spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Spork3245
join:2014-11-12
Florence, NJ

Spork3245

[X1-X2] Issue with multiple X1 platform DVRs

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, new to the forums and am desperate for help!

I have TWO X1 DVRs in my house (not companion boxes!). Basically, I take care of my father and he lives with me and my gf, he keeps a DVR in his office that I set-up for him and I keep one downstairs in my family room. He records a lot of shows I don't like and vice-versa, also I often watch "recordings in progress" and he does the same so swapping out to satellite/companion boxes is not a viable option. (I really don't want to debate any of this, just stating it to avoid the "solution" being proposed )

About 3 weeks ago now there was an update for the X1 system, ever since then scheduled series will only record on a single box, before that it's been working fine. Comcast has sent two technicians out and none of them are able to fix it not to mention the countless hours I've spent on the phone with them. I've tried unplugging both boxes as well as holding the power buttons down for 10 seconds. All that seems to do is "switch" which box is actually doing the recordings (whichever box finishes booting first gets the recordings apparently). I'm certainly being billed for two DVRs btw.

Does anyone here have experience with this issue? Is there any solution? Again, it was running fine until approximately the week of Halloween.

Thank you!

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

[X1-X2] Re: Issue with multiple X1 platform DVRs

Yes, that new feature is called "Whole Home Scheduling" and for customers with two or more X1 DVRs, it merges their recording schedules into a single list of recordings and assigns recordings to DVRs based on tuner availability and storage capacity.

Like you, not everyone is happy about it. You might be able to disable it by using "MoCA" filters.

See this thread in the Comcast Support forum:

whole home scheduling for multiple DVRs
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· /2360633
Spork3245
Florence, NJ

Spork3245

Well, here's the issue I'm having; The DVRs do not communicate with one another. Meaning, if a show records on my father's I can not watch it on mine and vice versa (it doesn't even show up). If the DVRs communicated with one another and allowed me to watch what recorded on his and all that I honestly wouldn't be bothered by it as it'd just double the storage capacity
Spork3245

Spork3245

OH DEAR GOD!
I started skimming through that thread and it sounds like Comcast has a "MoCa filter" installed on one of my boxes or the line coming in the house to stop the boxes from communicating with each other. It sounds like all that needs to be done, if this filter is indeed in place, is for the filter to be removed and the boxes will communicate with each other and work fine.
Two comcast technicians being sent out and 7+ phone calls with reps and tech support and they had no idea how to fix it, one post on a forum and there's now hope.

*sigh* Comcast... *smh*
Spork3245

Spork3245

Hey does anyone know what a moca filter looks like and/or how to remove it, where it would be, etc? From what I'm reading I can do it myself but have no idea what to look for. It seems as though both of my DVR boxes just have a cable line going in without any accessories.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Spork3245:

Hey does anyone know what a moca filter looks like and/or how to remove it, where it would be, etc?

They normally look something like this. They are also known as PoE (Point of Entry) filters, as they are usually placed where the cable first comes into a home, to prevent the MoCA signals from escaping the home. However, the filter could also be built into the ground block, first splitter or amp.
Spork3245
Florence, NJ

Spork3245

Awesome, thank you!
Since I can't seem to figure out where this thing is I suppose it's best to call comcast to send a technician out?

Thanks again!