spc
Search similar:

uniqs

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Legal Pressure

It is funny how a little legal pressure can cause the miraculous discovery of a fix for many problems. Sort of like GM and their ignition lock fiasco. They had a fix but it wasn't until legal pressure was brought to bear that it became well known.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I think it has to do more with SMS routing at the carrier level but the carrier is immunized from lawsuits through their arbitration clauses.

Anyways when you decommission an iPhone you should turn off find my iphone, iMessage, and all of that stuff before you wipe the device.

The lawsuit is frivolous. Too bad Apple doesn't have forced Arbitration in their terms of use.
desarollo
join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

desarollo

No! iMessage has no carrier interactions as if they had a way to default to use Whatsapp. The message travels over IP. The issue is that after your recipient went to Android, your texts, if started in iMessage AND you didn't tell your phone to use SMS as a back-up, would just keep sending the messages to the iPhone switcher via iMessage where they would be spooled until they showed back-up on the network. If they had no other devices on iMessage, they would never see them.

I have gone through this with a number of people (telling how many of my friends have gone to Android) and the solution is to wipe any current text windows for that contact, the sender must make sure "Send as SMS" is checked in Settings->Messages and open a new text session using their cell number. Or now, the ex-iPhone user can use the web tool.

Where Apple mucked up (I think) is their aggressive turning OFF of "Send as SMS" because that was definitely turned off on all my IOS 7 and 8 updates just as they kept turning bluetooth back on.

Irony we're now talking "switching" in the context of the iPhone; ol' PC must be laughing.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I think it has to do more with SMS routing at the carrier level

Wrong, Apple's software hijacks the SMSs before it gets to the carrier - the carrier never even sees the message and thus there is nothing the carrier can do about it.
said by IowaCowboy:

The lawsuit is frivolous. Too bad Apple doesn't have forced Arbitration in their terms of use.

So it's ok for Apple to use anti-competitive, strong-arm tactics to prevent users from switching from their products, and a lawsuit to get them back in line is "frivolous" ? Seriously? Apple's in the wrong here 100% and I hope they pay dearly for this.

/M