Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

Re: WoD Leveling Progress & Experiences

I've been a fire mage for as long as I can remember. DPS was really bad for me in dungeons and first night of raiding. I switched to frost with very little gear change and my dps went up about 4k. I'm really liking frost but still getting use to optimizing my rotation as I've only done it for a couple days so far.

I'm use to always having bomb up as fire, I find myself refreshing bomb unnecessarily in frost. Some habits are hard to break.

Burst is really good as frost. When I open and burn cooldowns my dps is really high. Then it gets a little depressing watching my name drop down the chart... lol I'm currently at ilevel 629 soon to get some really nice upgrades.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

The guides end up being off from what I use. My DPS went up when I changed some things around. Since I've been playing a frost mage for the entirety of the xpac, I'll share what I do:

Talents: First four are personal preference. Last 3 are required:
Ice Nova
Incanter's Flow (Despite everyone saying this is the worst, I find this one to work the best, as its a boost to all my other damage while being highly mobile. You can also use Mirror Image if you prefer, but it's one more cooldown to manage and the frost mage lives in a sea of cooldowns already).
Thermal Void

All of these are required because frost can also be the most highly mobile class in the game. Depending on how it works, you could end up topping meters using ice lance spam on cleave fights with my build.

Glyphs:
Icy Veins (Seriously, you don't get this, frost is garbage)
Splitting Ice (Same)
Water Elemental (optional)

Smaller Glyphs are garbage.

Single Target Rotation Standing Still:
#1. Icy Veins/Time Warp at the same time unless the fight doesn't allow it.
#2. Ice Lance when Fingers of Frost proc is up. (Max: 2)
#3. Frostfire Bolt when FF proc is up. It's important to clear ice lance procs first because a FF bolt can proc a Fingers of Frost proc and waste the chance for an ice lance proc. Even though your HUD doesn't show it (toolbar will), you can have a max of 2 Brain Freeze procs stored up. Don't cast FFB unless your Fingers of Frost procs are gone.
#4. Water Jet on your Water Elemental to get two stacks of Fingers of Frost. Don't use if you have any FFB/FoF stacks. Two Frostbolts could proc excess/wasted Ice Lance/Frostfire bolt procs if you haven't used them already. Don't put it on auto cast. Just try not to forget about it.
#5. Frozen Orb after a water jet goes off. You don't want these two abilities to overlap.
#6. Ice Nova when you can fit it in. Try not to sit at two stacks. This ability is mega damage. I crit for 60k+ single target on this puppy. I usually open up with this while I get into place. Sitting on 1 stack is ok. Sitting on 2 stacks is not. You generally want to use Ice Nova when the only thing you have left to do is cast a shitty frostbolt or when you need to be mobile.
#7. Frostbolt filler when standing still, Ice Lance filler if moving.

Multi-target
#1. Ice Nova that shit. It's instant meter padding.
#2. Use Pet Ability: Freeze to proc 2 FoF. Ice Lance twice.
#3. Frozen Orb - Spam Ice lance like a mad man.
#3a. If you have an ice nova CD UP while spamming ice lance while frozen orb is out, wait until you have ZERO FoF procs before using Ice lance.
#4. Use Blizzard 4+ targets as filler. Spend the FoF-Ice lance procs when you can. Otherwise, use Frostbolt as filler. If you have Icy veins up, use Ice lance spam as filler no matter what. I may even do Blizzard on fewer targets if I want my Frozen Orb CD up sooner. Remember that when a target gets hit with Blizzard, it reduces the CD of Frozen orb by .5sec for each target hit. 3 targets = 1.5sec per Blizzard tick.

100% mobility build/EL OH FUCKING EL ICE LANCE LOL Build
Archivis Patent Pending. Discovered this one myself.
This build is when you need to be extremely mobile (on bosses, not trash).
This build is also great if you're going to be cleaving all fight. 3 adds is ideal.

