uniqs
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to NormanS

to NormanS

Re: Spot on!

Not anymore. Gotta do a bunch of stuff online. Job searching online is a must.
jjeffeory

1 recommendation

jjeffeory to Dville

to Dville

Re: It's a LUXURY

You can make the same argument for electricity and running water at home.

chuch
join:2001-04-11
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

chuch to Nanaki

to Nanaki

said by Nanaki:

No longer true. You can not even find a job any more with out it nor apply for most. I my self hate on line job applications much prefer paper ones.

I was unemployed for 7 months recently and the online application process is a nightmare. My biggest issue is that even when you upload a properly formatted resume or CV, you still need to enter all the information from your resume on the application.

I don't understand why an application requires a resume/CV and then asks for all the same information. There were times I would just give up on the application process because it became so cumbersome that I figured the company was so poorly organized that I wouldn't want to work for them in the first place!
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned) to Dville

to Dville

Re: It's a LUXURY

Rofl. Most libraries limit the time online to 1 or 2 hours a day. It can take over 3 hours to complete one application. Minimal time for one job application online is 45 minutes to a hour and that is for me to do it. I have a very high typing speed with very good accuracy. For most people to do a single application will be a minimal of 1 hour to 90 minutes and that is for a "short" online application. So at best the average person filling out job apps in pretty much any public library will get 1 to 2 done before they run out of time.

As for job fairs give me a break. There are at best 1 to 2 per year in north east ohio. 1 in cleveland and 1 in akron. I went to one back in the day as a employer i left before a hour was up. There we so many work from home scams and scammers and other types of scam jobs that i was afraid id end up punching a couple of them out and end up in jail.

Internet at home was a luxury back in the days of dial up but it is far from that today. Internet has been a necessity for about a decade maybe a little longer. I had a job in 2010 that paid me via one of those lame pay cards. Thankfully i was able to transfer it from that stupid thing to my bank account but could only do so by yep a website.
Nanaki

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned) to chuch

to chuch

The real problem is almost no company uses their own application. These use a template appkication and stick their name on it. So while they them self do not requires a resume (mcdonolds fast food in general and factories) the template is made for say skilled labor. The company just picks one and runs with it. And i agree these online apps all suck. One fast food joint has paper applications and online. Just for fun i clicked on one. It was about 30 pages of total unrelated nonsense. There paper application was 1 page front and back so 2 total pages. I was able to fill it out (never turned it in) in under 2 minutes. I even included bogus information for a felony record that i do not even have (had my self as a master mind of a big bank robbery from the 80s). I filled out the online app and it took me almost a hour. That one was hosted by brassring a company known to data mine and sell your personal information. Using a new temp email that email began getting spam in large doses with in 12 hours. It now gets about 20 to 30 per day including scams such as the some one has sent you money crap aka nigerian bank scam.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by elray:

Meanwhile, how is our hero Dane doing with his "$40/month*" Gigabit+voice deployment?

Running into the same NIMBY brick wall as AT&T.

Is that the case in Sebastopol, Brentwood, and the Northpoint Commerce Center ("and beyond") ?
elray

elray to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory
Nor do you get to dictate that the rest of us underwrite your "need".

GPON
@66.110.233.x

GPON to WhatNow

Anon

to WhatNow
said by WhatNow:

I don't know how Fios is constructed.

It uses GPON which is an extremely common standard. No equipment needs to be upgraded except for perhaps the backhaul from the GPON node to the central office - each node serves about 64 homes.

My regional provider offers 1Gbps for $74/month using GPON. When they started offering it, it was a software flip on their side and I went from 100Mbps to 1Gbps in about 3 minutes.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to elray

MVM

to elray
said by elray:

Is that the case in Sebastopol ...

It isn't even February, yet!
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

jjeffeory to elray

to elray
It'a not MY need. It's societal norms.
elray, you're just a little over the top with that.

I'm taking the middle road.

You're just trying to pick to diffuse discussion of the real issue at hand.

I'm not trying to kill people's businesses, BUT I also do like seeing my fellow citizens being the victims of over priced and lesser quality internet that much of the civilized world enjoys.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to elray

to elray
So exactly how much Verizon stock do you own? lol

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro to tubbynet

Premium Member

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

and i would gladly pay $70/mo to show how big my e-penis is

Ok I am now cleaning my Red Bull from my monitor and keyboard, but that was freaking worth it. Big high five for that one.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to 54761437

to 54761437
I have the unfortunate position of not having to disclose such holdings, since I hold none.

We're too risk-averse to trade equities.

duck
@74.124.170.x

duck to existenz

Anon

to existenz
I have 1Gbps service too that is $70 (not Google Fiber- a regional telephone company). I do not need that much speed- but the price is right considering its less than what the other ISP (cable company) in town is charging for 50Mbps.

wxmanunr
@208.107.132.x

wxmanunr to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt

Midcontinent Communications Gigabit

»www.midcocomm.com/midcogig/

So most of SD/ND will have gigabit at their house in 2017.