spc
Search similar:

uniqs
multiverse
join:2005-01-22
Oakland, CA

multiverse

Southwest Airlines Wifi is Slower than early modems from the 90's

I am aboard a Southwest plane and just ran the DSLReports speed test on my laptop. 34 kbps down/ 40 kbps up. I remember when I bought my first modem that would do 50 k, and at the time I was happy to download small pictures in under a minute.

In this day and age, I would think Southwest could hire some router programmers to throttle connections in favor of their business travelers. Instead, the guy next to me is watching TV while I can barely squeak out this post. (It took thirty seconds to load this page.)

Forget about VPN or Remote Desktop. The connection negotiation will time out before it can even finish the handshake.

I want my $8 back, Southwest. This is crap.

PS: I am aware of the half-second latency inherent in satellite connections. I can accept a half second latency, but the streaming speed is appallingly slow as well. Bad job, Southwest.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

I noticed the same thing when I was flying southwest. Their speeds were crap.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

8 recommendations

LazMan to multiverse

Premium Member

to multiverse
You're 34,000 feet in the air; travelling around 500 mph, and complaining your internet isn't fast enough?

#FirstWorldProblems just doesn't seem to cover it...

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

2 recommendations

dvd536 to multiverse

Premium Member

to multiverse
270 people sharing a 1.5mbps connection. ewww
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

and wants special treatment because "business class" yeah not happening that's not. 1.5mbit shared with that many people.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

NefCanuck to multiverse

to multiverse
I think the question really boils down to "What was promised" vs. "what was delivered"

If Southwest Airlines promises a minimum speed available to each passenger on their wifi connections and fails to meet that standard, then yeah there's some screaming to do.

If on the other hand all they promise you is a "connection" with no guarantees as to its "usability" and they make that disclaimer clear before you cough up the $8 or whatever they are charging for that connection, then as the saying goes: "You pays your money and takes your chances"

NefCanuck
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG to multiverse

Premium Member

to multiverse
said by multiverse:

Instead, the guy next to me is watching TV while I can barely squeak out this post. (It took thirty seconds to load this page.)

Are you sure the guy next to you was streaming the video? He could have been watching something he had previously downloaded onto his device before getting on the flight.

Louis CK
@98.226.122.x

Louis CK to multiverse

Anon

to multiverse

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· YS7PcAG4

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to multiverse

Premium Member

to multiverse
I'm a frequent flyer on Southwest and the poor speeds on their wifi is frequently complained about on sites like Flyertalk. It's very hit or miss but even at the best of times it's still just okay at best.
said by TheMG:

said by multiverse:

Instead, the guy next to me is watching TV while I can barely squeak out this post. (It took thirty seconds to load this page.)

Are you sure the guy next to you was streaming the video? He could have been watching something he had previously downloaded onto his device before getting on the flight.

In addition to the regular wifi they offer a streaming live TV option. Unlike the wifi it actually works quite well which raises the suspicion that they are allocating more bandwidth to the TV portion and not enough to the regular wifi. Southwest claims that they work over different delivery systems but you can't help but get frustrated when you can stream good quality TV but can't check your email.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

I would assume that they are 2 different networks
Live streaming provisioned from satellite feed , that just needs to be streamed of wifi internally on the plane. No actual internet connection needed.
Actual internet is over a Sat link like Hughes net.

Just my guess

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to multiverse

Premium Member

to multiverse
I am going to Fremont CA thanks for the heads up I will not be paying the $8 I will be spending the 2 hours listing to my MP3 collection and watching movies on my phone.
Thanks for the heads up.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to alg

Premium Member

to alg
said by alg:

I'm a frequent flyer on Southwest and the poor speeds on their wifi is frequently complained about on sites like Flyertalk. It's very hit or miss but even at the best of times it's still just okay at best.

said by TheMG:

said by multiverse:

In addition to the regular wifi they offer a streaming live TV option. Unlike the wifi it actually works quite well which raises the suspicion that they are allocating more bandwidth to the TV portion and not enough to the regular wifi. Southwest claims that they work over different delivery systems but you can't help but get frustrated when you can stream good quality TV but can't check your email.

Agreed. I just flew back into Houston today from Orlando and the internet speeds were terrible. They felt slower than AOL dial-up. The streaming television service worked quite well though.
ilikeme

ilikeme to PoloDude

Premium Member

to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

I would assume that they are 2 different networks
Live streaming provisioned from satellite feed , that just needs to be streamed of wifi internally on the plane. No actual internet connection needed.
Actual internet is over a Sat link like Hughes net.

Just my guess

The system Southwest uses is satellite based. Most of the channels available were the same thing you would get if you streamed the network from their site or app on iOS or Android. It was not their normal cable or Dish Network/DirecTV feeds. NBC and FOX were the NYC affiliates.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
If they allowed you to use your LTE would it work and that speed and that far up?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by jchambers28:

If they allowed you to use your LTE would it work and that speed and that far up?

No - the antennas used for cell service/data are directional - they're typically aligned level, or with a slightly downward angle, depending on how high they're mounted; to provide coverage at ground level. Cities with lots of high-rise buildings may have some towers with secondary antennas pointed at a slightly upwards angle, to cover users above the height of the tower.

It's actually not uncommon to be at or under a cell site, and get poor to no reception, because you're outside the antenna's range of coverage.

Some of the ground based aerial data services basically use cell antennas pointed 'up' to provide coverage - but it's pretty spotty, again, because they are so directional.

(Besides being a Firefighter, I actually do a lot of work with cell and telephone companies... )

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

ok thanks I had no idea.
jchambers28

Premium Member

to multiverse
too bad they cant offer you free wifi.

ilikeme
Premium Member
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

They can. They just don't want to.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

1 edit

jchambers28

Premium Member

read some info about Dallas love field they are charging for wifi also sounds like I am using LTE while I am there Stupid bastards. I am paying $300 for a flight they could at least offer free wifi.

ilikeme
Premium Member
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

I always just teather to my phone anyways. Its usually faster than public WiFi and more secure. I have 20GB of data so its not really a big deal.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
Dallas Love Field has free wifi that I used about a week ago. It might have a time limit on it though.

ilikeme
Premium Member
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Yea, I have used it at DFW and Houston Hobby and am not aware of any time limits on those.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to alg

Premium Member

to alg
30 MIN limit going to be there for 3 hours.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

removed to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

read some info about Dallas love field they are charging for wifi also sounds like I am using LTE while I am there Stupid bastards. I am paying $300 for a flight they could at least offer free wifi.

Are you traveling to Dallas to meet up with Darius Rucker?

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

No I am going Fremont Cal there is a 3 hour lay over in Dallas for a plane change then off to the bay area.
jchambers28

Premium Member

to multiverse
suppose to go back to Dallas next moth to go get a new repo tow truck.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· WdBAIbMg