spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lmacmil
join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

lmacmil

Wireless printer connection question

I have a Canon Pixma printer. It has been connected to my PC via USB cable and my PC has a wired connection to my router. I wanted to be able to print from other devices so I unplugged the USB cable and connected the printer to my router via wireless. The router sees the printer but I cannot print from my attached PC. It says the printer is offline. Is this because my PC is still using a wired network connection? I successfully sent a print job from my phone.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

What make/model router are you using? Does the wireless side of the router use different subnet from the LAN side? This is usually done to provide isolation/security of the lan side from possibly rogue wifi clients and would explain why your computer can't see the printer.
lmacmil
South Bend, IN

lmacmil

said by aguen:

What make/model router are you using? Does the wireless side of the router use different subnet from the LAN side?

It's the Comcast eMTA, the Arris TG862g. Don't know if the wireless subnet is different from the LAN side. I see the LAN subnet in the connection status page but I can't find the wireless subnet.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to lmacmil

Premium Member

to lmacmil
I think you probably identified the problem correctly in your original thread. You need to reconfigure the setup of the printer on your computer. It's still looking for the USB connection instead of the wireless connection. I'm not familiar with the Canon software but on my HP you have to go back into the printer setup routine and have a look for the printer on the wireless network.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to lmacmil

to lmacmil
Looks like you can use the USB connection to configure the wireless connection. Using the CD that came with the printer and these instructions

»www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/a ··· gUSB.pdf

If you don't have the CD, please reply with printer model number and I can link to download.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to lmacmil

MVM

to lmacmil
Just add a new printer. Pick network printer. Delete old usb printer or at least make the network printer be the default.
lmacmil
South Bend, IN

lmacmil to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

You need to reconfigure the setup of the printer on your computer.

That worked thanks.
lmacmil

lmacmil to beck

to beck
said by beck:

Just add a new printer.

That was the solution. Thanks.