Search similar:

uniqs
IantoJones
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
San Leandro, CA

IantoJones

Premium Member

[Rant] Comcast Tech disconnected my line and lied about it when asked..

So I'm at home watching YouTube on my PS3 yesterday afternoon, and I see two comcast trucks pull up outside. They were working on top of the pole... turns out they were running a new line to the house two doors down from mine.

After about 30 minutes, my PS3 lost connection to the internet, and I look over at my cable modem and the lights were either off or blinking. I look outside, and the tech is still up on the pole.

I wait a few min for him to come down, and I went out to see what was going on. I asked what he was doing - he said he was adding a new line for my neighbor - and I told him my modem just lost signal.

He said he has no idea why since he was only adding a line and didn't do anything that would have done anything to my service. He said to try rebooting the modem.. which I knew wouldn't do anything...

He left... which was a mistake on my part to let him leave.

I called Comcast and they said they would send someone out today. A different tech then the one who was out yesterday arrived, and said that the tech from yesterday disconnected my line and connected the new line to where mine was.

Like wtf?!?!

Tech from today said he put in an order for another truck roll to replace or add to whatever the unit is, since it was full... he didn't specifically say it - but the impression he gave me was for the time being he used some kind of splitter between myself and my neighbor.. he said I might see a decrease in speeds until they return with the new equipment.

Not surprised... but it's things like this that are totally avoidable. The first tech knew what he did... so probably because it was a sunday afternoon he didn't feel like fixing the problem and just wanted to go home. My neighbor wasn't even home, so the install wasn't completed.. they had no box or anything - so it's not like if the tech fixed my problem my neighbor would be without service.. they never had service to begin with.

But instead of fixing the problem when brought to his attention, the tech now left a bad impression with both myself and my neighbor. (They said comcast told them the install would happen in the morning but they didn't come out until 4pm, which by that time my neighbor wasn't home - hence the incomplete install)

/rant
SJTech
join:2013-01-28

SJTech

The first guy(s) were contractors. man I really dislike contractors!!
TehGayGeek
join:2002-10-03
Salem, MA

TehGayGeek to IantoJones

to IantoJones
Yeah, they did something similiar to me. They disconnected my connection at the pole twice instead of my neighbors. The first time the guy went back up and reconnected it and put a tag on mine so they would know which one was which. A few months later they disconnected me again instead of my neighbor. I didn't catch the tech, so I called them. They stated that the tech was just around the corner and would be back to reconnect me soon. Waited most of the day, calling back twice and was told the same thing. At 5pm called a third time and told that everyone had gone home and they could schedule a tech to come out in 2 weeks to reconnect me. I cancelled on the spot and they lost a customer of over 15 years.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to IantoJones

Premium Member

to IantoJones
It seems like Comcast has a major problem with failing to consider plant upgrades when additional homes are added, or more customer lines are installed. When the tap is too small to fit the number of customers, the tap plate should be removed and replaced with one with more ports, and the amplification on that branch of the node re balanced to compensate for the change in signal past the new tap plate. Its not too difficult to do for a plant maintenance tech...just involves some number crunching which can be done with a Computer, and actually moving around a bit to the amplifiers/line extenders and adjusting the gain.

Rather than disconnecting existing customer drops they should put a 2 way splitter in line temporally until the construction work can be carried out to correct the lack of capacity.

The general disconnect between departments (Ordering, Support, Installation Contractors, In-House Prem Techs, Maintenance/Construction techs) is really a disaster. The section of plant that I am fed off of has been suffering from a low signal at the tap for a long time. Comcast techs have noticed this, put in orders for maintenance to look into it.

They never look into it. (Ok they did come out and do something 2 summers ago but it only fixed it temporally - I think its a failed automatic gain unit in a line extender or amplifier).

Its not so bad that the levels are unusable (its around 1db at the tap) but that the margin for error is low - SNR on the downstream is close to the minimum.

The story of life in a Comcast footprint - incompetent support, disconnected departments that cant tell what one arm is doing from the other.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Zenit_IIfx:

ts not too difficult to do for a plant maintenance tech...just involves some number crunching which can be done with a Computer, and actually moving around a bit to the amplifiers/line extenders and adjusting the gain.

It's actually more complicated then that.

Amplifiers have a set gain level the distribution plant is designed around. Amps can be padded down from that max gain, but not really turned up. Underdrive the amp too much and you cause low carrier to noise problems. Overdrive the amp too much and you cause distortion problems.

If the amp gain is padded down (say to allow future expansion), more amps have to be installed to make up for the shorter feeder runs that derated amp allows. More amps, mean more power supplies, and both mean more money for initial build and maintenance after. A decent distribution design has all amps (of same model) outputs set to the same level. The length of feeder runs and number of ports on each tap is engineered based on that amp gain. The losses caused by feeder and taps it serves are calculated and built to give the next amp the same input levels as the amp before or last tap proper levels. Padding is done on the input of the amp to compensate for differences in feeder runs (i.e. 10 db amp input, 35 db gain, 32 db feeder loss, 3db next amp input pad vs. 10 db amp input, 35 db gain, 34 db feeder loss, 1db next amp input pad). Basically all the feeder runs are made to have very similar losses and input padding kept to a minimum.

Installing a tap with more ports, increases through signal loss, and reduces the signal passed down the line. The closer to the end of line the tap is, the bigger the loss in signal adding more ports causes. Changing a tap to more ports, often means changing all the taps downstream in that feeder run to compensate, hopefully with enough signal left for the last tap or input to the next amp.

Many systems I've seen need another amp installed or an existing amp moved because there isn't enough signal left for good performance at the end of line due to tap changes further upstream. The taps were changed by lazy techs just trying to complete a job with out figuring out what happened or what they're really causing by changing the tap. Often those "need more ports" tap requests are because the drop is connected to a tap it wasn't designed to be attached to. It's supposed to go to another tap.

Adding an amp to fix the end line levels means redistribution of power on the system... another exercise in voltage drop and amp draw calculations needed for proper performance.

All of those changes have to go back to the design department so blueprints can be updated. If not, there is a good chance the next tech out notices the change and puts it back to the old design prints he has.

Long story short, changing taps to a model with more ports isn't often a quick and easy thing done same day. It may take days and weeks for a proper redesign and build change if it's economically feasible. Trying to turn up a single amp in the distribution system to make up for higher losses after it, if it's even possible, is just bad engineering and causes all sorts of maintenance headaches.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
you cant just keep cranking up amps because the signal isnt strong enough....granted some techs take that approach, but its wrong and ends up in repeat calls.

Red Hazard
Premium Member
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard to IantoJones

Premium Member

to IantoJones
Similar incident occurred with Charter. A new neighbor ordered service and during the install I lost my internet only service. I went outside as the ACI (Abysmal Communications Inc.) contractor was pulling away and I yelled but he kept going. I popped the lid of the pedestal and the ACI weenie had disconnected my drop from my port and hooked the neighbor up to it. Apparently he could not get service working on the port normally assigned to my neighbor. Charter of course, was non-responsive so I quit and paid another neighbor to use his protected Uverse WIFI.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Long story short, changing taps to a model with more ports isn't often a quick and easy thing done same day.

Thank you for explaining the procedure in detail, I was going off of what I had read previously.

I am wondering now how does a tech manage to connect the drop to the wrong tap? Does it come down to laziness (failing to look around)?