#1. ICY VEINS WITH 100% UPTIME FOREVER BABY.
#2. Ice Nova that shit always man.
#3. Water Jet + 2 Ice Floes (if you grabbed that talent) + Frost Bolts. Never ever Frost bolt unless you're using it on water jet.
#4. Frozen Orb when it wont conflict with Water Jet
#5. Spend FrostFire/Ice Lance Procs that will come up after Water Jetting
#6. ICE LANCE LOL ALL FUCKING DAY
This will slowly increase your duration of Icy Veins up to a maximum of 30 seconds causing infinite up time. The only time you should be doing anything other than Ice lance is when you're using water jet, ice nova, or tossing out frozen orb.

With this build you will never ever have to stand still, put out solid DPS and if you're cleaving, top meters. Icy Veins gives +45% multistrike when glyphed, so you're chilling with a permanent 45%+ multistrike bonus. I sit passively at 20%, so with buffs and icy veins, you're into the 70's% if you're doing it right. That means that when you Water Jet, you're going to probably proc your FF Bolt twice and its going to proc ice lance goodness at least once.

You won't find this build anywhere else.

Enjoy.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Exodus

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

link?

»Today's MMO Champion RSS Feed

That's from the MMO notes today. But all of it is based on the interviews with the developers that Final Boss and CTR had this weekend.
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar to Exodus

to Exodus
I wish you had something similar for boomies.. poor arses can't do crap while moving, yeah maybe I get the instant starsurge on level 94 or 96 or even 100... but you can only cast max 3 and it very slowly fills up to more

And I still keep dying to minor bosses that can't be kited.. I put up barkskin, all CDs, regrowth, etc

On dungeons always at the bottom of the meters, can't finish casting and the mobs are dead LOL, on bosses worst because they require some moving (most of them really)

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

To add on the Ice lance/Infinite Icy Veins build:

There are times (during bloodlust) where you'll get up to the max of 30 seconds. If this is the case, you can use some of the filler time to spam frost bolts and get some mad procs until you're down to about 20s left of Ice Lance spam. Don't do this when there are other priorities to cast.

Otherwise, you'll have an ebb and flow of icy veins duration as you're going to weave in two frost bolts every 25 seconds, ice nova every time it's up, and a GCD used on frost orb.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla

when you say "ice nova", i'm assuming you mean the super nova talent in the frost spec?

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

It's called Ice Nova.

Ginjer
Premium Member
join:2009-08-14
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

U Mad Bro?

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

U ICE NOVA BRO?

Ginjer
Premium Member
join:2009-08-14
Earth

Ginjer

Premium Member

Epic... I still don't know which toon to stick with. Going to start on the DK tonight. I am trying to get Garrison stuff rolling. I may end up finishing out the Warrior though. He is sitting at 96 and the Pally is 100. What do you think brotha?

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I have 2 100's and I'm working on the third, which is the DK. The fourth will be the Monk.

First: Frost mage
Second: Elemental Shaman

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to Eumaeus

to Eumaeus
After yesterdays moan, I did one dungeon last night and got shoulders and legs which rocketed my ilevel to 627. Still need a 630 ilevel trinket, belt, and chest, and still need to luck into the Slag Mines for the ring quest (I only have time for one dungeon, want the bonus loot). LFR is 635 min ilevel, despite most raid groups only asking for 630 for normal, but with those last 4 upgrades I should hit it. Might mean I can bypass the cesspool totally. Molton Core on Friday night if all goes to plan.

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Great info, thanks. It sounds like Ice Nova is going to be a better option than Frost Bomb. From what I've read Frost Bomb falls behind until the higher ilevels 660+.

I was putting some thought into a similar 100% mobility patent pending build but wondered if it was actually viable. Glad to see you have and are getting positive results. This build would have come in handy in the Tectus fight. I'm going to have to practice it.
djlar

djlar to Exodus

to Exodus
I can't believe they buffed frost mage even more! you're gonna be killing it, frostbolt and comet storm damage up 25%!

For Shamans it was 10% across

DK's 10% buff to frost spec

My poor rogue was forgotten and the MM hunter nerfed 10%

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Comet storm sucks.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Exodus:

Comet storm sucks.

so that's why they buffed it.

