All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Brent5
join:2014-10-21

Brent5

Still Active??

Anyone else's Millenicom SIM and hotspot still active and working? Powered up my MiFi today on a whim and was shocked to see it still working.

Curious to know whether none have been cut off yet or whether mine slipped through the cracks.

STINKO
@70.197.64.x

STINKO

Anon

My older jetpack Mifi 4620 is still connected to Verizon. According to Verizon, as we all know, the accounts were supposed to be terminated yesterday.
But in my Mifi 4620 Usage window is says Unlimited stops on Dec 1, 2014.

All I am worried about are sneaky stealth usage charges by Verizon on what it claims to be a free courtesy extra few weeks to get a new account started.
Is this some kind Christian charity by Verizon? Does a dog walk on it's hind legs?
RichA
join:2014-10-16

RichA to Brent5

to Brent5
As we were discussing last night in the other thread, I too first thought that because of the e-mail Verizon sent to us on Friday, that service had been extended to 12/01 ...because they were overwhelmed with calls and were "extending the deadline" to sign up for new service with them. And also because the 12/01 date is what is being reported on my hotspot too.

However, they didn't mention a date in the e-mail pertaining to how long we had. Diugo pointed out that Verizon was keeping the date nebulous on purpose so as not to be unfair to those who scrambled and actually did wait hours and hours on the phone to sign up. He thinks, as I now do too, that the service will be cut within the next few days (not until the end of the month as I first thought). They're giving all those, like me, who called and didn't want to wait hours to talk to a rep, a few extra days to sign up for new service with them. As soon as the call volume dies down, I expect service will suddenly cease.

I hope we get until the end of the month but I'm not too hopeful that will be the case.
simpsomatt
join:2006-08-21
Paris, KY

simpsomatt to Brent5

to Brent5
Still active. I doubt they will stay active all month. The display said active through 12/1 even before the extension, when the official cutoff date was supposed to be 11/8. It doesn't mean anything.

There's no way Verizon can legally charge for any usage that you have not agreed to pay for. You had an agreement with Millenicom. That agreement has been cancelled. Verizon has taken over the line, but you never authorized them to bill you for anything.

va cell
@70.208.138.x

va cell to Brent5

Anon

to Brent5
watching Netflix on it as we speak
RichA

RichA to simpsomatt

to simpsomatt
Still active. I doubt they will stay active all month. The display said active through 12/1 even before the extension, when the official cutoff date was supposed to be 11/8. It doesn't mean anything.

Yes, I realize that the display was reading 12/01 before the e-mail was sent announcing the extension but maybe they had already determined that they were going to extend the date as they already knew from the beginning that they were getting swamped and could not keep up with the call volume.

I'm not saying it's fair to extend the date to 12/01 but I'm just hoping that's the case as they probably know that they don't have all 7,000 of the ex Millenicom customers signed up for new service and they are probably hoping that they can get a few more because of people like myself who just don't have the time to sit on hold for hours in order to beg them to sign me up for service.

But as said before, I think it'll be sometime this coming week where service to all ex-Millenicom folks will end. And I also agree that there's no way they can charge anybody for any usage in November if you have not authorized it.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

said by RichA:

there's no way they can charge anybody for any usage in November if you have not authorized it.

By using it you have authorized it. Or you can look at it as theft of service. Your choice.
bacchus101
join:2007-02-09
USA

1 edit

bacchus101

said by wirelessdog:

By using it you have authorized it. Or you can look at it as theft of service. Your choice.

Absolutely wrong.

They can not charge you and it would never hold up in court being Millenicom cancelled all accounts. All Verizon got from Millenicom was account information, not credit card data. It would take entering into a new, valid contractual agreement for Verizon to charge any fees.

As to theft, that's just idiotic. The upstream provider, Verizon, is offering internet use as a courtesy.

Big Red doesn't make oversights that cost it money, only oversights that cost us money.

With the hit & miss nature of Verizon's outreach to Millenicom customers (they still have not contacted me) the most likely rationale behind leaving some SIMs active is to give them more time for conversions knowing that once the SIMs are shut off, people will seek out other options on their own.

Heck, I'm going to guess there is still a good number of people that have no idea Millenicom is even out of the internet business.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by bacchus101:

Heck, I'm going to guess there is still a good number of people that have no idea Millenicom is even out of the internet business.

