spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

Internet Options "Proxy Server" check box denying getting online

I have done several AVG virus scans, Malwarebytes etc. in "Safe Mode", but can`t keep the "Use Proxy Server"" box under Internet options (Win7 Pro) *unchecked* in order to be able to get online or check mail. I have also removed MSCONFIG "Start Ups" down to 1 or 2 unrelated to issue.

Something (?) is rechecking the "Use Proxy Server" box after each start up, reboot, or even closing and opening the (default) Google Chrome Browser.
I also get an empty DOS box very briefly at desktop start up.

Can somebody here point me in the right direction to discover and eliminate what appears to be some sort of Malware Browser exploit?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Hello Matrixx,

Is your box for "AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS" checked?? -- If it is,UNCHECK IT and then see if you can keep PROXY SERVER unchecked......

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to mattrixx

to mattrixx

Re: Internet Options "Proxy Server" check box denying getting online

Sounds like malware to me.

You could run Autoruns & see if you see anything that might be out of place.

Or your could run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version should be fine) & see what it comes up with.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to mattrixx

Premium Member

to mattrixx

Would AVG or something of that nature need this setting for its IDS or some such name.
If a proxy is set up and will not go away, it is tied to something or a system service is locked into it and will not unload.
Whether it be good or bad, it anyone's guess.

Get rid of AVG is an option.
Reset Winsock is one option.
Scan for bad ware is another.
Reset Winsock after badware is another.

Maybe more.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

quote:
Get rid of AVG is an option.
One of the best suggestions.

It's a POS app and is pretty much useless.

What's the proxy it sets to?

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

Thanks for the responses

Yes, I believe it is Malware of some sort, but so far I have had NO luck finding and getting rid of the culprit using AVG and Malwarebytes, each run under "Safe Mode".

I did not mention that this is not my own personal computer, but rather one of our church computers with a 5 computer AVG *Business* Edition license. I called up AVG support and after a cursory examination of the computer via "remote", could NOT find anything relevant. This "support" ticket ended by promising to send me an E-Mail link to 2 diagnostic programs I was to run, and then take a screenshot, and also zip up an event viewer log to send back to them for further analysis by higher level support! However, I never was sent their E-Mail link and am still waiting! Further more, I think AVG is taking the wrong approach? I believe this infected system is beyond their capability? Or at least their 1st tier support.

Any ideas or comments to aid in fixing this issue would be appreciated. I am just a volunteer and can't
really put in the time necessary to troubleshoot this issue more than I already have.
mattrixx

mattrixx to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

What's the proxy it sets to?

I am presently not at the computer in question, however it was set to 127.127.127 and some ridiculously high port number which I cant now remember. I blanked all this and checked the "do not use proxy" which then appeared. After a troubleshoot reboot these settings all reappeared as before, as when set normal to "Auto detect settings" and having the Proxy server box un checked!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I'm assuming that it's I,E, you're having problems with...........try installing a version of Palemoon and make it the default browser.

See if the default proxy stays on.............if it does then you'll know it's an I.E. issue.

»www.palemoon.org/downloa ··· ng.shtml

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

said by ZZZZZZZ:

'm assuming that it's I,E, you're having problems with..

No I.E.. They are using Google Chrome Browser as default.
When trying to use I.E. it wasn't even setup as I recall?

Thanks for the link.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to mattrixx

to mattrixx

Good luck Matrixx,i hope you can figure it out for them