anveo
Premium Member
join:2010-02-08

6 recommendations

anveo

Premium Member

[Anveo] Anveo Direct: New Smart Route feature

Click for full size
Based on the feeback/suggestion from DSLR members we are pleased to introduce a new Smart Route feature for Anveo Direct Outbound Service.

With Smart Route option enabled (see the screenshot) Anveo Direct service will lookup the current xLEC for the phone number called (US only) and then will route the call through that carrier first (you must have that carrier selected as part of the Custom LCR model).

For example; when calling Google Voice phone number the call will be routed through Bandwidth.com CLEC first .

The new Smart Route feature can ensure THE HIGHEST call quality possible.

--------------------
Note: Considering all mergers and acquisitions in the Telecom industry there is a chance that we missed to map some xLECs to Anveo Direct routes so in such cases we welcome any feedback/correction.
propcgamer
join:2001-10-10

propcgamer

Very cool, is this something you plan on implementing automatically for retail customers?
CatsEyeX
Premium Member
join:2014-08-20
Alviso, CA

CatsEyeX to anveo

Premium Member

to anveo
This is a very cool feature. Just one question. What will happen if the cost to route through that carrier exceeds the 'Rate Cap' defined for the trunk?

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by CatsEyeX:

What will happen if the cost to route through that carrier exceeds the 'Rate Cap' defined for the trunk?

It will not be used.

The list of carriers are sorted in order of cost. Smart Route Option will put the CLEC for the number called first in order even if the cost is not the lowest. However, the Rate Cap will still apply.
VoIP2Go
join:2013-12-14

1 edit

VoIP2Go to anveo

to anveo
Well, that's just saved me a whole lot of work. It was something I was in the process of developing myself, but now I don't need to

Thanks.

Edit: Is there an additional cost for the lookup?
anveo
Premium Member
join:2010-02-08

anveo

Premium Member

said by VoIP2Go:

Is there an additional cost for the lookup?

We are doing lookups anyway so there is no extra charge for lookups.
said by propcgamer:

Very cool, is this something you plan on implementing automatically for retail customers?

Yes, we consider doing that.
kush420
join:2013-10-09
Canada

kush420

Will this feature be added to call routing for Canadian numbers as well?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Anveo Direct only has one Canadian carrier.
CatsEyeX
Premium Member
Alviso, CA

CatsEyeX

Premium Member

Are you sure about that? I have a friend in BC that I call frequently. I just checked the number against the file anveodirect.all.csv. It shows me 7 possible carriers for the call.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

That sounds reasonable, however the other six would be American. They would then route the call through one or more Canadian carriers to reach its destination.
CatsEyeX
Premium Member
Alviso, CA

CatsEyeX

Premium Member

Ah okay, that makes sense.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to anveo

Premium Member

to anveo
said by anveo:

With Smart Route option enabled (see the screenshot) Anveo Direct service will lookup the current xLEC for the phone number called (US only) and then will route the call through that carrier first (you must have that carrier selected as part of the Custom LCR model).

This is just beyond awesome.
said by anveo:

The new Smart Route feature can ensure THE HIGHEST call quality possible.

That, and IMHO it will reduce the risk of misrouting - especially with dialed numbers that have recently been ported. (which is an edge case anyway, but still, this additional aspect is proverbial icing on the proverbial cake.)
said by anveo:

Considering all mergers and acquisitions in the Telecom industry there is a chance that we missed to map some xLECs to Anveo Direct routes so in such cases we welcome any feedback/correction.

You mean like how PAETEC is Windstream, or like how MCI is Verizon, or like AT&T, SBC, New Cingular Wireless, Ameritech, etc, are all AT&T, etc?

Also, in some cases despite the mergers the networks are still pseudo-separate for lack of a better term

For instance, Level 3 and Global Crossing merged a while back. But some numbers are still under Global Crossing LRNs. Similarly, Zayo, Onvoy, and 360 Networks are all parts of the same company - not sure how merged the networks are though.
said by VoIP2Go:

Well, that's just saved me a whole lot of work. It was something I was in the process of developing myself, but now I don't need to

I've been doing something kindof similar in an asterisk dialplan. rough around the edges but working. If you don't mind, I'd be very interested in comparing notes with you on this.**
said by anveo:

We are doing lookups anyway so there is no extra charge for lookups.

Any chance you'll be offering ala-carte lookups at some point in the future via the API?

I know there are others that offer ala-carte LRN and carrier lookups already, but competition is (IMHO) almost always a positive thing.

