Search similar:

uniqs

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to OpTiC

to OpTiC

Re: [Speed] blast and extreme possible upload changes

Dont want to go off topic here but why is it so much harder to get fast upload speeds as opposed to download. If copper wire (coax) can handle download speeds of over 150 mbps then why not upload ?
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

videomatic3

yea the website got fixed i guess it really was just a typo, i had my hopes up, oh well.
its harder to get upload speeds because the system isnt designed for upload, they only allowed like what, 42mhz of bandwidth for upload and everything else can be used for download
sure it is easy to provide just as good upload speeds but at the time the specs were made there is more demand for download
and it seems to be the same way for docsis 3.1, but now they will allow up to 200mhz or something for upload if the cable carrier chooses to use it

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I read the specs on the SB6121 »www.secable.com/S_pdf/SB ··· heet.pdf and for upload it says for upload the max channel rate is 131.072 Mbps (4 channels) / 32.768 Mbps (single channel):
@ 128 QAM at 6.4 MHz
So I wonder if 50 or more up isn't so farfetched. I mean currently I have only three bonded up channels and only getting 12Mbps up so clearly either something is being mismanaged or there's a lot of potential that isn't being utilized. I'm just saying that technically it's possible to get more upload speeds with 4x4 modems.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to Jim721

MVM

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Dont want to go off topic here but why is it so much harder to get fast upload speeds as opposed to download. If copper wire (coax) can handle download speeds of over 150 mbps then why not upload ?

said by videomatic3:

its harder to get upload speeds because the system isnt designed for upload, they only allowed like what, 42mhz of bandwidth for upload and everything else can be used for download
sure it is easy to provide just as good upload speeds but at the time the specs were made there is more demand for download
and it seems to be the same way for docsis 3.1, but now they will allow up to 200mhz or something for upload if the cable carrier chooses to use it

Yes, the difference between the download and upload speeds that can be obtained on cable systems is basically due to the asymmetrical bandwidths and SNRs of the downstream (or "forward") path vs. the upstream (or "reverse") path.

Because of the original broadcast TV channel assignments in the US, the upstream path from the customer back to the cable headend has been limited to between 5 to 42 MHz and was originally used to just handle low-speed upstream communications from the STBs.

This bandwidth-limited, low-frequency, upstream path is also susceptible to an number of impairments, such as impulse noise and the "ingress" of interfering signals into the system, resulting in SNRs that are typically 6 dB or more worse than those obtained on the downstream path. This requires the use of lower-order modulations that can tolerate these lower SNRs, like 16- or 64-QAM (vs. 256-QAM in the downstream), further restricting the upload speeds that can be achieved.

However, like videomatic3 See Profile said, the use of the new DOCSIS 3.1 standard will provide higher upload speeds: »[DOCSIS] What is docsis 3.1?
mcdonsco
join:2014-11-18

mcdonsco to videomatic3

to videomatic3
I'm currently dealing with Comcast on this EXACT issue.

I looked up their pricing and saw 105mbps down and 50mbps up for $44.99 - Called and setup service, they came out today...10mb up...I looked on their site again, it NOW says 10mb up.

Waiting to YET AGAIN speak to a supervisor on this.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

And what do you expect him to say?
doughnet
join:2002-03-22
Newark, CA

doughnet to videomatic3

to videomatic3
checked myself and it says 105/10 & 150/20

unfortunately, not looking like those upgrades rolling out in norcal (94560)

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to mcdonsco

Premium Member

to mcdonsco
said by mcdonsco:

I looked up their pricing and saw 105mbps down and 50mbps up for $44.99 - Called and setup service, they came out today...10mb up...I looked on their site again, it NOW says 10mb up.

Actually it's your fault for one you wasted Comcast time for them to setup service & etc... knowing damn well it was a pricing error on there end.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

said by iNick:

said by mcdonsco:

Actually it's your fault for one you wasted Comcast time for them to setup service & etc... knowing damn well it was a pricing error on there end.

I highly doubt one person complaining to a supervisor is going to cause Comcast to be like "oh shoot we made a typo on our website and misled someone, so we're going to increase our upload speeds for everyone to make it right"

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

said by iNick:

said by mcdonsco:

I highly doubt one person complaining to a supervisor is going to cause Comcast to be like "oh shoot we made a typo on our website and misled someone, so we're going to increase our upload speeds for everyone to make it right"

Exactly my point.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

said by iNick:

Exactly my point.

I know.
doughnet
join:2002-03-22
Newark, CA

doughnet to videomatic3

to videomatic3
any update on this? i'd be so happy with a speed upgrade. it sucks that I live 30 miles away from my buddy who gets 1gbit up/down FTTH for cheap but I'm stuck with damn comcast.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Maybe he's looking for a roommate? I feel your pain. Verizon FiOS did a majority of the town next to me then just stopped because apparently my town isn't worthy.
mcdonsco
join:2014-11-18

mcdonsco to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
So, in you're infinite wisdom you're saying people should just shut up and not complain?

Work for Comcast?
mcdonsco

mcdonsco to iNick

to iNick
IT WAS STATED ON THEIR SITE and why on earth would you say "knowing damn well it was a pricing error"??? How in the HELL was I supposed to know that?

I do NOT understand trolls like you...I WASTED THEIR TIME? I ORDERED WHAT WAS LISTED ON THEIR SITE! THEY WASTED MY TIME.

Get a freakin' clue.

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

1 edit

iNick

Premium Member

said by mcdonsco:

IT WAS STATED ON THEIR SITE and why on earth would you say "knowing damn well it was a pricing error"??? How in the HELL was I supposed to know that?

I do NOT understand trolls like you...I WASTED THEIR TIME? I ORDERED WHAT WAS LISTED ON THEIR SITE! THEY WASTED MY TIME.

Get a freakin' clue.

I'm not a troll LOL. So one or two area's shows a change in upload speed but nowhere else shows it. You would think Comcast would of made some kind of an announcement on this, but they didn't because it's was a error on there website and you knew it but didn't care so you ordered it anyway.

Edit: You wasted there time by having them come out to install the internet knowing it was a Upload error on the site.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to mcdonsco

to mcdonsco
lol . What I'm saying is that if you think talking to the supervisor is going to be fruitful, it'll be a waste of time. The supervisor has no control over Internet speeds. Simply put it was a screwup on the website and their ain't nothing anyone can do about changing that until Comcast corporate makes the decision, and no matter how many people complain about it and don't like that, that'll never change. People can cancel their service and rant and rave on social media all they want but there'll always be more new customers coming in to make up whatever losses there are due to the monopoly of having no other alternative in many markets. In other words one person complaining to a supervisor is not going to change the minds of a mega conglomerate like Comcast, but go ahead and I wish you good luck, more power to you, I pray I'm wrong (because then I'll have it too), just don't get your hopes up when Comcast doesn't honor a mistake on their website which has since been corrected. Comcast has so much self imposed miscommunication within its own company that if the customer was mislead there is a good chance it was a honest mistake on the local level.
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

videomatic3 to iNick

to iNick
Doesn't comcast have a 30 day money back guarantee?