Cat5

Cat5 to Eumaeus

to Eumaeus
Finally learned all the new glyph recipes, so re-did TSM and am hoping to earn a little gold. I also spent about 2k on cards to finish up a Darkmoon Trinket and am trying to sell for 6k, will see if it sells. I've sold a few enchants for 1.5k with "free" mats so may look into doing that some more.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Are the decks worth using?

Cat5

Cat5

said by Exodus:

Are the decks worth using?

The trinkets are yeah. They are 640ilevel, can be upgraded (again via inscription), and have decent effects.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Oh, i didn't know they could be upgraded. Nice.

I've got half of an iron deck for the wife and half of a moon deck for myself, just from my own crafting.

I've got two chars at 100, both of them have level 3 garrisons. I'm building the scribe hut and upgrading it to level 2 on the second guy today.

I'm going to work on leveling up a third guy to 100 eventually. I don't like farming. I may try and figure out TSM some day and play the AH, but I never liked it and was never good at it.

But getting all my guys to 100 and getting maxed out Garrisons pumping out a shit ton of resources each day. That is consistent. It may be a bit of work, but at least I know what the payoff is in the end.

Plus, I want to try PVP on the rogue and healing on the monk. I already got my Shaman parked at 100 and will probably shelve him... I do not like the changes they made.

So, the DK is next. I like the mage though.

Eumaeus
join:2009-12-10
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus

Had my luckiest auction house flip of all time yesterday. Someone was selling a Lucky Double-Sided Coin trinket for 50k gold. My heart skipped a beat. Re-sold it for 120k gold in trade chat (no AH % fee, yay) for a smooth 70k gold profit.

Bought myself an ilvl 665 glove and neck and still walked away with about 25k extra spending money in the pocket. Now I'm keeping my eyes peeling for a 670 or 676 DPS caster cloak (I forget the name, Kyu-something or another).
vic6string
join:2014-11-19
Miami, FL

vic6string

said by Eumaeus:

Had my luckiest auction house flip of all time yesterday

Funny, I had my biggest single sale yesterday too. I dropped a Hatespark pet for 50k (I have 5 more... all purchased for about 15k each on average). The guy who bought it turned right around and put it up on the AH for 60k. I didn't have the heart to undercut him right away, so I'll put one on later today. I might hold on to the rest as I think it will be a Holy Grail type item after the raid is retired.

Eumaeus
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus

Ohh thanks for the reminder vic, I haven't been scanning for those. At this point I actually have enough of a bankroll to stock up on them. Those will be huge money early next year.

I was so sad last week when there was an everburning candle for 90k that I couldn't afford at the time. That one goes reliably for 150k on Sargeras. Now I'm trying to finally buy myself some BoE's while keeping my available funds over 150k or so in order to be able to jump on any great deal.
djlar

djlar

Do you guys know how much I could sell those JC neck pieces? I have the mats now but I'm hessitating..

Eumaeus
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus

said by djlar:

how much I could sell those JC neck pieces

I can't comment specifically for your server, but on mine they sell from 8-11k depending on the random secondary stat.

Cat5

Cat5 to djlar

to djlar
said by djlar:

Do you guys know how much I could sell those JC neck pieces? I have the mats now but I'm hessitating..

Just over 8k on my server. Won't be viable for long though, LFR will kill what little trade for crafted items there was.
vic6string
join:2014-11-19
Miami, FL

vic6string

Yeah, LFR is killing the market on the 640 stuff. Items that were easy 20k last weekend are now under 10.

Taino
join:2010-10-15
Port Richey, FL

Taino to Cat5

to Cat5
The crafted pieces can be upgraded though whereas so far the LFR pieces are a static 640. The upgraded items and the item that does the upgrade are still listing at high prices. I don't know if they are selling though.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie

When craftable items are upgraded, do the stats get re-rolled again or do they stick with the same random stats that were provided at time of 640 craft?

Eumaeus
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus to Taino

to Taino
said by Taino:

crafted pieces can be upgraded though

The problem is that to buy a crafted 640 and get it upgraded costs more (sometimes far more) than to just purchase a 655-665 BoE.