All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
acillatem
join:2011-04-21
U.S.A.

acillatem

What "should" I expect for upload speed on Elite?

I have U-verse Elite internet only. It's actually IPDSLAM in my town, but whatever. It's been fairly stable the last couple years, but the other day I started having huge latency issues, which "seems" to have solved it, but a tech is coming out today. They also put back to fastpath. My download is about half of what it normally is, at about 0.35, give or take. My download is actually coming in at around 6.5mbps, but my upload has taken a drop. I read that it should be about 10 percent of download, is that true?

Thanks in advance.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Upload isn't always 10% of download, but on ADSL2+ Elite should have speeds of about 7.5 Mbps download and about .7 or .8 ish upload I think.
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

said by Darknessfall:

Upload isn't always 10% of download, but on ADSL2+ Elite should have speeds of about 7.5 Mbps download and about .7 or .8 ish upload I think.

I'm only getting about 0.35 right now. Download speeds are good. A tech was here today, said there were no issues on the line, and he swapped out the modem, just because.

He said maybe my upload is a little lower because technically, the cutoff for 6mbps is 9,000 feet, and I'm at 10,700, but it seems to be working well, and has for a few years.

I hear sooo many different theories, I just don't know anymore.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Can you post your line stats?

madbear
join:2000-09-03
Veedersburg, IN

madbear to acillatem

to acillatem
I've been having a similar problem here in Indiana - my ipdslam Elite service had been running at about 5.2 Mbps Download/.71 Mbps Upload, but for the past month or so, my upload speeds have dropped to between .35 - .41, while download speeds have held steady.

I dread having to call about it, because I doubt I'll reach anyone that has any real knowledge of what's happening. I've already tried another modem... Who did you report your problem to?

Thanks
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

said by madbear:

I've been having a similar problem here in Indiana - my ipdslam Elite service had been running at about 5.2 Mbps Download/.71 Mbps Upload, but for the past month or so, my upload speeds have dropped to between .35 - .41, while download speeds have held steady.

I dread having to call about it, because I doubt I'll reach anyone that has any real knowledge of what's happening. I've already tried another modem... Who did you report your problem to?

Thanks

I emailed attcustomercare@att.com

I know full well the circus it can be when calling, trust me.

madbear
Veedersburg, IN

madbear

Thanks.

I'll deal with it next week, and if I get any useful solution, I'll post it.
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

said by madbear:

Thanks.

I'll deal with it next week, and if I get any useful solution, I'll post it.

Same here. A few years ago, I had over 20 techs at my house over a 5 month stretch, trying to get my service to stop dropping out. They finally did it, but what a complete joke it was, to take that long. When my promo contract was up recently, I almost switched to Comcast, but they gave me another promotion, so I stayed. In their defense, it has been pretty stable, and trouble free, until this recent issue. The upload is a joke, that is for sure.
acillatem

acillatem to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

This is about all I can get out of the NVG510. It's not like the 2WIRE, that's for sure.
Hope this helps.

madbear
Veedersburg, IN

madbear to acillatem

to acillatem
Familiar story -

When I first moved back here, HughesNet was my only option, so I was glad to be able to have DSL again. Worked fine for a few years; whenever there were problems, the local guys could get it going quickly. Then they retired, and noone they've had working this area since has been too effective at resolving problems. I've gone through long spells of relatively slow download speeds (~3.89-4.20; I've been told that I'm the farthest out from the CO they'll service), but for the last year it seemed that things had been improved, until this upload problem.

Still better than HughesNet

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to acillatem

Premium Member

to acillatem
said by acillatem:

said by Darknessfall:

This is about all I can get out of the NVG510. It's not like the 2WIRE, that's for sure.
Hope this helps.

Well, according to your line stats, your downstream SN margin is a little bleh, but you seem to be provisioned to receive the correct speeds.

Your line is providing the right speeds. So, are you sure there's nothing in the background running using up upload and have you tried different servers?
acillatem
U.S.A.

1 edit

acillatem

said by Darknessfall:

said by acillatem:

said by Darknessfall:

Hope this helps.

Well, according to your line stats, your downstream SN margin is a little bleh, but you seem to be provisioned to receive the correct speeds.

Your line is providing the right speeds. So, are you sure there's nothing in the background running using up upload and have you tried different servers?

Yep.....have tried several different servers. No matter what the latency or download speeds are, good or bad, my upload is always right around 0.35, give or take. Nothing running in the background.

hyphenated
@166.137.10.x

hyphenated to acillatem

Anon

to acillatem
Don't expect much of anything from upload on, well, pretty much any kind of ADSL.
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

said by hyphenated :

Don't expect much of anything from upload on, well, pretty much any kind of ADSL.

