spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

[Electrical] GFCI and surge protector in garage?

I have my detached garage wired up and it has GFCI's in it. I think because of code the line that is running to the garage has the first outlet as a GFCI and then another line runs from that outlet and it does not have a GFCI but a regular looking outlet (too lazy to go outside and look). They're in metal looking boxes.

I need more outlets available. If I buy something like this, with surge protection, is that an issue with GFCI?
»www.walmart.com/ip/Belki ··· 13073531

Can a surge protector like that be used in 0F temperatures (upstate NY winter is coming...)

Garage is dry.

In addition to what I have in there now plugged in, if I get a garage door opener in the future (2 probably since my garage door is 16'x8'), can I plug the garage door openers into a surge protector (assuming the answer to my above question is a yes)?
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

[Electrical] Re: GFCI and surge protector in garage?

I don't see why not, but you can get a multi-outlet without surge protection if you feel better about it.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I want the surge protection to protect the devices. I just didn't know if it's incompatible with a GFCI or not.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to fartness

MVM

to fartness
If I understand correctly there is a circuit running to your detached garage and in the garage is a GFCI outlet. Assuming the other outlet is wired correctly (to the load side of the GFCI) then it is also protected by the GFCI.

Surge protection and multiple electronic devices can be a problem if the total leakage current becomes too great. But normally it is not a problem.

/tom
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Correct. Garage is on its own circuit. There are two outlets in the garage: one GFCI and one that is not, but the one that is not GFCI is hooked to the GFCI outlet.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to fartness

to fartness

Re: [Electrical] GFCI and surge protector in garage?

It seems to me that a single 15A GFCI outlet in your garage is completely inadequate particularly if you intend a door opener or two in the future. And if you plug that Belkin thing into the GFCI it will interfere with the Test/Reset buttons on the GFCI.

As a temporary measure you should just get an extension cord (with surge if you want though what in yr garage would need surge protection?) to plug-in to the GFCI, but long-term you will need to remodel your wiring to add garage door openers.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

can I plug the garage door openers into a surge protector

I have a Liftmaster garage door opener. Liftmaster recommends and sells a surge protector for their garage door openers so it is OK to plug a garage door opener into a surge protector. On the other hand the electrical characteristics of the MOV's used in a typical surge protector can change characteristics as they age. I had that happen with a GFCI and surge protector I was using. The GFCI began tripping for seemingly no reason. Turns out when I replaced the surge protector the problem was eliminated.

If the GFCI is in the garage and you want to install a garage door opener, unless prohibited by code, you can have an electrician install an outlet bypassing the GFCI, out of reach, near the garage door opener, like up in the ceiling. The key characteristic of the unprotected outlet is that it must be installed OUT OF REACH. If you do not have a separate entrance door to the garage install at least one keyed emergency release in the garage door.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to tomupnorth

to tomupnorth
said by tomupnorth:

It seems to me that a single 15A GFCI outlet in your garage is completely inadequate particularly if you intend a door opener or two in the future. And if you plug that Belkin thing into the GFCI it will interfere with the Test/Reset buttons on the GFCI.

As a temporary measure you should just get an extension cord (with surge if you want though what in yr garage would need surge protection?) to plug-in to the GFCI, but long-term you will need to remodel your wiring to add garage door openers.

garage door openers use like 6 amps, why in the world would he need more power, they are on for 20 seconds at a time,

almost all my family's garages are on 15 amp with 2 openers and we have never tripped out breakers even when running other tools

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to fartness

Mod

to fartness
said by fartness:

if I get a garage door opener in the future (2 probably since my garage door is 16'x8')

As long as you only have one garage door you should only need one opener.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Since it's a two car garage, would it just need one more powerful unit, rather than 2 standard ones?
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

it depends on if it a single door or double, you would just get a more power unit

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to fartness

Mod

to fartness
Number of doors = number of openers
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

Since it's a two car garage, would it just need one more powerful unit

If you have one door you will need one opener. 1/2 Horsepower opener should operate any door as long as it is properly balanced. Required horsepower rating of door opener depends on inertia to overcome, which depends on mass (weight) of door even if it is properly balanced.