Search similar:

uniqs

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

[Internet] Cheapest place to get CGN3?

Hey guys,

I was thinking of purchasing CGN3, so, i don't have to pay Rogers $12 each month.

It doesn't have to be new modem though, what place would you recommend for this?

Thanks,
D
TFArchive
Premium Member
join:2003-02-03
Gloucester, ON

TFArchive

Premium Member

It is regularly on sale at Best Buy and Future Shop for $150. It is back up to $199 now though, which is still $50 less than Rogers but it has been cheaper before so if you can wait it will likely be on sale again.

damir
CANADA

damir

I can wait

Thanks

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to damir

MVM

to damir
At one Rogers store in Ottawa [Carlingwood] they were selling the CGN3 for $169 .... that was 2 weeks ago .... have no idea if the price fluctuates. BTW, if a Rogers store sells it for 169 then all you have to do is call Rogers Sales and they will convert your rental to a sold product and bill you on your next statement.

damir
CANADA

damir

Yea, maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea as well, since the modem i got was brand new.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to mozerd

to mozerd
Rogers corporate retail always sells it for $169.99. The advertised price of $199.99 is when you purchase it online or through the call centre. Not sure why it's cheaper through retail, but it's always been this way.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga

grand total to damir

to damir
2001 Audio Video

damir
CANADA

damir

They sell it? WOW! lol

Thanks man
damir

damir

What is the process of activating my own modem \ if any1 could share please.

If i go and buy this modem tomorrow, what do i do? bring it to rogers store when i am returning rogers modem, so they can de-activate theirs and activate mine (how billing will be done?)
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga

grand total

I bought a DPC3825 a couple of years ago. As far as I can remember I did it all by phone, then returned Rogers gateway at a retail store.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to damir

to damir
said by damir:

What is the process of activating my own modem \ if any1 could share please.

If i go and buy this modem tomorrow, what do i do? bring it to rogers store when i am returning rogers modem, so they can de-activate theirs and activate mine (how billing will be done?)

That will work just fine if you do it at a corporate store

damir
CANADA

damir

Thanks

Ill go talk to guys on their live chat, see if they can match the price with the modem i have now , probably not, but ... lol
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

There's really no point in doing that. You have to go to a Rogers store anyways to return your rental modem so you will have to physically leave your house anyways.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

He can't do it from live chat? I believe he's trying to turn his rented modem into a purchased one.

damir
CANADA

damir

Yep, thats what i was trying to do, but, that did not work

Picking up that modem from 2001audiovideo tomorrow, and going to the store.

orrrrr.. price match @ bestbuy or futureshop, so, i can get additional 10% of the price difference, couple of bucks only though, lol
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

said by damir:

couple of bucks only though, lol

Couple of bucks is a couple of bucks . Depending on how far out of the way it is compared to 2001audiovideo!

damir
CANADA

damir

5 minutes, on my way back from 2001audivideo and ur right. will do that

tnx guys
damir

damir

Just purchased it, it came from older firmware though ://

HW Version 1A
SW Version 4.1.4.4

Now its waiting time :P
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to Anzio

to Anzio
The serial number and MAC address of anything rented, can't be changed to "purchased " you have to get a modem who's mac is designated for purchase equipment.
They are not interchangeable.

The process to activate is.
1. Get the modem.
2. Connect modem.
3. Call Rogers
4. Give them the serial number (they'll validate it as a purchased piece of equipment, they may want to know where you bought it as they'll have a record of what store was sent that modem).
5. Wait about an 10 min for it to reset.
(if it doesn't reset on its own, pull power, plug it back in).
6. Take your rental equipment back to retail.

damir
CANADA

damir

Its already all done, i went to store with new and rental modem, they switched it in 20 seconds.

Thanks
damir

damir

A question, as i am still new to Rogers and their hardware.

Is there any difference in CGN3 modems? ( like .. first batch of CGN3 modems that came out, and modems that are selling \ renting at this time?) (Hardware wise - or its only difference in software\firmware?)

I spoke to one of the guys from Rogers, and i was told that he finds it very weird that i have this : SW Version 4.1.4.4 on my modem, its like "very very very old" .

