Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

Styvas

Premium Member

Hiring someone to clean rain gutters

If I'm hiring someone to clean my gutters, what questions should I ask with regards to insurance? I suppose my biggest concern is that they fall off my roof or their ladder and I'm somehow liable for costs, etc.

What specifically should they have in order for me to be protected?

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

Re: Hiring someone to clean gutters

In Ontario, ask for a copy of their WSIB certificate. Sole proprietors with no employees don't have to have WSIB coverage, so in that case you would expect them to have some sort of other insurance.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
Ensure they have insurance. For example any roofer (reputable) will state right on their quote that they are insured (most up to 2 million I think). You have every right to ask to see an up to date copy of the companies insurance certificate prior to work being started.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

It's like anything else in life you get what you pay for. You can demand all sorts of stuff from the guy but you will filter out the guys that will charge less. Your call.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

It's like anything else in life you get what you pay for. You can demand all sorts of stuff from the guy but you will filter out the guys that will charge less. Your call.

Exactly. I had a guy off Kijiji install my garage door opener last winter. I'd use him again in a heartbeat and recommend him to my friends. He was cheap, paid in cash and did a better job than I would have ever expected.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

In Ontario, ask for a copy of their WSIB certificate. Sole proprietors with no employees don't have to have WSIB coverage, so in that case you would expect them to have some sort of other insurance.

+100

NEVER let anyone on your property to do work without a CURRENT WSIB certificate or proof of general liability insurance ($2MM minimum).

WSIB sends the clearance letter to you, as does the contractors insurance broker. Do NOT accept proof of insurance from the contractor directly - only from WSIB or the insurance broker. I've seen forged 'proof' before.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned)

Around here you start nitpicking and even the legit contractors will peg you as an asshole they rather not work for at any price.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

The company I contacted wants $95 for the job, which seems like a lot. At least, it's enough that I might as well contact other non-Kijiji people for a quote, as I doubt I'm saving much by finding someone through classifieds. If it's an established company with a website, etc., they're probably more on top of the insurance stuff. I asked what this Kijiji guy has, but haven't heard back yet.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

95$ sounds reasonable considering the risk and work to be done.

It always amazes me how people devalue the manual labour of others yet if I said considering what you do at work you are asking too much you would have a kinipshit.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I didn't say it was unreasonable. I said it sounded like no deal. If I'm going to pay full price, I'll contact a reputable company, not some guy on Kijiji. Sensitive much?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Just for shits and giggles I called a "reputable" company here and was told it would be close to $200.00 if I put the waste to the curb and they couldn't get here for a couple weeks.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I'm sure the price depends on many factors. We've got about 50 linear feet at the most. YMMV

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
Yeah, I paid $75 to have it done at my old house by someone for cash. $95 is not at all out of line for a cash job.

Thing is, when I called him back to do it at my new house, he did it for $20. And he would have done it for free if I didn't jam some cash into his hand. He was thankful for all the business I sent him.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Back on topic, anyone else have anything to add about insurance that I should be asking about? Price is only a factor with regards to what I'm willing to pay before I suck it up and face my fear of heights.
Styvas

Styvas to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Does he service Hamilton? A recommendation is always better than a stranger from the internet.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

Exactly. I had a guy off Kijiji install my garage door opener last winter. I'd use him again in a heartbeat and recommend him to my friends. He was cheap, paid in cash and did a better job than I would have ever expected.

My concern here is that if an accident occured where would the liability "fall". If you can put your hand on your heart and know for certain that you have no liability then your advice is useful. If not, then your advice is not useful and perhaps dangerous.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

In my own case, I'm pretty sure that I've got $2M liability through my home insurance for stuff that happens on my property; however, I'd rather not be the one having to go through that hassle to claim (and never be able to get home insurance again at an affordable cost).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

Does he service Hamilton? A recommendation is always better than a stranger from the internet.

He does work locally but it probably wouldn't be worth him to travel him to the Hammer just to clean eaves.

He came recommended to me by someone as well, so I understand entirely about wanting a recommendation. The guy who I got to do the garage door was from Hamilton though and I had no recommendation. Took a chance, and I was glad I did because it worked out great.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

If I ever have a garage and need work done on the door, I'll be back in touch.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

My concern here is that if an accident occured where would the liability "fall". If you can put your hand on your heart and know for certain that you have no liability then your advice is useful. If not, then your advice is not useful and perhaps dangerous.

It's not dangerous in the sense that your home owners policy will cover anything that happens, if it should happen. I suppose this might be a bigger issue in the GTA, where insurance fraud is rampant. Someone might intentionally fall off your roof just for the payout. Stuff like that doesn't happen around here.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Re: Hiring someone to clean rain gutters

I've sent a request for a quote off to another company that has a proper website, etc. We'll see what they have to say.
DSA
join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

DSA

I had a guy going from door to door looking for odd jobs, charged me $20.00 to do the gutters on the house and garage.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Styvas

MVM

to Styvas
I got one of these and do it myself.

Blake
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to peterboro

to peterboro

Re: Hiring someone to clean gutters

said by peterboro:

It always amazes me how people devalue the manual labour of others yet if I said considering what you do at work you are asking too much you would have a kinipshit.

Annoys me to no end as well. As I've mentioned on here before, I am co-owner of a construction side business. People are always quick to say "well someone else quoted me $x less" then go with them. I could care less. I have a full time job, and the business is more of an investment piece of mine from an inheritance I received with a friend and partner of mine running it day to day with work just about year round.

We have insurance, advertising, taxes and gas for full size pickups pay to for. Not kijiji ads, cash and minivans or uhaul trucks. Like anything else in life, you get what you pay for 9/10 and I don't understand how how a government desk jockey (I live in Ottawa, this is 90% of our clients) can estimate the cost of someone else's labor. If I was to estimate the value of someone sitting at a computer all day pushing paper, it would be a lot less than the value of someone working for work.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to Styvas

MVM

to Styvas

Re: Hiring someone to clean rain gutters

If you want it done right and want peace of mind. . . Pay the money to get it done right and done safely. . . . which basically translates to ,. . . avoid the fly-by-night idiots doing cash jobs and resist the temptation to grab the cheapest bidder.

»barrie.ctvnews.ca/a-65-y ··· .2088538

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I'm quite certain this is a thread about proper insurance, not discount services.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

They go hand in hand, though...

If someone's charging a real, workable cost per hour; that covers payroll, overhead, and (gasp) profit; they'll most likely be insured, registered, and otherwise on the up and up.

A trunk-slammer, working cash jobs, is likely not to...

You've been told what to look for - licensed by the municipality; WSIB and/or proof of insurance... If a guy can produce those, doesn't ask 'why' or put up a fuss, he's probably got his bases covered...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Do they make a 30' version?

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Exactly!

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

I got one of these and do it myself.

Blake

Would that device flush out a trough packed with wind blown maple and oak leaves? I found the best way is to just pick them out by hand along with rotted stuff, roofing granules and mud . My front trough is only one story up so don't mind that height. Its connected to the storm drain so try to I avoid all the debris potentially clogging the drain tile. Back trough hardly gets any leaves.