Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to redwolfe_98

to redwolfe_98

Re: MS EMET 5.0 Updated

said by redwolfe_98:

said by scelli:

Any word whether this conflict also exists with prior versions? I'm using EMT 4.1 Update 1

the "conflict" was related to EMET 5's "EAF+", which was new, with EMET 5.0..

Thanks for the info. Had previously installed 5.0 a short while back on all three of my units (Win 7 Pro x64, Win 7 Home Premium x64, Win Vista Ultimate x32) but rolled back the two Win 7 units to the 4.1 Update 1 version because of general operational sluggishness, especially where IE 11 was concerned. The other day, decided to take a chance and install the 5.1 version on all three units and ended up reinstalling 4.1 on the Win 7 boxes again, which is the way it stands now. FWIW: left 5.1 on the Win Vista unit and so far it seems to be OK...but that box has IE 9 running.

BTW: all three boxes are running the latest version of FF, which is 33.1 as of today.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

2 edits

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

scelli, i edited my post because i got conflicting information, regarding "EAF+".. first i read that EAF+ was new, with EMET 5.0.. then i read that it was "improved", in EMET 5.0, meaning that earlier versions of EMET also had EAF+".. so, i don't know..

uhg.. looking at the blog-post again, it looks like EAF+ is in fact new, with EMET 5.0:

»blogs.technet.com/b/srd/ ··· -v5.aspx

Announcing EMET 5.0

"Let's start with the two new mitigations, which we initially introduced in EMET 5.0 Technical Preview: the Attack Surface Reduction (ASR), and the Export Address Table Filtering Plus (EAF+)."
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by redwolfe_98:

scelli, i edited my post because i got conflicting information, regarding "EAF+".. first i read that EAF+ was new, with EMET 5.0.. then i read that it was "improved", in EMET 5.0, meaning that earlier versions of EMET also had EAF+".. so, i don't know..

OK...no problem. I'm just going to stick with 4.1 for now on the two Win 7 units and maybe down the road a bit someone else will have a bit more info.

At least the program is easily installed/uninstalled/reinstalled as necessary.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by scelli:

I'm just going to stick with 4.1 for now...

You're choice but workarounds have been published for EMET versions prior to 5.1

»Microsoft EMET - Armor Against Zero-Days Bypassed Again

»Disarming Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by StuartMW:

You're choice but workarounds have been published for EMET versions prior to 5.1

That is a valid point and think I may try the previous suggestion to disable SEHOP in a re-installed 5.1 to see if the sluggishness still persists.

Oh, well: here we going again and maybe this time it will be worth the effort.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well as you said uninstalling/installing EMET is relatively quick/painless

I've certainly done it more than I would've liked over the last few days.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

1 recommendation

scelli (banned)

said by StuartMW:

Well as you said uninstalling/installing EMET is relatively quick/painless

I've certainly done it more than I would've liked over the last few days.

Just "did the dirty" on my two Win 7 boxes and will see what transpires. Welcome to the show that never ends...