working with 240v is not your typical DIY...

from the position you've illustrated in the post, you'd be best served by calling an electrician.

-j
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to tschmidt

to tschmidt

Re: replacing a wall heater

Your points about a two-pole thermostat are well-taken, but I'm unaware of any heaters that use two-pole stats.

In any case, the OP should call an electrician.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by harald:

Your points about a two-pole thermostat are well-taken, but I'm unaware of any heaters that use two-pole stats.

In any case, the OP should call an electrician.

If it's a separate stat, it can and should be. All mine are.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to harald

MVM

to harald
said by harald:

I'm unaware of any heaters that use two-pole stats.

Not sure about UL requirements for built in thermostat. That issue is different since even with a 2-pole thermostat voltage is present if you open the unit.

NEC requires external thermostats with an off position to open all non-grounded conductors. The reason is if you turn something off, there should not be voltage present.

/tom