spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

New guide test ?

Last night around 2-3AM, STB wouldn't respond to anything, and, when it finally did, I could have swore a new guide was shown.
However, this morning, I looked again, and it reverted back to the old one.

Anyone else notice that ?
Ctech
join:2013-07-27

Ctech

DCX boxes had a software update pushed last night, that is why the box wouldnt respond. dont know anything about a new guide being shown though

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Zappa2000

Premium Member

to Zappa2000
I was going to post a question a couple days ago asking why my 1 box on tv in living room flashed but the 1 in bedroom that the wife was watching didn't? That was 2 or 3 nights ago though. This was at about 10:00pm. Nothing else in house flashed as if a quick power flash.

I actually heard the box make a noise when it went out, although the lights stayed on, and thought it had fried itself. It wouldn't do anything for several minutes. When I hit the power button to try and shut it off, it didn't respond to that for a few minutes, then it finally started cycling itself through a total reboot where it had to download the guide and stuff all over.

As I said, the box in bedroom never did anything nor has the 1 in kids room. I don't see anything different on the one in living room.

So, why would 1 box do something like that and not the other 2 and especially since the 1 other one was on also?

Techie01
@71.11.1.x

Techie01

Anon

If they're not HD boxes, they usually push the updates to HD boxes first.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to Zappa2000

Premium Member

to Zappa2000
I don't recall where I read it, but I believe it was mentioned that Charter pushes by serial numbers. In other words, they push to a list of selected boxes (identified by serial number) and not to a region/household. Thus it's possible to see only one box update at a time.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to Techie01

Premium Member

to Techie01
Hope I'm not stealing your topic, Zappa!
said by Techie01 :

If they're not HD boxes, they usually push the updates to HD boxes first.

Nope,
None of the 3 STB's are HD
said by JimE:

I don't recall where I read it, but I believe it was mentioned that Charter pushes by serial numbers

Do they push them in numerical order, or something like that?

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to Zappa2000

Premium Member

to Zappa2000
I don't recall specifics, but that is likely. And with the number of boxes they are dealing with, it only makes sense to push updates to x number of boxes at a time, and not just "all HD" boxes or whatever.
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to cork1958

to cork1958
said by cork1958:

Nope,
None of the 3 STB's are HD

Cork, thought you got those Pace STBs? Those are HD capable... (on the back, they got ports for HDMI)
Pretty sure Charter doesn't offer anything that isn't HD capable these days.
arbit3r9
Nighthawk RAX80 Arris SB8200 rev4
join:2006-02-08
Dorr, MI

arbit3r9

Yea no reason to give out SD only box's less people ask for it cause old tv. IMO

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to Zappa2000

Premium Member

to Zappa2000
said by Zappa2000:

Cork, thought you got those Pace STBs? Those are HD capable... (on the back, they got ports for HDMI)
Pretty sure Charter doesn't offer anything that isn't HD capable these days

Yep,
That's what I have are those Pace boxes, but all my tv's are old. Have 3 tv's just setting around collecting dust plus the 3 currently in use. Heck, one floor stand Curtis Mathes tv has nothing more than a cable inlet and that's it.

Actually, the tv in bedroom may have, but I don't think so, a HDMI connection, but I didn't even mess with it! I NEVER watch that tv anyway and wife just has it on for the noise when she goes to bed.

My kid does have a tv that is HD capable, but didn't mess with that either on his, when connecting them up. He doesn't watch much tv either.

Like I've said a million times on here, if it wasn't for the wife and kid, I probably wouldn't even own a tv with all the worthless crap there is on it!