El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Mechanical Keyboard issues

I spilled some red wine on my Das Keyboard Model S pro a while back and I have a couple of sticky keys, basically the #3 key and the Enter key on the Numpad.

I've already removed the keycaps and cleaned the switches out with rubbing alcohol, and I've gotten modest improvements but I don't really know where to go from here. My problem is that these keys often end up sticking, making it so that I have to unplug and plug them back on boot.

I've seen people lube the keys with oil online and a few other things, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Must be some residual goo inside the switch.
Flushing the bad switches with 99% isopropanol out of a squeeze bottle while hammering the key might help as would soaking. It is possible to take the switch apart (without removing its base) though I imagine its hard on the switch (though in this case its NFG anyways so there is little to loose). Worst case you might have to replace the bad ones by unsoldering the defective one and replacing it with a new.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

Worst case you might have to replace the bad ones by unsoldering the defective one and replacing it with a new.

That's a challenge I'm not sure I'm willing to undertake yet, but learning something and getting those keys back would be better than buying a new Keyboard.

bbrcat
Remembering Lisa...
MVM
join:2000-12-09
FL

bbrcat to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
I have run cheaper keyboards through the dishwasher with great success.
They need to be thoroughly drained/dried before using again. Removing affected keys prior to helps tremendously.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

1 recommendation

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by bbrcat:

I have run cheaper keyboards through the dishwasher with great success.

I'm very afraid of this, but it's not the first time I hear this suggestion.
El Quintron

El Quintron

Premium Member

OK I got it working, thanks for all your help. The issue wasn't that I hadn't cleaned the switches out properly, but that I hadn't reseated the key caps properly after cleaning them.

It turns out that with the Das Keyboards you have to press the Key Cap down a little harder than I expected to make sure the key cap is fully reseated.

Looks like these things can take a bit more of a beating than I initially suspected, that's quite good seeing as my kids are little tornadoes of destruction.