All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Junitas
@104.2.189.x

Junitas

Anon

ATT uverse data line rewiring nightmare... help!

ATT Uverse Voice/Data/TV - Austin

Reworking my home network and, like some kind of dingelberry, I pulled the data line (NID to RG) before I fully examined the wiring scheme. Now I'm having all sorts of issues with Broadband 2 and can't for the life of me figure it out.

To summarize, my NID uses the blue/blue white and orange/orange white pair wired in. I know because those were jumped at the box to my house wiring (Cat 5e). I connected (crimped) those four wires to the corresponding wires on a Cat5e line that runs to my living room, connecting them to the appropriate slots on a keystone Cat6 wall jack:

- 3 = Orange
- 4 = Blue
- 5 = Blue white
- 6 = Orange white

The result is as follows:

- Broadband 1 light = solid green
- Broadband 2 light = red (will sometimes blink green, then turn red)
- Phone 1 light = green (I have one phone line with ATTU)

For the life of me I can't understand why Broadband 2 won't come back up! I cut off the crimps and trimmed back both wires at the box to ensure I have good connections, and I've done the same at the jack and still nothing. If I disconnect the orange pair Broadband 1 stays solid, which seems to imply that's my primary line, but nothing I do with the orange set fixes anything.

What am I missing here? Did I miswire something? I'm using the same 2p/4w data line from the jack to the RG that the uverse tech installed (and which worked fine before). Do I need to call Uverse and get my line reset?

Thanks in advance for any help... absolutely mystified by this one. This should not be this hard...

- Junitas
Junitas

Junitas

Anon

Sorry, quick correction, my wiring at the jack is:

- 3 = Orange white
- 4 = Blue
- 5 = Blue white
- 6 = Orange

Basically standard 568A for those pairs/wires.

Thanks,
Junitas

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Did you recheck the terminations at the NID end?

I am assuming the Cat 5e from NID to Modem was completely replaced

Your wiring pattern is absolutely correct for the Jack termination -- middle pair and pair "around" the middle pair, or pins 3/6 for pair 2 and pins 4/5 for pair 1

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to Junitas

Anon

to Junitas
If was wired in standard configuration you would be correct....

How old is install, in the past and depending on region some techs used the following possible
Wiring pattern...
Blue ... Phone line 1, orange phone line 2, green for Uverse sync, brown (on inside for power to ipsu).
I suspect your other pair is green not orange...

How ever it is possible you are blue/orange pair but in messing with wires, port 2 is out requiring a port bounce by either tier support or a uverse tech service call. This is not uncommon when outside techs work on lines or even Uverse tech at Nid, allow jumpers to touch turning off port (similar to a circuit breaker needing reset).

Junitas
@104.2.189.x

Junitas to ILpt4U

Anon

to ILpt4U

I haven't replaced the 5e from the NID to the modem... it was installed during a remodel about 3 years ago. I guess it's possible I have a bad wire, but:

- I cut back the leads on both ends (a couple inches) to remove any bad ends
- it seems unlikely that the orange pair would be compromised/bad somewhere in the walls while the blue pair is 100% fine.

I guess I can switch to another twisted pair (green maybe) to see if that's the problem, but my larger question is what exactly does Uverse need? A lot of the sources I find online make it seem like it's just a single pair (blue), but as I said both blue and orange are wired in at the NID (which is why I just wired them both through to the RG/Modem).

Blue = Broadband 1
Orange = ...? Broadband 2?

Thanks,
Junitas

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Single pair xDSL U-Verse only needs one pair, be it the blue/orange/green/brown pair

Are you certain both Broadband 1 and Broadband 2 were lit before making any changes?

If yes: Sounds like you have a Pair Bonded service tier, and therefore you need two pairs to carry the 2 xDSL signals from NID to Modem.

I think you are on the right track, Junitas -- start with picking the Green or Brown pair in lieu of the Orange pair, and see if that clears the trouble

I've seen single Pairs in a Cat 5 run go bad. Typically due to either a poor staple job and/or animals, but other hazards are possible.

While tougher on a pair bonded setup, it is still possible to test at the NID -- basically need to use either a Line 1/Line 2 splitter/combiner cord and a couple of standard "phone/data" patch cords, or a custom twisted pair cord with two Single Pair RJ-11 terminations on 2 individual pairs, and then on the other end, a single 2 Pair RJ-14 termination of both pairs, and connect the modem to that @ the NID

Junitas
@104.2.189.x

Junitas to my thoughts

Anon

to my thoughts
said by my thoughts :

If was wired in standard configuration you would be correct....

How old is install, in the past and depending on region some techs used the following possible
Wiring pattern...
Blue ... Phone line 1, orange phone line 2, green for Uverse sync, brown (on inside for power to ipsu).
I suspect your other pair is green not orange...

How ever it is possible you are blue/orange pair but in messing with wires, port 2 is out requiring a port bounce by either tier support or a uverse tech service call. This is not uncommon when outside techs work on lines or even Uverse tech at Nid, allow jumpers to touch turning off port (similar to a circuit breaker needing reset).

My install is only about a year old. Interesting on the port bounce... I had a feeling something like that might be the case. I'm assuming it's something ATT tech can do remotely? I mentioned I thought someone I'd spoken with had done something similar in the past to tech support, but the chick I spoke with was... challenged.

Junitas

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Your request is not exactly in the typical Tech Support script -- you would need to get your call escalated to (at least) Tier 2 tech support, to get around the "total" script, and even then there may be limits

I'm not 100% certain a port bounce will fix this

I'm still betting on a loose wire somewhere, but I could be wrong

Junitas
@104.2.189.x

Junitas

Anon

I switched to another twisted pair and there was no change... Broadband 2 still blinking red. I've actually had a LOT of port issues on my line (our local distribution box is overloaded, and aside from bad ports I've actually had idiot techs cut one of my lines to take it for another install). So, it's entirely possible there's a port issue...

I've got a tech coming in the morning, so maybe I'll just wait for him to come and let him bounce the line What a waste of a night... and I ran out of RJ-45 caps with two lines to cap. TWO LINES... Did I mention one was the POE to power my remote switch? #@%&!

Thanks for all the help.

-Junitas
Junitas

Junitas

Anon

Just a final note to close the loop on this thread. Turns out it was the port... just needed a reset. The tech rebooted it when he got here this morning and it came up green within a few minutes.

While annoying, the upside is that it seems they just installed a new card in our local distribution box (there had previously only been one card, which was old, overloaded, and had been the source for many of the 15+ ATT tech calls I've had). Tech switched me over just for the hell of it.

Thanks to everybody for the help, lots of great insights on the bonded pair set-up to keep in mind for the future. Now I just have to hope that chinese switch I had to install on the back of my house (PoE) can survive the winter.

Junitas