uniqs

Norwegian_NC
@75.110.61.x

Norwegian_NC to gatorkram

Anon

to gatorkram

Re: **** FREE SPEED UPGRADES ****

said by gatorkram:

I'd pick up a 3.0 modem. Expect support for 2.0 or less to disappear soon.

You have a lot of choices, old 4x4 or newer 8x4 and spanking new 16x4

Get the most you can afford, IMO.

I am in Winterville. (half a mile behind Lowe's)

Just spoke with a neighbor who has a new Motorola SB6121. He bought it in anticipation of the speed upgrade. His speed remains the same old 15mbps, no matter how many times he has rebooted the modem.

Does the speed upgrade require a call to Suddenlink tech support? Or has our neighborhood not been upgraded yet?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Im in Sterling Pointe, I'd guess on the same node as yours. We have NOT been upgraded yet. Should be soon. Reminds me of Blizzard "soon, (c) Blizzard Entertainment & Suddenlink"
gatorkram

gatorkram to Norwegian_NC

Premium Member

to Norwegian_NC
said by Norwegian_NC :

said by gatorkram:

I'd pick up a 3.0 modem. Expect support for 2.0 or less to disappear soon.

You have a lot of choices, old 4x4 or newer 8x4 and spanking new 16x4

Get the most you can afford, IMO.

I am in Winterville. (half a mile behind Lowe's)

Just spoke with a neighbor who has a new Motorola SB6121. He bought it in anticipation of the speed upgrade. His speed remains the same old 15mbps, no matter how many times he has rebooted the modem.

Does the speed upgrade require a call to Suddenlink tech support? Or has our neighborhood not been upgraded yet?

Also remember, the sb6121 is one of the older 4x4 modems, but way better than any 2.0 or 1.1 modem.

Norwegian_NC
@75.110.61.x

Norwegian_NC

Anon

Also remember, the sb6121 is one of the older 4x4 modems, but way better than any 2.0 or 1.1 modem.

What modem would you recommend? I'd prefer not to spend more than $80 to $100.

Thanks!
Moonpie1
Premium Member
join:2010-12-24
Eastern NC

Moonpie1 to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram
I have MAX 107 and I was told a few days ago via chat that I would not be getting a speed upgrade over here in Robersonville. Maybe the rep was not fully aware of the upgrade situation.

I'm also a VIP and I do hope they take good care of us VIPs.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to Norwegian_NC

Premium Member

to Norwegian_NC
said by Norwegian_NC :

SB6141 is a new 8x4 unit for ~$80 retail with warranty. Though you won't need more than a 4x4 if you don't plan on getting anything passed the 50 meg plan.
moldypickle

moldypickle to Moonpie1

Premium Member

to Moonpie1
said by Moonpie1:

I have MAX 107 and I was told a few days ago via chat that I would not be getting a speed upgrade over here in Robersonville. Maybe the rep was not fully aware of the upgrade situation.

I'm also a VIP and I do hope they take good care of us VIPs.

The 107 customers in most markets look to be on hold for the upgrades until they can work out the 150 meg package. When that goes live you should get the upgrade while everyone else stays the same.

Norwegian_NC
@75.110.61.x

Norwegian_NC to moldypickle

Anon

to moldypickle
said by moldypickle:

said by Norwegian_NC :

SB6141 is a new 8x4 unit for ~$80 retail with warranty. Though you won't need more than a 4x4 if you don't plan on getting anything passed the 50 meg plan.

Suddenlink is upgrading 15mbps to 50mbps now.... what if in a couple of years they upgrade 50mbps to 100mbps or more? Will the SB6121 with just 4x4 become useless?
Budman NC
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Greenville, NC

Budman NC to GregoryTV

Premium Member

to GregoryTV
I was upgraded from 30 to 50 about a week ago. My cap is still at 250.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Norwegian_NC

Premium Member

to Norwegian_NC
Math is hard. Get a 6141 or better, trust me. (I have the 6183)
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Still more weird issues with my internet.

They told me the upgrades for the area have been finished since the 18th.

Calling in and talking to support, they say I have 107, because I was at 50 when the upgrade was pushed. That does not compute.

Then they worked some more magic, and said they moved me to the 150 tier, and that everything should be good. Well, its not, everything is the same...

gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Click for full size
hmmm
I think this used to be 350...

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

Premium Member

to Norwegian_NC
said by Norwegian_NC :

Suddenlink is upgrading 15mbps to 50mbps now.... what if in a couple of years they upgrade 50mbps to 100mbps or more? Will the SB6121 with just 4x4 become useless?

Won't be useless, but the modem will have paid for itself by then so the point is moot.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

1 edit

Chubbzie to gatorkram

to gatorkram
Where are the upgrades for subscribers on the 107 plan?
Nyron
join:2007-10-09
Charleston, WV

Nyron to Norwegian_NC

to Norwegian_NC
I agree with the others. I would get a 6141. They are only around 20 dollars more than the 6121 and will be a bit more future proof. Speeds are beginning to jump up quite a bit. Just about 5 years ago the max speed was 12 megs down. They have gigabit plans so it wouldn't shock me if the 50 megs would increase to 100 megs or more in 2016.
adamg
join:2013-03-01

adamg to gatorkram

to gatorkram
here's another 6183 vote. I grabbed one the other day.