------------------------------------

** realize you''re probably using .NET instead of a mixture of PHP and extensions.conf , but I'd still like to compare notes.

sammoats
Premium Member
join:2014-02-16
Winchester, VA

sammoats to anveo

Premium Member

to anveo
From a competitor of yours +1 Good idea guys!
Sam
mmr1
join:2004-11-23
UK

mmr1 to anveo

to anveo
Just a thumbsup for this feature and to say that Anveo Direct has been a industry changer for me, this is coming from someone who has been following voip developments for over ten years. Well Done!
BinaryTB
join:2008-08-11
Rockville, MD

BinaryTB to anveo

to anveo
This feature definitely sounds great. I looked through the website, check my FreePBX config, got everything "on deck" to check it out, then noticed in the FAQ that the minimum deposit required is $50. Which makes sense, I'm assuming Anveo (non-Direct) is more for regular home users and Direct for high-volume.

I'll have to look into setting this up on my Asterisk install manually (if possible) or wait for another provider to add the same thing.

Not to belittle Anveo Direct though, this is a great addition, congrats!
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by BinaryTB:

the minimum deposit required is $50

You get a small test credit when you sign up. With short calls to US landlines and mobiles, you can probably test 100 destinations for free.

Next, unless this has recently changed, Anveo Direct permits the first deposit to be only $25.

Payments currently do not expire and if you are using only outbound service, there are no recurring charges.
BinaryTB
join:2008-08-11
Rockville, MD

BinaryTB

said by Stewart:

You get a small test credit when you sign up. With short calls to US landlines and mobiles, you can probably test 100 destinations for free.

Next, unless this has recently changed, Anveo Direct permits the first deposit to be only $25.

That's perfect for my usage! Thanks for the info. Didn't see that in the FAQ anywhere. I'll give Anveo Direct a shot this weekend then.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to anveo

to anveo
Do you select a certain carrier when calling Rogers wireless numbers ? If so, there may be an issue with that carrier.
A few weeks ago when I saw this thread I enabled the smart route option on my Anveo Direct account. I didn't realize it immediately but 2-3 weeks ago I started noticing that when my wife called me, many of the calls (something like one third) would make my cell ring just once, then go to voicemail (normally it should ring about 30 seconds). Then I started watching for it and whenever it happened I tried calling it immediately a few times through another line (Telus PRI at the office) and it would work fine every time.
A few days ago I turned off the smart feature (set the Call Routing Method to Least Cost Routing - All Standard Routes/Carriers which is what I've been using previously) and the issue went away.
This is not a complaint, I am perfectly fine using this setting, just through I would let you know of my experience.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

2 recommendations

Stewart to anveo

to anveo
AnveoDirect (and many other providers) bill based on dialed NPA/NXX, without taking LRN into account. IMO, that's not a big deal. Some calls are a little more, some a little less, and the costs are all pretty small anyway.

However, with Smart Route, there is a very strong systematic bias that works against the customer. That's because LRN is taken into account to select the carrier (which of course it should, otherwise it wouldn't be smart), but billing appears to still be based on the dialed number, and calling e.g an AT&T mobile via Verizon Wireless (or vice versa) is quite expensive. With landlines, it's even worse.

For example, without Smart Route, using Custom Routes with all CLECs checked:

Calling +1 775 741 XXXX (VZW in Reno, never ported) uses Verizon, rate $0.00091.
Calling +1 775 848 XXXX (VZW in Reno, ported from AT&T) uses Windstream, rate $0.00134. I don't mind the higher charge, but have had quality issues with this path.

As above, but now using Smart Route:

Calling +1 775 741 XXXX uses Verizon, rate $0.00091.
Calling +1 775 848 XXXX uses Verizon, rate $0.00403, more than 4 times as much. Quality is now fine, but IMO at too high a price. (The LRN rates at $0.00091.)

But when landlines are (apparently) involved, it gets worse:

Calling +1 860 878 1XXX (VZW in Hartford, never ported) without Smart Route, uses Windstream, rate $0.00368. I've had trouble with this number, and the rate's pretty high to boot.

With Smart Route, it goes via Verizon and quality is fine, but the rate is now $0.01295, more than 13 times the $0.00096 rate for the LRN!

A little checking shows that 860 878 is assigned to Southern New England Telephone (AT&T in the recent past; now Frontier). However, SNET only used a few numbers in this exchange; eight of the thousands blocks are assigned to VZW.

IMO, billing by LRN would not only help the customer, it will likely be more profitable for Anveo, because many more users will opt for Smart Route. In addition, some users with their own LCR are likely using Anveo only for calls to numbers ported to carriers with higher termination rates, where the sell rate may be below Anveo's cost.