Search similar:

uniqs
rb5505
join:2013-02-06
united state

rb5505 to Brent5

to Brent5

Re: Still Active??

Got a 2nd notice on the jetpack from Verizon to call them again. Wonder how it feels to be left hanging and not knowing what I'll do? :>)
rb5505

rb5505 to Purged

to Purged
said by Purged :

this is the ANT I'm using

»www.maximumsignal.net/sh ··· nna.html

You're using this with the Netgear 341U?
cbobby7
join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD

cbobby7 to songsearch

to songsearch
I'll check back. I also see that 've reached out on the Sprint forum.

XRAYMAN is a vg source for advice.

PS: I finally logged on, found that post-it with my paswrd. I've been posting as Purged
cbobby7

cbobby7 to rb5505

to rb5505
said by rb5505:

You're using this with the Netgear 341U?

cbobby AKA Purged
yes.
SBoD
join:2011-10-10
Brookfield, MO

SBoD

Are you using the 819 amp/kit? Is it possible to use 2 antennas with that single amp or would one have to get another amp?
songsearch
join:2009-03-27

songsearch to Purged

to Purged
said by Purged :

this is the ANT I'm using

»www.maximumsignal.net/sh ··· nna.html

That'll definitely work. My place is underneath some huge CA oak trees without a clear shot to the tower. The Verizon Jetpack worked well enough even under the tree canopy with a similar single antennna, but the Sprint 341U modem's signal is weak 3G with the same antenna, won't even connect LTE unless I take it out in an open area away from the trees. Money's tight at the moment, so I'm DIYing a couple of yagi antennas from junk in my garage to see if I can save a buck or two. Haven't spent anything yet except for cable, so no great loss if they don't fly. I think most of the cost of those yagi's you see for sale is labor, the parts don't amount to much.
cbobby7
New Windsor, MD

1 edit

cbobby7

I'm in a hollow. When you look at the coverage maps from Sprint, there's LTE all around and on the ridges, but a small spot of "FAIR LTE" in the shadow of the hills. They put up a couple of new towers within a 3-5mile radius and did some recent enhancements on them, so there's plenty of Signal to go around. That used to be big problem back in the 3G only era.

With the Cyfre AMP, I get a full strength 3G signal and up to 2.5mbs download.

PS to SBoD. You can use 2 ANT with the Cyfre Amp if you get a splitter but that AMP has no effect on the LTE signal.

InElbonia
@162.247.73.x

InElbonia to Purged

Anon

to Purged
said by Purged :

Of course the AMP does not effect LTE, but the ANT does capture a stonger signal.

It should, unless there is something weird about your amp.

I am using the same Wilson amp that I used with Millenicom for 3G. It works on LTE as well, although probably not as well as a dedicated 4G LTE would. I typically get 3 - 6 Mbs down, but sometimes see 10 - 12 Mbs. With the amp bypassed, I barely get a connection, even with a grid antenna. I have a very difficult path full of trees.

I connect on band 25 only.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA to Brent5

Premium Member

to Brent5
Just checked my hotspot and it had 3 messages. One was the first with the phone number, the second was a new password to use to activate until I switch the accounts and the third was a different password to use with the same wording.

Not sure what that means as I'm still online with the exact setup I've been using all along. Anybody got any info?

MackthKnife
@24.153.63.x

MackthKnife

Anon

Verizon is SO screwed up. I have two cell phone accounts with them. I recently received two emails that said I was approaching my data limit. BOTH emails were addressed to another person and phone number I do not have. But Verizon sent ME their warning. Fucked up company

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
said by Jack in VA:

Just checked my hotspot and it had 3 messages. One was the first with the phone number, the second was a new password to use to activate until I switch the accounts and the third was a different password to use with the same wording.

Not sure what that means as I'm still online with the exact setup I've been using all along. Anybody got any info?

Are the passwords actually "registration PINs"? These are texted to devices whenever someone tries to register a new account at vzw.com. But they would need your device's phone number to do this.

The other thing interesting is that my jetpack has two messages. The second message is a "second notice" warning about the impending service disruption---but without any date this time.
Brent5
join:2014-10-21

Brent5

said by diugo:

Are the passwords actually "registration PINs"? These are texted to devices whenever someone tries to register a new account at vzw.com. But they would need your device's phone number to do this.

The other thing interesting is that my jetpack has two messages. The second message is a "second notice" warning about the impending service disruption---but without any date this time.

So you think maybe they've given his number to someone else??

I haven't gotten any notices at all (email, text, anything) but it was probably because I had already started the process of canceling MC service before all this started. As soon as the double-data promo was offered by AT&T, I saw that as a better option for me.

So it was even more of a surprise when I realized my MC SIM still works given that MC should have been shutting it off anyway regardless of the VZ situation. Guess by that time, nobody cared anymore!

Would be perfect if my MC SIM card just slipped through the cracks of this whole thing and was left active!

diugo
Yuma, AZ

diugo

said by Brent5:

Would be perfect if my MC SIM card just slipped through the cracks of this whole thing and was left active!