I believe you are right but they will find out when Verizon cuts it off.
RichA

RichA to bacchus101

to bacchus101
Thank you, bacchus101. Excellent rebuttal. I couldn't have said it better.

"Theft of Service" usually applies only when a person obtains services by either force, threat, deception, or other deceitful means. I don't believe any of those components exist in this case. I just don't see it as "theft" of any kind but I'm not a lawyer.

Furthermore, it would not be worth Verizon's trouble to pursue anybody for theft of service for 22-days --or for any amount of days that the service is kept available after November 8th-- particularly if the person does not sign up for a new account. It just wouldn't be worth their time to go after that individual.

Anonny
@24.153.63.x

Anonny

Anon

Millenicom jetpack still working
aidensiegle
join:2014-11-11

aidensiegle to Brent5

to Brent5
Wait, so until they shut us off we have unlimited data, without any charge?
David_K
join:2014-05-02

David_K

Pretty much, yeah.

STINKO
@70.211.139.x

STINKO

Anon

My old mifi 4620 is still connected.

I typed in my new mobile phone number, for my new mifi gadget, into my Verizon Account Login page, but now they want something called an "account security code" number.
What the hell is that?
There is no such number located anywhere on all the crap Verizon has sent me, either in the package box, or in the emails.
Can someone tell me where I can locate this "account security code" number?

Geez, getting a new gadget started from Verizon is like going into a government top level ultra security facility. Just plain absurd and ridiculous and way over doing things.

nonanon
@24.153.63.x

nonanon

Anon

did you receive a text message with that number?

STINKO
@70.211.147.x

STINKO

Anon

No, the only message in the text box, when started the gadget for the first time, was the infamous phone call number.
I could write a long detailed description, as others have done, about all the asinine, bullshit, problems I have been having with activating this gadget. But I would only be repeating what the majority of customers have been going through.
The few 'happy face" grinning posters here who say they had no trouble with Verizon are in the minority, and I don't really believe them anyway.
A "happy face" painted on an H-Bomb won't stop it from exploding. You get the idea.

I am returning the gadget, and I will never do business with Verizon again.
bacchus101
join:2007-02-09
USA

bacchus101 to STINKO

to STINKO
said by STINKO :

I typed in my new mobile phone number, for my new mifi gadget, into my Verizon Account Login page, but now they want something called an "account security code" number.
What the hell is that?

It's the last 4 digits of your social, unless you changed it.
songsearch
join:2009-03-27

songsearch to Brent5

to Brent5
Verizon Hotspot still active, but obviously being throttled starting yesterday (11/12). Got a new hotspot deal 20GB Verizon from BMI, we'll see how that goes. No antenna jacks on the new BMI MIFI, rats, but maybe can move the SIM to the Millenicom Hotspot, which does have them.

Also signed up at Sprint for a 30GB/mth deal for $110.00, using a 341U modem. Still building a pair of MIMO antenna for 4G reception, so not up to speed quite yet, but picks up 3G signal well enuf.

So it's costing me about $20.00/mth more for the same amount of bandwidth I had before the big shakeup. If I can iron out the antenna problems, not too terribly bad.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by songsearch:

Verizon Hotspot still active, but obviously being throttled starting yesterday (11/12). Got a new hotspot deal 20GB Verizon from BMI, we'll see how that goes. No antenna jacks on the new BMI MIFI, rats, but maybe can move the SIM to the Millenicom Hotspot, which does have them.

Also signed up at Sprint for a 30GB/mth deal for $110.00, using a 341U modem. Still building a pair of MIMO antenna for 4G reception, so not up to speed quite yet, but picks up 3G signal well enuf.

So it's costing me about $20.00/mth more for the same amount of bandwidth I had before the big shakeup. If I can iron out the antenna problems, not too terribly bad.

Throttling? Not here. Still the same performance as normal

Purged
@173.153.10.x

Purged to songsearch

Anon

to songsearch
said by songsearch:

did the same deal with the Sprint Mothership. After "resellers" killing my connection 4 times and bricking 2 modems.

