vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

Re: SSD suggestions?

fwiw: update: rant: I plugged in the SSD and using the Dell provided reinstallation DVD did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro. The network HW drivers weren't installed. The driver install DVD from Dell failed to load the drivers. Booted the old HDD to get the network drivers so I could connected to the net. Then installed 150+ Windows updates. Windows then told me my Windows wasn't valid. Contact Dell support. They are going to send a TS person with a Dell Direct USB key (DUSB) and a new motherboard to fix what ails me. This will be the second time Dell has visited to fix this XPS workstation. I've had this boat anchor for 2 months. /rant

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

A new mobo? LOL. How about just contacting MS and revalidating the key?

Thanks for the reminder that I never, ever want a pre-built/OEM computer.

What a waste of money and time on Dell's part.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

I totally agree.
said by vaxvms:

fwiw: update: rant: I plugged in the SSD and using the Dell provided reinstallation DVD did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro. The network HW drivers weren't installed. The driver install DVD from Dell failed to load the drivers. Booted the old HDD to get the network drivers so I could connected to the net. Then installed 150+ Windows updates. Windows then told me my Windows wasn't valid. Contact Dell support. They are going to send a TS person with a Dell Direct USB key (DUSB) and a new motherboard to fix what ails me. This will be the second time Dell has visited to fix this XPS workstation. I've had this boat anchor for 2 months. /rant

I've got the Dell Latitude E6510 and never ran into any issues when I installed an SSD drive on it.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

Maybe Microsoft is the cause of my latest problem with this boat anchor. »Microsoft pulls update; causes problems on Win7

Time to go looking for a DEC PDP on ebay. I know how those work. And I'm very familiar with RT-11 and RSX. And there's no need for an AV.
RouterRooter
join:2001-11-22
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

RouterRooter

Um, a real man would be looking for a S/360 Model 75 with MVT. And program it in assembler language. Hey, it got Apollo to the moon ...
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by RouterRooter:

Um, a real man would be looking for a S/360 Model 75 with MVT. And program it in assembler language.

Not a real man that uses vaxvms as his username.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

I hate Dell and all the excrement that propels it and ignorance that it promotes.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

They're better than HP, but not that much better.