Yes, it does seem that the text/email group has become more targeted.

I think by quickly canceling your Millenicom service, you may have escaped having your info sold, as well as increased your chance of flying below Verizon's radar.

Conversely, anyone who keeps resisting selling their soul to the Big Red devil may stand a higher chance of having their Millenicom IMEI declared "not activatable" when the plug is finally pulled.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys

I turned off my device on Oct 31,I just happened to have a very large,very hot fire going that day burning yard trash that has been piling up for two year's that's where it ended up battery and all was gone in a flash. I have not had to use 1 match and i'm still burning right now should be done today.
winger94
join:2008-04-15

winger94 to Brent5

to Brent5
I've got a new one.... I made the change from MC-2-VZW, originally wanted the more for everything 40gb plan that I was initially offered, but they made an error and I noticed my online billing was charging me for 40 but only getting 20. I called them back and asked them to correct it, but was told I could not get the 40. She sounded very irritated, said that was ALL she seemed to be doing that day was doing "clean up" from other agents. Said If I wanted no contract, data only, ALL I was eligible for was the 20gb for $99. OK, whatever.

So she grumbled and hemmed and hawed, then said it was corrected and was crediting my account the other plan so it would essentially equal my $99 plus all the taxes and usage since inception. She kind of abruptly ended our call once it was all done. I looked at my account later that evening, noticed it was at zero usage. After several days, STILL at zero counter. I have no idea where my usage is currently, although I'm VERY sure I would be under my 20gb usage if I continued to use it like I did this past week, which was very little.

SOOOO..... Do I call them back a 5th time and tell them of their error or do I let it go and see what happens?
cbobby7
New Windsor, MD

3 edits

cbobby7

My one and only Broadband experience with Big Red ( I did have a VZ landline since they bought out the local phone company years ago), was 4 years ago, getting DSL service. I was renting a house while on a job, in a town that had DSL service, (but no Sprint signal).

I spent a good hour on the phone with Sales. First of all they told me that my Landline meant nothing to them Re: credit worthness, starting another acct, etc.

I only wanted DSL, and not a Phone-line to the rental house, since I was going to use my Cell Phone for talk. Plus setting up a Land Line to that house was going to COST EXTRA. And I was only goiing to be there for 6 months.
I insisted that I only wanted DSL service.
This was a "problem", which eventually the Salesperson, admitted was not a problem, I could just get a DSL line.

I went over the charges that would be assessd, line-by-line penny by penny and was given a "firm price", and agreed to purchase the DSL only...nothing else...service.

A week before I was to move I get mail from Big Red with my Modem...summarizing the charges that would be due....Did not match the agreed upon price....I called and was told that the original Salesperson...Mis-Spoke and this was the price. I bit*hed and the Xtra Charges were removed.

So I move into the house...it takes about 2 hours on the phone with Tech to get the DSL line operational. Something about "not turning it on until the 1st of the Month". Even though I went thru the fact that I was moving in a week earlier and WANTED the DSL service to START on a given Date (Oh YES sir that won't be a problem ---we can start it then)

A month later, I get my first bill, and see that I am being charged for a Game package?????. I call them and am told that because I didn't OPT OUT, I chose to accept the Game Package. They, after an argument, removed the charge and "canceled" my Game subscription.

Also The Connection software put all sorts of Big Red crappolla on my computer and my browser, stuff I couldn't get rid of until I deleted the entire software package, when I canceled the DSL service at the end of the 6 month stay.

So my time wasted trying to "buy" a simple service that they advertised added up to several hours, plus irritation, fending off their efforts to charge/sell me stuff that I didn't want to buy. And then not providing the service on the Date I wanted the service to start.
Brent5
join:2014-10-21

Brent5 to winger94

to winger94
said by winger94:

After several days, STILL at zero counter. I have no idea where my usage is currently, although I'm VERY sure I would be under my 20gb usage if I continued to use it like I did this past week, which was very little.

According to the link below (near the bottom), the zero usage issue is a known problem. Verizon's "solution" is apparently for you to contact them to check your usage...
»www.rvmobileinternet.com ··· updates/

STINKO
@70.211.141.x

STINKO

Anon

My old Millienicom gadget is still connected to the Internet.
"This is just plain weird", as Rod Taylor said in that old Twilight Zone episode before he was yanked away.

Well, I did use Verizon's extra online "courtesy" time to purchase one of their plans. But as with so many others here, and elsewhere, the plan stunk to high heaven, or to the lowest bowels of hell.
I got so fed up, and frustrated, that I used Verizon's "courtesy" time to return their blasted package and I was even tempted to place a Peckinpah/Bradbury special in the returned package.

I have used Verizon's "COURTESY" time to find and purchase a plan from another company, HAH, Hah, hah.
I won't tell you which company and which plan, but it's only a temporary strategic move until the Al Capone bigtime providers offer better deals to their chump customers.

