join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ to aurgathor

to aurgathor

Re: Smoke/CO alarms: ionization/photoelectric vs. (ion OR photo) + CO

That was my initial thought but mackey See Profile above had a very good point:
said by mackey:

said by cowboyro:

A CO detector would only be useful near a potential source of CO - fuel burning appliance or heater. If you have the detector on the top floor, you could already have deadly within minutes levels in the basement when you get an alarm upstairs

But if the leak is internal to the furnace (say a cracked heat exchanger) the the rest of the house will fill with CO long before the (unheated) basement does. You should have CO detectors both near potential sources and near sleeping areas.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I'd put the CO detector near the likely source(s) or pathway(s) of CO.

The recommendation is to install CO detectors near sleeping quarters; as that when and where most fatal exposures occur - when people are asleep; and don't realize they're showing symptom; or, when they are showing symptoms (headache, naseua, fatigue, etc) where do they go? To bed...

I know what you're saying about putting it near the source; and understand the logic; but your best bang for the buck is still near the bedrooms. As for 'pathways' - CO mixes very evenly with air; so anywhere within the conditioned space of a home should be exposed fairly equally.

FWIW - I have two - one in the main floor hallway by the bedrooms; and one in the basement, just outside the mechanical room.
85281231 (banned)
join:2014-02-01

85281231 (banned)

said by LazMan:

The recommendation is to install CO detectors near sleeping quarters; as that when and where most fatal exposures occur - when people are asleep; and don't realize they're showing symptom; or, when they are showing symptoms (headache, nausea, fatigue, etc) where do they go? To bed...

That's exactly what killed almost an entire family here years ago, their furnace was faulty and filled the house with CO, they "thought" they were all coming down with the flu or a cold so they all went to bed .... something like four of the six humans died. After that EVERYONE wanted a CO detector.