Well....it has been around 0.65 to 0.70. Until lately, that is. AT&T just sucks, that's all. After this promotion, it's Comcast for me.

hyphenated
@166.137.10.x

hyphenated

Anon

Chances are it will return to normal. Att is cool I think hq plays marketing too much sometimes.

Your attenuation is pretty high, kinda surprised to see 6 meg on that.

A while back my throughput dropped significantly for a few days or so but it's pretty l much been solid I think with all the changes and updates to their services there's just about no way around it.
hyphenated

hyphenated to acillatem

Anon

to acillatem
You should stick with interleaving instead of fast, it will help. It adds a -little- extra latency to your connection but helps it to maintain more reliable sync, error correction.
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

said by hyphenated :

You should stick with interleaving instead of fast, it will help. It adds a -little- extra latency to your connection but helps it to maintain more reliable sync, error correction.

Yeah, but it works pretty well on fastpath, and besides, my upload sucked just as much on interleaved.

hyphenated
@12.23.231.x

hyphenated

Anon

If you say so.
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

said by hyphenated :

If you say so.

It's been that way for a couple years, so yeah, I base my reply on experience.

The u-verse customer service person just emailed, and said they can hopefully fix the upload situation by "bouncing" the port, or just swapping it, with an outside tech.

Seeing is believing, I guess.

hyphenated
@107.77.68.x

hyphenated

Anon

Glad to know your getting resolved. My suggestion was based on my personal experience, with those stats it would be more reliable on an interleaved setting.
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

I understand that, but it has no affect on the upload speeds.

They "bounced" the port today, whatever the hell that is, and it did nothing. AT&T just sucks, that's all their is to it. I should have went with Comcast when my promotion was up, next time I will.

I went through this crap with them a few years ago. A 5 month stretch with over 20 techs coming to my house, before one guy fixed the problem. It was actually losing sync, a lot.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Try factory resetting your gateway. It's something with your gateway or in your home. Your line isn't that great, but you're syncing at the proper speeds. Your gateway is saying that you're getting the proper upload, but somehow it's going poof between it and your device.
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

said by Darknessfall:

Try factory resetting your gateway. It's something with your gateway or in your home. Your line isn't that great, but you're syncing at the proper speeds. Your gateway is saying that you're getting the proper upload, but somehow it's going poof between it and your device.

I did that last week when I was on the phone with AT&T, and it didn't change anything. Of course, they swapped the modem the other day, and then "bounced" the port today, whatever that means. So you think it's between my modem and computer? Shouldn't the "tech" that was here been able to determine that?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by acillatem:

said by Darknessfall:

I did that last week when I was on the phone with AT&T, and it didn't change anything. Of course, they swapped the modem the other day, and then "bounced" the port today, whatever that means. So you think it's between my modem and computer? Shouldn't the "tech" that was here been able to determine that?

Well, your issue is pretty odd. Have you tried to see if they can re-provision your modem or something?

You're not using another router behind the NVG510, right?
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

Nope...just the NVG510.
And for whatever it's worth, I get essentially the same results with my laptop, with wifi. But the results I have been posting about are on a hardwired desktop.
acillatem

acillatem

Just did one again with my laptop.
13ms ping, 5.52 down, 0.38 up

Pretty much exactly the same as my hardwired desktop.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by acillatem:

Just did one again with my laptop.
13ms ping, 5.52 down, 0.38 up

Pretty much exactly the same as my hardwired desktop.

Your upload reminds me of what I think Pro ADSL2+ upload speeds look like.
acillatem
U.S.A.

acillatem

Yeah, it should be about twice what it is.
acillatem

acillatem

Click for full size
They just emailed, and said they were going to try putting it on interleave, which I knew wouldn't solve the issue, and the next step would be changing the port.
Eight speed tests, all on eight different servers, and upload didn't change. Latency went up a bit, download is consistent, and a little over the advertised speed, but upload is still the same.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 19679042
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 19683576
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 19686536

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 19689414
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 19692440

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 19695546
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 19698522
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 19704235
acillatem

acillatem

Here is the email I got back from the U-verse "customer care":

I spoke to two peers familiar with upload issues and your specific setup for U-verse as it is not a common issue we see. I also contacted my boss who is our go-to for items like this. All parties informed me that there is nothing we can do regarding this and it is working normally. I can get someone out to change our the port to see if that helps, if not, there is not too much we can do after that. I know this is not what you wanted to read, but I wanted to be honest with my findings.

ChrisZ ATT U-verse Social Media Manager

AT&T is a complete joke.