FYI

I'm using a single ANT connection to the #1 Port, which does 3G and LTE. The 2nd port brings in GPS and a higher level of "tower tracking/finding" if you actually use the 341 as a Mobile device, like On The Road as opposed to Home Based

I'm using the Mag Mount ANT that MaxSignal sold with that Cyfre package, that I got to boost Sprint 3G back in the Millenicom days. Of course the AMP does not effect LTE, but the ANT does capture a stonger signal.

I'm in the LTE fringe- due to terrain. This set up gets me 1 bar and 3.5 to 6MB down on LTE, depending in the traffic-time of day. Way faster than 3G

The Connector from the Netgear to the ANT is getting scarce.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· T1BF2573

The Netgear help site links you to the sellers of that little piece of wire ....Amazon, 3GStore...etc

»kb.netgear.com/app/answe ··· id/23718

STINKO
@70.197.66.x

STINKO

Anon

The "imp of the perverse" is still connected to the Galactic Internet with his old MIFI 4620LE tricorder.

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo to Brent5

to Brent5
I am extremely amazed that the Millenicom service is still on this morning. It has now been a full week since I received my only email regarding the debacle---the one from Verizon.

Anon101
@162.58.82.x

Anon101

Anon

It's no longer Millenicom service..Verizon is giving former MC customers time to decide if they want to sign up with one of their plans. I'm still using mine to stream Netflix until they shut it down. Works great but I'm guessing it will be shut down long before then end of the month.
Brent5
join:2014-10-21

Brent5

said by Anon101 :

It's no longer Millenicom service..Verizon is giving former MC customers time to decide if they want to sign up with one of their plans. I'm still using mine to stream Netflix until they shut it down. Works great but I'm guessing it will be shut down long before then end of the month.

May depend on how all of our account were actually set up. Until MC users contact Verizon, accept a new contract, and move their device to their own personal plan; they're probably still using a line that is a subaccount of some MC umbrella account.
Brent5

Brent5 to diugo

to diugo
said by diugo:

I am extremely amazed that the Millenicom service is still on this morning. It has now been a full week since I received my only email regarding the debacle---the one from Verizon.

I am, too. My guess would be that it's because the whole process was just such a mess and so disorganized. Could even be that some are still active while others aren't - depending on how they were originally set up. Guess all the anecdotal evidence so far has them all still active, though.
songsearch

songsearch to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
said by Jack in VA:

Throttling? Not here. Still the same performance as normal

Back to full strength today, must've been a glitch somewhere along the line.

STINKO
@70.197.74.x

STINKO to Anon101

Anon

to Anon101
I miss the old unlimited Millenicom plan that was rather inexpensive compared to the current Al Capone plan prices. It was great.
I could "pig out" then and not worry about checking usage everyday. They did mention though that anyone going beyond 50 GB would be on a watch list, so it was "unlimited" kind of.
I always stayed below 50 GB, mostly in the 40 GB range.
David_K
join:2014-05-02

David_K

It's fairly easy to stay below 50GB if you don't watch all your videos in HD or download AAA games.
songsearch

songsearch to Purged

to Purged
From what I've read about the 341U, the antennae ports are meant to be MIMO, meaning that dual antennae are attached for better reception, supposedly because a MIMO setup takes multiple feeds and combines them, and works even better with obstructions in the line-of-sight, which is definitely what I'm dealing with here. Attaching two antennas should greatly improve reception, and having them in opposing polarizations (at 90 degrees to each other) helps even more, according to what I've read.

I think the deal with the 'Y' pigtail that everyone seems to be selling is to allow use of a single antenna, with the resulting loss in signal, but don't quote me on that. I'll be testing the dual antenna setup once I get some cabling and finish the 2nd antenna this week and will report back.

A couple more comments - I believe Sprint LTE is broadcasting on 1900Mhz, Verizon on 700-800Mhz from the specs I've read, so your old antenna might not work if it was designed for Verizon reception.
Interestingly, I bought a 'Y' pigtail for the 341U, saw that it didn't work for the single 1900Mhz antenna, so tried it on the old Millenicom Hotspot Jetpack with two antenna ports. Majorly improved 4G signal! So maybe the Jetpack is MIMO also?

Purged
@173.153.0.x

Purged

Anon

this is the ANT I'm using

»www.maximumsignal.net/sh ··· nna.html