spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bbwithdrawls
join:2008-08-30
Vanleer, TN

bbwithdrawls

thinking on exede but have questions

extremely frustrated with my T1 at 385 mth, just had a 3 day outage again, have had outages for last 4 months 2-3 a month , a healthy sla does nothing for me if its down for days at a time

couple questions
free zone, is this at the speeds advertised or a throttled speed?

bill taxes and fees , what kind of taxes and fees will be added to the 20 gb plan , live in 37181.

recourse if system does not work as advertise 3 months down the road,
viasatguy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA

viasatguy

Premium Member

The free zone is full speed, not throttled.

At $385/month you are currently paying for 1.544 Mbit/s you would be able to buy a couple 20 GB plans at 12 Mbit/s down, 3 Mbit/s up

Best way to get answers on rates and any extra fees that may apply is to check »www.exede.com and or send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

james1979 to bbwithdrawls

Premium Member

to bbwithdrawls
While the late night free zone is not throttled, you can't expect to get the same speed as during the metered period. You might get similar speeds, slight to much slower speeds, and I suppose you might get faster speeds. LNFZ speeds are going to depend upon the download habits of the other subscribers sharing your beam. I've never noticed significantly slower speeds during the LNFZ myself, but then I don't do a lot of speed tests during the early morning hours. I do occasionally watch Netflix, and I have never had problem getting full 1080p HDTV during the LNFZ.
said by bbwithdrawls:

recourse if system does not work as advertise 3 months down the road

There is nothing in Exede's contract to let you out without paying a ETF, but I wouldn't worry about that. Exede is good about under promising and over delivering on speeds. There's no reason that comes to mind to expect that your system won't perform just about the same 3 months later as on the day it was installed. I've been using Exede-12 for over 2 years now. When it was installed, I would often get download speeds of 20-23 Mbps. Now my speeds usually top out at around 19 Mbps which is well above the advertised 12 Mbps.

Are you aware of some inherent issues with satellite Internet such as latency (ping times) of around 2/3rds a second, weather related outages (which tend to be brief for me), and then the problem of secure websites (anything using SSL such as HTTPS) being "unaccelerated" and therefore rather slow to browse? If interactive online games are important you, then satellite Internet may not be right for you. (There is a gaming topic pinned at top of the HughesNet side if you do play Internet games.) VOIP works - the delay is noticeable but tolerable.

Browsing is a bit different experience with satellite Internet due to the latency and the HTTP acceleration. Pages don't load instantly. After clicking on a link, there is a pause, and then usually several seconds later, the page pops up. You'll get used to that, and web pages with images should open much faster than on a T1 line. The last issue that I can think of to mention is that satellite Internet more complicated than other Internet services, meaning that there are more things that can go wrong. But Exede-12 has been pleasingly reliable for most of this year, and it is just getting more reliable. (As I complained about it, I feel that I should point out that there was a problem with Yahoo and Yahoo mail earlier this year, but that got fixed eventually.)

For my uses, I would much prefer Exede-12 over a T1 line.

bbwithdrawls
join:2008-08-30
Vanleer, TN

bbwithdrawls

Good info to know , I work from home 4 days a week , I was able to test drive a system here at the house about 6 months ago and checked if out and all my tools I use , vpn, web ex , rdp, voip through communicator worked really well

Im concerned that performance will suffer as they experience what most isp's do and oversubscribe , sounds like there is no guarantee on performance at all

also on repairs , I assume that once a install is done and if I have issues down the road , dish needs realigned or a component fail who does that ?, is there a charge for someone to come out and how long do they take , I cant wait 3 days for a modem to be mailed ,

I just went through this with My T1 , outage Monday this week and it was finally late yesterday afternoon for the local yokels to make the repairs to their lines, down 4 days which meant I had to pack up and drive in 130 miles round trip every day , again a sla means nothing if its not working , i originally provisioned this with the thought of having a wisp but att cannot keep the infrastructure up long enough to make it worth my while , had it for 4 years now and out of 48 months 22 months have infrastructure related issues , ( never my routers but they try and blame them )

I have a T1 because there is nothing else , no cable dsl or even cell phone coverage for an air card

Im just looking for a reliable alternative, no gaming , i do download movies but the lat night zone can take care of that
Lab Rescuer
join:2014-11-14
USA

Lab Rescuer

Best thing you can do is locate a reputable local installer. A solid install is your key to happiness with Exede (coupled with an installer that will stand by his work) even if you have to spend a few extra $$$. My "local" installer is some 80 miles away. Might want to check over in »wildblueworld.com/forum/ - there's an installer over there who hangs out over there, is always helpful, and it looks like he may be within range of you.

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

james1979 to bbwithdrawls

Premium Member

to bbwithdrawls
said by bbwithdrawls:

Im concerned that performance will suffer as they experience what most isp's do and oversubscribe , sounds like there is no guarantee on performance at all

When I was a potential customer for Exede-12, I recall reading on this forum that "someone" from ViaSat said they weren't going to do that. Indeed they seem to be having a problem attracting new long term customers to Exede-12. I recall reading in one of the news articles posted here that Exede is now focusing on getting more money from existing customers (by selling more data I hope) and less on attracting new customers.

No satellite ISP can guarantee speed. They can advertise speeds that customers can expect to receive most of the time.
said by bbwithdrawls:

also on repairs , I assume that once a install is done and if I have issues down the road , dish needs realigned or a component fail who does that ?, is there a charge for someone to come out and how long do they take , I cant wait 3 days for a modem to be mailed

From the customer service agreement: "After the first 90 days, a $14.95 shipping charge applies to Equipment replaced by mail, and a $95.00 service charge applies for Equipment replaced with an in - home service call"

There is no mention of repair time. The suggestion of finding an installer in your area is a good one. I suppose that you could pay him extra to get an expedited repair(?) (Now I've never had an equipment failure after using satellite Internet for nearly 12 years. I did need a dish realigned due to it being a tree mount.)

You could do what I once did and have both Exede-12 and HughesNet Gen4 installed. Having both systems was the most reliable thing that I could think of. You would still have weather related outages however.