Norwegian_NC
@75.110.61.x

Norwegian_NC to moldypickle

Anon

to moldypickle
Will I also need a new router to take advantage of the new 50mbps speed?

My current router is a Linksys WRT54G. The cable modem is connected to it via ethernet cable.
Then the router is connected to my PCs via ethernet cable.
dhudson1984
join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984

Yes, a new Gigabit capable router is a must as well. I still have the ole reliable WRT54G (6-8 years). I am only pulling 50 down with it connected, but am getting the full 7.5 upload. I have the SB6141 modem and it has been flawless!
dhudson1984

dhudson1984

I'm going to be upgrading the router here pretty soon...

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

Premium Member

to Norwegian_NC
said by Norwegian_NC :

Will I also need a new router to take advantage of the new 50mbps speed?

My current router is a Linksys WRT54G. The cable modem is connected to it via ethernet cable.

For the 50 meg package, that router will be fine. You won't reach full speed on the wireless portion, but it would be close. Wired connections would have no problem. Replacing the unit would be your call with that plan, but you won't NEED to replace it since your connection is stated as wired.
moldypickle

moldypickle to adamg

Premium Member

to adamg
said by adamg:

here's another 6183 vote. I grabbed one the other day.

SB6183 is a good unit, but the price premium makes it hard to recommend to anyone with no intention of purchasing a 300 meg connection. For HALF the price, any of the 8x4 modems will easily cover any of the plans up to 150 megs. Then in another 2 years time there will be several waves of new modems out, including the Doc3.1 units, which will make an early jump on a 6183 for a low speed tier a simple waste of money.
piratefan2
join:2005-11-15
Ayden, NC

piratefan2 to moldypickle

to moldypickle
My folks got the 50M service installed yesterday. They have a WRT54G. Got the full speed on a wired connection. On WIFI, never cracked 25M. Tested it with a new laptop, an iPhone 5s, an iPad Air 2, and a cheap Motorola phone. I even switched it out with a single-band wireless-N router and got similar results.

I'm ordering them a dual-band N router today.
adamg
join:2013-03-01

adamg to moldypickle

to moldypickle
actually, even the 4x4 modems can handle 150 meg. My old Arris 4x4 hit full speed when i switched over. I went ahead and got the 6183 in hopes that 300 meg and beyond will be here shortly.

Box Systems
@173.217.146.x

Box Systems

Anon

In a lot of cases, especially if you have recently purchased a new modem you must call in or online chat with tech support if simply unplugging your modem is not working. In a lot of cases they need to reenter the mac address etc.... then reset your modem on their side.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

moldypickle to adamg

Premium Member

to adamg
said by adamg:

actually, even the 4x4 modems can handle 150 meg. My old Arris 4x4 hit full speed when i switched over. I went ahead and got the 6183 in hopes that 300 meg and beyond will be here shortly.

sdl3tech had come on one of these threads and mentioned that with SL, they are using 36 megs per channel. Why I mentioned you'd need an 8x4 for 150.
moldypickle

moldypickle to piratefan2

Premium Member

to piratefan2
said by piratefan2:

My folks got the 50M service installed yesterday. They have a WRT54G. Got the full speed on a wired connection. On WIFI, never cracked 25M. Tested it with a new laptop, an iPhone 5s, an iPad Air 2, and a cheap Motorola phone. I even switched it out with a single-band wireless-N router and got similar results.

I'm ordering them a dual-band N router today.

Not really surprising about 802G, but 802N goes far faster. If you were seeing the same speeds then they just means you were still connecting at 802G speeds. You have a configuration problem, OR you have your network in mixed mode and you have some slower devices connecting.

I also have no idea why you feel the need to order a dual band router. Dual band simply means you'll be able to use 802N in the 5 Ghz spectrum, assuming any of your devices works with 5 Ghz.

Norwegian_NC
@75.110.61.x

Norwegian_NC to gatorkram

Anon

to gatorkram
said by gatorkram:

I think this used to be 350...

I spoke with two different Suddenlink tech support guys today.
Both insist that my neighborhood has been upgraded to 50mbps
as of 12/18. (near intersection of Davenport Farm and Thomas
Langston) Guess I need to go out and buy a new modem ASAP!
AricBrown
join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX

AricBrown to gatorkram

to gatorkram
Well I just went down and stood in a long line to upgrade my plan from the 30 to the 50. I tried online but the guy said it would add 20 to my bill. The lady at the suddenlink place said it would be an increase of 5. So I am on the 50 now so I should then be bump up to the next tier when it rolls out.

But in Amarillo she said it was looking like Jan 18th would be the roll out date for the "Operation GigaSpeed" here. So I figure it would be around then for the free upgrade in speed.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram
If there are speed upgrades in the area are you automatically upgrade or do you have to ask them to upgrade you?
Lindsey
join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV

Lindsey to gatorkram

to gatorkram
still nothing here in gypsy wv