Someone here mentioned that they were milking Verizon's "courtesy" time by watching streaming movies from Netflix. How many GBs does each streaming movie from Netflix use?

I just hope our "courtesy" indulgence time doesn't turn into "court" time for all us milkers.
David_K
join:2014-05-02

David_K

I've been using Youtube and an hour worth of 720p video is around 1GB.
Expand your moderator at work
songsearch

songsearch to cbobby7

to cbobby7

Re: Still Active??

said by cbobby7:

My one and only Broadband experience with Big Red ( I did have a VZ landline since they bought out the local phone company years ago), was 4 years ago, getting DSL service. I was renting a house while on a job, in a town that had DSL service, (but no Sprint signal).

Back when Songsearch was still in business (90's), we had two Verizscum DSL lines for hosting our website. Every damn time they'd come to do any sort of line repair in the building, we'd get disconnected. And it would take hours on the phone and days before they'd send anyone out to put us back online. Nowadays, I grudgingly use them for cellphone service because there's no alternative where I live. Sure wish there was more rural competition, phone and internet. I guess Obama is pushing to have the internet providers re-classified as utilities that everyone must have access to, so maybe we'll have a choice one day. Sooner or later, he's going to make a mistake and do something right, I hope.
cbobby7
New Windsor, MD

cbobby7

said by songsearch:

re-classified as utilities

There's no money in that, so it will never happen... even General Colin Powell's son Michael - former FCC Chairman now Lobbyist...thinks it's a very very very BAD idea.

It's just Obama trying a lame appeal to "you Folks out there who be sufferin' ...the middle class"
cbobby7

cbobby7 to David_K

to David_K
said by David_K:

an hour worth of 720p video is around 1GB.

Oh yeh VZ chosing to "discontinue" its FIOS expansion is going to work out really well for the unwashed, who will have to buy Gigs on a Wireless Data Plan.

Ya think the Content Providers (Netflix) and the equipment manufactures (those 4K with 60'++ screens) are going to give-some-love to that VZ CEO who sez FIOS is no longer part of our "bidness model"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Netflix streamed roughly 6.5 billion hours of video or 19,500,000 terabytes of data during the first quarter of this year. At that rate, it's estimated that Netflix will stream 78,000,000 terabytes of data in 2014 alone.
These numbers are based on consuming around 3 GB per hour for HD programming, so the numbers will jump significantly should Netflix see meaningful consumption of their new (and more expensive) 4K offerings, which eats around 7 GB every hour.

»Netflix Streamed 19,500,000 Terabytes in the First Quarter [26] comments
bacchus101
join:2007-02-09
USA

bacchus101 to cbobby7

to cbobby7
said by cbobby7:

There's no money in that, so it will never happen... even General Colin Powell's son Michael - former FCC Chairman now Lobbyist...thinks it's a very very very BAD idea.

Would you really expect a lobbyist CEO for the National Cable and Telecommunications Association to say anything different?

The only thing it is bad for is corporate profit margins as it would mean the end of overpriced tiered internet. It would also be the beginning of a surge in municipal broadband, which is currently outlawed in districts across the country with laws crafted by lobbyists such as Michael Powell, whose primary job is to keep Americans subjugate to Verizon, Comcast et. al.
songsearch

songsearch

Google balloons, we need Google balloons. They say they're gonna float 'em over Africa, and everyone will have internet. There's probably some FCC rule against doing it here in the U.S. Seems like a good idea, tether 'em with a power cable. I imagine they could get some altitude if they somehow kept the cable light enough.

diugo
Yuma, AZ

diugo

said by songsearch:

Google balloons, we need Google balloons. They say they're gonna float 'em over Africa, and everyone will have internet. There's probably some FCC rule against doing it here in the U.S. Seems like a good idea, tether 'em with a power cable. I imagine they could get some altitude if they somehow kept the cable light enough.

Here along the Arizona-Mexico border they already have a similar concept called "tethered aerostats", DEA radar systems operating at up to 15,000 feet AGL. No heavy power cable though. Instead, a generator and a 100 gal diesel tank are up in the gondola! They pull it down once a week for refueling.

Hola
@12.40.178.x

Hola to songsearch

Anon

to songsearch
It depends on how much it will take to get congestion from air circulation currents away.
cbobby7
New Windsor, MD

cbobby7 to bacchus101

to bacchus101
said by bacchus101:

It would also be the beginning of a surge in municipal broadband,

Westminster Md, in Carroll County is putting in Municipal broadband

»www.govtech.com/local/We ··· ork.html
simpsomatt
join:2006-08-21
Paris, KY

simpsomatt to Brent5

to Brent5
Just got a "final notice" email that says it will be cut off 12/1

A review of your account indicates that you have a MiFi mobile internet device and a wireless service plan with Millenicom. Effective 12/1/14, Verizon Wireless service to your MiFi device will be suspended.
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

Got the same thing just now here. Not that it matters since I'm on a new account with them already.