Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

my dell dimension 8400 will not turn on

I used Google to find more info, and I found »en.community.dell.com/su ··· 19315874

However in my case, the light on the motherboard will not light up.

So if anyone could help me that would be great.

Thank you

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

1 recommendation

what the

Might help, maybe not.
»pcsupport.about.com/od/f ··· topc.htm

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm
Sounds like a failed power supply, especially since you're not getting a light on the motherboard.

I'd recommend trying known good power with a known good power cable before replacing the power supply.
Scilicet (banned)
Spaced Out
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO

Scilicet (banned) to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
So what happens if you put the RAM that you replaced back in?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Scilicet:

So what happens if you put the RAM that you replaced back in?

Unlike that other poster in that other thread: All I did was take out only the TV card and put in another NIC.
Scilicet (banned)
Spaced Out
Aurora, CO

Scilicet (banned)

Process of elimination. Try removing what cards that you can and see if the board will power up. If it does, replace one board at a time. Don't plug or unplug boards with the power on. Personally, I don't care for Dell one bit.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Scilicet:

Process of elimination. Try removing what cards that you can and see if the board will power up. If it does, replace one board at a time. Don't plug or unplug boards with the power on. Personally, I don't care for Dell one bit.

Good points, but one major failure.

As I said, but now re-wording:

There is a light on the motherboard that is to light up if the computer is plugged in even if the computer is not on, that light is not going on, I sure that the computer is plugged in and I sure that it should be receiving power (ie/ex: Light/Lap test direct to wall/bypassing all surge protectors, ETC...).
aefstoggaflm

aefstoggaflm to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

Sounds like a failed power supply, especially since you're not getting a light on the motherboard.

I'd recommend trying known good power with a known good power cable before replacing the power supply.

I am just wonder, why it would be that?

From the post before you posted, the link says something about the CMOS battery.

And before I took out the TV card and put in a NIC: Before I removed power/unplugged it, the light on the mother board was lit.
Scilicet (banned)
Spaced Out
Aurora, CO

Scilicet (banned) to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
I would not recommend that you base your entire troubleshooting on the condition of one LED. Try removing the suspected cards and RAM and see if your light comes on.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

1 recommendation

asdfdfdfdfdf to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
If it worked and you had lights etc. before you made a card change and now you don't then the first thing to do is to remove the new card and return things to the way they were before. If that doesn't fix it and the system is completely dead, no lights, no fan or hard drive spinning etc. then the power supply is the main and first suspect.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

norwegian to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm

NIC?
I found on an old MSI board, if the LAN cable was connected it wouldn't boot.
As others have mentioned, pull all the extra components off the board including memory and see if you can at least see it try to boot and give no memory error beeps from bios.

Also when you added those parts did you make sure you touched the case before the board to discharge any static?
A flat cmos battery will still load the bios start screen but ask to load defaults as the battery only backs up the cmos/bios settings and no more.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

NIC?
I found on an old MSI board, if the LAN cable was connected it wouldn't boot.
As others have mentioned, pull all the extra components off the board including memory and see if you can at least see it try to boot and give no memory error beeps from bios.

Ok, I will.
said by norwegian:

Also when you added those parts did you make sure you touched the case before the board to discharge any static?

As far as I know, yes I did.
said by norwegian:

A flat cmos battery will still load the bios start screen but ask to load defaults as the battery only backs up the cmos/bios settings and no more.

Very interesting.
aefstoggaflm

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Update to all.

It was the power supply.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Glad you got it fixed.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

1 recommendation

asdfdfdfdfdf to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
Thanks for the update. Hope you were able to get everything resolved with a minimum of fuss and cost.