This is 3rd day that i am waiting for firmware to be pushed to my modem (latest\stable one).

As this was from 2001AudioVideo, i am sure that, all 3 modems they had in local store were sitting at the back for months, probably, they hardly sell any modems.
I checked all 3 modems they had in stock, and they ware all 'dated' the same, and looks like this modem \ model is from 7/2013 (so, about a year and half since it was packaged?)

Should i be concerned about this? Should i return this Modem and get one from Rogers store directly?

Thanks,
Damir

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by damir:

A question, as i am still new to Rogers and their hardware.

Is there any difference in CGN3 modems? ( like .. first batch of CGN3 modems that came out, and modems that are selling \ renting at this time?) (Hardware wise - or its only difference in software\firmware?)

I spoke to one of the guys from Rogers, and i was told that he finds it very weird that i have this : SW Version 4.1.4.4 on my modem, its like "very very very old" .

This is 3rd day that i am waiting for firmware to be pushed to my modem (latest\stable one).

As this was from 2001AudioVideo, i am sure that, all 3 modems they had in local store were sitting at the back for months, probably, they hardly sell any modems.
I checked all 3 modems they had in stock, and they ware all 'dated' the same, and looks like this modem \ model is from 7/2013 (so, about a year and half since it was packaged?)

Should i be concerned about this? Should i return this Modem and get one from Rogers store directly?

Thanks,
Damir

The CGN3 I got from Rogers about 3 weeks ago came with 4.2.4.3 pre-installed if that's any help.

damir
CANADA

damir

I just spoke to guys @ Rogers community, and yea, looks like the only difference is the firmware on it, as my Modem was packed in 2013, of course it came with older firmware on it , so, i only have to wait for firmware push from Rogers

for HW version, does it say 1A as well?

Thanks
arthurwinslo
join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to damir

to damir
Futureshop and Bestbuy have a promotion every few months where the modem is reduced to 149.99 with a bonus $25 gift card for the purchase.

And no, The gift card cannot be applied to the actual purchase made.

The only difference from the 2013 to 2014 packed modems is the firmware revision which I have personally verified by opening my modems. The board layout is exactly the same.

damir
CANADA

damir

Thanks a lot man for confirmation!

I paid this thing $148 @ 2001AudiVideo, which in my opinion is fair price as well.
damir

damir

anyway, last night CGN3 was going down like crazy, had to reboot it 2 times before went to sleep.

Returned it to 2001AudioVideo, and got CGN3 with latest firmware on it from Rogers store (manager matched the price for me, so all good).

Thanks
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Don't return the modem.

The original firmware has bugs, it needs the latest firmware. This takes about 7-8 days to get. Rogers can't push it for you any sooner, you just gotta wait it out.
Everytime you swap it, you very well could be restarting your wait for the new firmware.

The version you got will disconnect connection around every 12 hours. You will lose it on the LAN ports first, but a power cycle should bring it back (for another 12 hours).
This was resolved in the latest firmware. However, the latest firmware has its own bug.
On the latest firmware.

If you connect a 10/100 device to it, your speed will max at 40mbps. Regardless of your package. (Unless your package is under 40mbps, then you'll get top speeds).

If you want top speed over a wired connection a 10/100/1000 (gigabit) network card is required (or a 10/100/1000 device, Ie. Gigabit Router, PS3, Xbox etc).

This issue should be resolved in the next update coming soon.

damir
CANADA

damir

Looks like you did not read my post

With latest firmware i have no issues at all, nor i had them on rental modem, everything runs as it should now.

Tnx
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I read it. Obviously you didn't read my post.. and it's not just about you, it's for anyone stopping by this thread/site trying to find an answer to the problem you had.

The latest firmware (as in the one you have currently) still has a bug.
If everything's good on your end, you must have gigabit network adapters connected.

In the event you don't, or really and truly, for anyone else just reading this thread. The new bug will be fixed Via firmware update expected anytime now.
I want to say first week of December but I'm not 100% certain of the date.

damir
CANADA

damir