Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

Done with Chrome - fed-up

(Couldn't find a related forum...so...since I run Kubuntu, looks like as good as place as any.)

I really want to support Google ('ya gotta admit, they've got and are developing some very cool stuff), but that Chrome browser just sucks. As I think about it, the whole Google Search sucks.

Example: my current opening page is news.google.com. It might/might not open all the way - the latter is the norm. I "google" something and I get a blank screen - for MINUTES, not seconds.

If I repeat the exact method above with FireFox, instant results.

Now, I'm blaming Google - but to be fair - in the back of my pea brain, it also might be AT&T U-Verse adding snags to my Google interface to information. I just don't know. I know AT&T has a love affair with yahoo, so, there could be something there.

In the meantime, its FF for me (don't offer others - I only use 3: Chrome, FF, Tor)

/whew - thanks - needed to get that off my chest.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Just use whatever works for you. If FF works, it's a good browser, so enjoy.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to ImpldConsent

Premium Member

to ImpldConsent
Resolving host... (for the domain i just visited 10 seconds ago)

I'm not sure if chromium is doing the same thing but I don't like that it takes longer to build chromium than it does to build my entire X to desktop set of packages.

And firefox resolves everything just fine as fast as I can randomly pick from a thousand bookmarks. It's always chrome, and just chrome except when there's obviously some gremlin in the network upstream.

But, I'm not done with chrome yet.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox to ImpldConsent

to ImpldConsent
I too have a desktop that is running the latest Kubuntu release and Im not seeing any sort of slow downs in chrome or firefox. I have both U-Verse and brighthouse in a multi WAN setup on my pfsense box. The U-Verse is used as a failover and in my personal experience the internet instantly sucks when I have to use my AT&T connection but nothing like what you explain.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to ImpldConsent

to ImpldConsent
If Chrome was the problem, everybody would have the problem. As far as we know, you are the only one with the problem. Now, I run about 10 copies for work at one time and none of them have any of the issues you bring up.

So, there's something wrong with your machine or your install. Most likely your installation of Chrome or one of its dependencies.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

As far as we know, you are the only one with the problem.

Yep, you're probably right. Out of millions of Chrome installs, I'm the only one. (actually discounting your 'install' comments) the most likely cause is in the network leading outside of my LAN. I can recreate this on a pure vanilla box (Lubuntu 14.10) with pure vanilla Chrome (38.x).

I'll track it down eventually and maybe, just maybe, I'll join the millions in perfect-land and be in Chrome bliss.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

In terms of potential, Firefox is just a better browser. In terms of rendering accuracy, function, RAM usage, and extension API. So why worry about Chrome now? I gave Chrome a try for awhile and now hate it with a passion. I, too had random issues with webpages rendering a white screen or incomplete(including job applications which really pissed me off), so you're not alone. As to Chrome's claims on speed, I tuned Firefox to my system and added a couple extensions and it is far faster than Chrome on 99% of sites.