dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
a9
join:2005-04-10

a9

Does TekSaavy (in BC) shape your traffic?

I torrent a lot.
Plan on switching from Shaw to TekSaavy. Shaw has given me terrible pings for games and they are shaping all of my torrent traffic.

I am wondering what TekSaavy's practices are like.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

TekSavvy doesn't shape any traffic.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TSI Andre:

TekSavvy doesn't shape any traffic.

But does Shaw throttle TSI torrent traffic, like Bell used to throttle all of its wholesale ISP's.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

I do not believe so.
Dmole
join:2008-07-11

Dmole to a9

to a9
I used to have Bell shape my TSI traffic so I set up MLPPP on a single connection and that prevented Bell from shaping my traffic.

crowbarone
join:2014-01-31
Scarborough, ON

crowbarone

MLPPP is no longer needed

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to a9

to a9
Open a ticket with Teksavvy and ask them to have a look. Your node is probably congested which would explain lousy pings and speeds.
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

1 edit

DigitalRain

said by MacGyver:

Open a ticket with Teksavvy and ask them to have a look. Your node is probably congested which would explain lousy pings and speeds.

The OP is currently with Shaw and intends on switching to TekSavvy.

Congestion at the node level is always a possibility, and switching to TSI won't do a thing about that. If the problems are at the node level, you would likely notice worse performance during peak hours, as well as poor results on baseline diagnostics such as speed testing to a nearby server or pinging Google.

Conversely, although TSI does not operate Shaw's last mile, they, and not Shaw, will take care of transit and peering once the traffic reaches their network. Other topics here have shown that TSI is generally superior to Shaw in this respect.

So with all things being equal, the OP will likely have better gaming and torrent performance with TSI if the issue relates to Shaw's lousy peering or to traffic shaping (which Shaw is not permitted to do for TPIA csble). OTOH, switching will not help with node congestion and will only help with physical line issues insofar as Shaw's line tech is able to perform a quality install.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to a9

to a9
Have you thought about TSI West DSL (tDSL / Telus last mile)? The only current drawback is TekSavvy has yet to offer 50Mb DSL, but the AB and BC folks are clamoring for that higher profile. If your address qualifies for Telus DSL, then you're good to go.

I now have TSI West Cable (sCable / Shaw last mile), but I had TSI's DSL before and it was rock solid. I switched because at the time the price point was a little better and TekSavvy offered me a beta opportunity (merci Martin). I've rarely has problems with TSI sCable.
a9
join:2005-04-10

a9

With all this in mind, maybe I should opt for the DSL service over the cable? (I'm located in Surrey)